Intimidated by the men in the weight section of gym!

Options

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I scoff at bird legs boy, back curls with bicep assist, 30 set guy on bench, gallon jug of water guy, shrug and flex in front of the mirror guy, screamer guy, half squat dude, vanity leg press guy, dumbbell dropper guy, and flirt with all females guy much more than I care about a woman working out.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I feel I should comment, since I actually am one of those men, and actually have first hand experience of having a man's brain;

-someone new? (I can promise most never notice clothes, sometimes lack of them, but never the clothes)

-#Op op op op oppan Gangnam Style# (or whatever is playing)

-is my rest period up yet?

-No guy, that's great, I love reaching around you, get your bench a little closer to the rack why don't you?

-See, if she's brand new, why is the only other person trying to lift with decent form?

-Oop! That must be my rest time up
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    One reason you get looked at, among several, is you're a new face in that part of the gym. Go in, do your work. Ask for a spot/technique help as needed. Once they see you're there to train, there should be no issue.

Remember also, anyone making you uncomfortable at the gym is the person with the problem. You're there to work.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Go to a hardcore body building gym. Not a commercial gym. You'll either get people offering assistance or leaving you alone.

Commercial gyms are full of pervs, hard core 'spit N sawdust' gyms, they're there to train. Most built guys are soft as they come, like me.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    You are there to train, not to care about what others do, male or female. Yeah they might be looking, and thinking you look finnne when you do a squat, i know because i would be one of those guys, it lasts about 3 seconds in our heads then we could give 2 sh*ts about you. If any of them try to hit on you, tell them to *kitten* off, more then likely you will get away with it because there is always the bigger guy to pull the other ones back into line.
    I wouldn't be so blunt but I agree. As long as you're putting in work, no one will care.

I seen one of the greatest sights the other day. A lady squatting 315, *kitten* to ground. Most guys can't even do that.
    Yup. It's very unusual to see women in the weights section in the UK, but the ones that are there regularly get the same respect as everyone else.

Work hard, and nobody cares whether you have to two love nuts hanging between your legs.

They get the upmost respect from me and is one of the big reasons me and my misses got together - she trains, trains HARD and trains with no BS, gets on with it and lifts hard and heavy.

She's had nothing but respect from the guys at the gym and now they've actually started asking her for advice... so its gone full circle.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When i first started weight training i was the same, and the gym had a separate little room where there used to be a punch bag so i used to take all my weights in there and train.

I've not been able to go to the gym for a few months now due to an injury (sad face!!!!) but im desperate to get back! The gym is being refurbed and all new equipment so I cannot wait to get back in Jan and hit that weights arena! The big roidy blokes can just move over (even closer to the mirror!!) to make room for me.. I no longer care! :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    BTW us bigger guys do have feelings too! Just because I look like

17774_10151151416541611_344287095_n.jpg

Doesn't mean I am devoid of feelings!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Ha, a million times this. People think I'm an ogre or something. I really hate confrontation and feel really awful if I ever upset anyone.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I posted that btw as it seemed ok for people on this thread to use all kinds of names for us.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Ha, a million times this. People think I'm an ogre or something. I really hate confrontation and feel really awful if I ever upset anyone.

Gotta agree! Some of the nicest guys I've ever met are big, muscular "meatheads" (as some would say)
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just do your thing. I find that the guys in that area tend to check out what everybody is doing...must be a testosterone thing :-)

I've gotten to know most of the guys in the weights area of the gym pretty well. Most of the time now they comment when I'm doing something badass in the gym now. They are great guys with hearts of gold.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This probably makes me a big sissy. But my gym does have a private woman's weight room for this reason. I use the floor for cardio, but when it comes ot weight lifting I o in the private section. If I had ANY upper body strength, I wouldn't be quite so embarassed.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Just do your thing. I find that the guys in that area tend to check out what everybody is doing...must be a testosterone thing :-)

Question.

How do you know they are checking out you?
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    So I've just started weight training and for my first few sessions the weights area (that is still a bit of a foreign area for me) was nice and quiet. Got to the gym last night, it was packed with BIG, scary-looking blokes, all prancing around and not doing a great deal.

I felt like they were ALL staring at me and probably thinking "what is she doing in here"

What advice can all the weight training females on here give me.. I really want to stick to doing this programme but I really found the experience very off-putting last night. Squatting especially!

I totally agree with you on this! I'm just getting advice on how to start weight training but then my next step will be daring to go into the 'mens area'. Think I'll feel a lot better if I actually look like I know what I'm doing.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    So I've just started weight training and for my first few sessions the weights area (that is still a bit of a foreign area for me) was nice and quiet. Got to the gym last night, it was packed with BIG, scary-looking blokes, all prancing around and not doing a great deal.

I felt like they were ALL staring at me and probably thinking "what is she doing in here"

What advice can all the weight training females on here give me.. I really want to stick to doing this programme but I really found the experience very off-putting last night. Squatting especially!

I totally agree with you on this! I'm just getting advice on how to start weight training but then my next step will be daring to go into the 'mens area'. Think I'll feel a lot better if I actually look like I know what I'm doing.

How do you think I started when I was smaller? Yep, rolled into the weight area, felt awkward, lift, ate and grew!
  • beautmel
    Options
    I posted that btw as it seemed ok for people on this thread to use all kinds of names for us.

Matt- i didn't mean to offend any of the big guys. I'm in awe that they could probably bench press me if they wanted. Maybe one day, when I've put on a bit of muscle and drank my brave pills I might actually talk to them and make friends..

for now, i still feel scared!

:blushing:
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hun, I felt the same way at first! Just get into your zone and ignore it. The more you start lifting the more they will stare and are probably just surprised or happy to see a girl in the weight room! You'll feel even more comfortable over time. :)
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    They probably think that you are hot, I doubt they are thinking "what is she doing in here". Nothing to worry about, be strong and just do it. Don't let this put you off, weight lifting is great for everyone.

Good luck!

Yup ^^^ I would rather have a pretty girl in the weight room then some sweaty dope like me :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

How do you think I started when I was smaller? Yep, rolled into the weight area, felt awkward, lift, ate and grew!

The concept that guys have feelings is often overlooked on here.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Matt- i didn't mean to offend any of the big guys. I'm in awe that they could probably bench press me if they wanted. Maybe one day, when I've put on a bit of muscle and drank my brave pills I might actually talk to them and make friends..

for now, i still feel scared!

:blushing:

You don't didn't insult just others have thrown names like meatheads, roidys etc etc.

I don't think I'd get on very well here if I came in same I just saw some beached whale/fat ***** doing XYZ. So no offence caused by you!

I do understand feeling slightly nervous, I do when I move between gyms myself!