2»

Replies

• mirasolabeille
    Options
    This thread is so helpful to read.
  • SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I really do appreciate everyone's input.

I have thought about doing OA, but I'm honestly afraid. I hate being the new girl.

Sadly, I have always had some sort of disordered eating. When I was 13 I became anorexic. Not severe, but enough to where my family and friends KNEW what I was doing. Whenever I would eat, it was very very small, and never anything healthy. Think a small order of fries, tops. Once I was able to move past that, I felt the need to overcompensate for everything I had "missed out on". Back then, I had the metabolism though to where I could run through Burger King, get a large double whopper with cheese meal, and lose a pound. Then I had my daughter. EVERYTHING changed. No more great metabolism, no more eating whatever I liked while staying thin. So I ballooned after having my daughter. Which led to me feeling depressed all the time. Which is where I am today. All this just makes me feel crazy and I just want it to stop.
  • pastancil
    Options
    Been there. Done that. There is a book called The End of Overeating by David Kessler that actually explains what is going on to cause that. The book is excellent, though fairly clinical as it discusses various tests in laboratories that have been done to help with the understanding of Binge Eating Disorder (which, I read the other day, has now been identified as a true eating disorder). Reading the book really helped me put a stop to many bad eating habits. Won't say the cravings have completely gone away, but will say that I have it under control. Good Luck to you.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For me, I learned it from my mother. To this day, she swears she never eats any sweets of any kind. However, she will stuff her pockets with cookies and cake, and go into her bedroom or sewing room, or as I live and breathe, into the closet, stuff everything in her mouth at once, choke and gag, and come out brushing the crumbs off herself and denying utterly that she ate anything.

I'm not that bad, but when I'm alone I do get this feeling that now's my chance! Now I can do whatever I want, finally, with nobody to know and nobody to judge and nobody to comment.

Except me: I know, and I judge myself, and I comment on my own behavior, not with kindness and not with understanding.

Becoming self-aware enough to be able to view this emotional habit without judgement and with acceptance was a very large step to overcoming it, for me.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When you say you ate a whole bag of Cheetos, do you mean the size of bag that has two or three servings in it? If that's the case, eating that and a few handfuls of popcorn doesn't sound like compulsive overeating, it sounds like you were just hungry. Cutting calories makes you hungry, and being hungry makes it hard to resist eating.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was just realizing here recently that I do this too! I'm really good at work or if my husband is at home but when I'm alone I eat crap and can't seem to stop myself. It's just mindless binging. I also need to keep the crap out of the house. I always say "I'll only eat 1 or just a little" and it always ends up being the whole freaking bag.

Some great suggestions here on overcoming this. I hope they help you AND me! Perhaps now that we've admitted it out loud we can start to overcome it!
  • SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Robyn: Yeah it wasn't the HUGE bag, just the bag with a few servings. But I didn't feel hungry when I went to eat it. I just felt like I needed to snack. I would have been completely content the rest of the evening without it.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    So your brain was hungry even though your stomach was not. Again, that's totally normal, especially when cutting calories. You don't need to beat yourself up over it or make it into something bigger than it is. Just recognize it for what it is and practice changing your behavior. You're going to slip up sometimes, but just keep at it. I find sometimes when I have that snacky impulse, I am really more thirsty than anything, and drinking something helps. Even something not that great -- like a coffee or tea or diet soda-- is better than eating when you're not really hungry.