Tips for healthy late night snacks?

Options
So my absolute weakness is eating in the evening. I go crazy if I don't have some sort of snack as I usually work late into the night and need some food encouragement. I usually drink herbal tea with honey as that is very low calories, but like to drink it with something that isn't too bad for you, many times failing in that attempt. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My after dinner treat is usually fat free greek yoghurt with frozen blueberries and I sometimes crush a low calorie biscuit over the top which gives it a little crunch.... Extra protein for the day and for me a yummy dessert!
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had 1/2 cup of All Bran Flakes, 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/3 of a small banana....
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    toasted whole wheat pita or veggies with hummus
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1 or 2 skinny cow ice cream sandwiches right before bed. If you know you're going to snack then anyway, save some calories for it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to snack then anyway, save some calories for it.

^ That's what I'd do. Just eat fewer calories during the day so you can eat more calories at night.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I just got PopSecret 100 calorie bags of popcorn and they are awesome. It's a lot of popcorn and a perfect late night snack while watching TV. Also love skinny cow desserts or a cup of sugar free hot chocolate.
  • bara_rei
    Options

^ That's what I'd do. Just eat fewer calories during the day so you can eat more calories at night.

This is what I do as well. I know that I like to eat more at night and to have a big dinner so I usually only eat about half my calories during the day and save the rest for after I get off work. That way I can eat 500 cals for dinner and 200 after in snacks (I like 100 cal bags of things like popcorn, cookies or Weight Watchers ice cream) and it isn't a problem.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Oatmeal is always good. I can't sleep without eating some sort of carbs within in hour of going to sleep. Sometimes I'll have an apple but oatmeal is more filling.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Agreed x3.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My healthy late night snack is always ice cream.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I like a protein shake w/ peanut butter.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything that fits in your cals/macros is good. If you struggle at night, why not save some cals so you have them when snack time comes?
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My weakness is also late night snacking. If it wasn't for late night snacking, I would be doing so much better. Bump!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I save calories or workout to earn some for low fat frozen yogurt.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    peanut butter, almond butter, etc.

Fiber will help you a lot, most of the stuff that is "fat free" tends to be chock full of carbs and other stuff that probably we shouldn't eat.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    mozzarella cheese stick
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop is my go to evening snack. The whole bag (6-8 cups) is only 120 calories, only 2g of fat, and low in sodium. What else can you eat 6 cups of for only 120 cals?
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like eating peanut butter before bed. It's one of the highest calorie things I eat all day, but I just like to go to bed feeling satiated.
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to be the spoiler here! I would say up your cals during the day to avoid the late night binge. Depending upon your activity level, 1200 cals is not enough during the day. Having to snack at night either results from habit, or still too hungry from lack of calories throughout the day. I usually try for a piect of fruit with peanut butter, or greek yogurt. Neighborhood of 1 - 200 cals. Or if I workout in the evening, a protein shake.