Ever Feel LIke Its Too Much??

Options
Do you ever feel like your goal is SO far away that its almost unattainable? Thats how I'm feeling today :( Needing support!

Replies

• rodeogal1985
    Options
    Make smaller goals!! My goals range from 1) make sure you drink at least 64 oz of water a day, 2) Leave a small portion on your plate with each meal (can save up to 200 cal per meal!), 3) When I lose another 10 lbs and reach 160- I am going to purchase myself a nice pair of riding boots~
  • LSwan2
    LSwan2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I see I'm a little older than you, but the goal is the same weight loss. I have my weight barometer set at 1/2 lb per week but it does not always happen. As you get into the weight loss thing, you start to realize some things about yourself and figure out why you didn't lose on some weeks. Lots of the problems are own attitude. Slow goes the turtle, but he was the one who won the prize. You can make it happen. I would have to tell you I'm a prayer person also; and that helps a bunch. :)
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Although it may seem far away, go HAMMMMM everyday and you will get there.
    This doesn't happen overnight so time is your friend. Don't think about how far away it is. Just celebrate your progress as you go.

GO HAMMMM, no regrets.
  • TooMuchMe88
    Options
    Don't focus on the end goal, or big number, cause that can easily freak you out. Focus on the little steps that will get you there.
    This is one day, and one pound at a time :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No. It's a lifestyle change. Yes, it's holiday time and I'm happy to have a few extra goodies, but that's not going to stop me from eating properly the rest of the time, as well as maintaining my workout schedule.
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    totally get that feeling...only 130 odd lbs to go...gah!! ive tried smaller goals ec. Im not sure if its a winter thing wanting to hibernate but im really tired and just want to eat crap. (not emotional eating btw)
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    Do you ever feel like your goal is SO far away that its almost unattainable? Thats how I'm feeling today :( Needing support!

You can do this. You just need to be sure to take one positive step a day towards your goal. That step might be going 10 minutes more on the treadmill, turning down a dessert that you want, or something like that. Remember, one positive a day.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Every time I see that I need to lose 100 lbs I think no way. It's impossible. Then I look at the success stories. There are so many that have lost more than I need to lose. They did it. I can too. I try to focus on a couple of pounds at a time so that I don't feel overwhelmed. The cliche that keeps going through my head is "inch by inch it's a cinch; by the yard it's very hard". HTH :flowerforyou:
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I believe in small goals too. I never have more than 10 lbs to lose according to my ticker bar. When that goal is achieved I lower my goal by another 10 lbs.

In fact at the moment I have only 5lbs to lose to my next target (to be overweight, I can't wait), even though I still have 35 lbs to lose total, that is too much too face for me. I still can't believe how much I have lost to date, but I did it one small step at a time )
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did but it also felt like too much to feel like I was dang near dying walking up a flight or stairs or getting up from a sitting position or bending etc. Losing weight is hard, maintaining your weight is hard and remaining overweight is hard. Just pick which hard you prefer.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It looks like (from your join date and ticker) that you're only just starting this process, so of course it's going to seem overwhelming. It must feel like you've got a massive mountain to climb. So, relax, breathe. This is going to take time. Don't let that panic you, but weight loss is slow. It's boring. And, when you reach your goal you still have to maintain, so this is never going to be a quick, temporary thing. That's why people tak about a "lifestyle change, not a diet". If you're going to be successful long-term, you need to make permanent changes. So, try to look at it not so much as this big task you have to complete, but (cheesy as it sounds) the first day of the rest of your life. This is it now, you've made the decision to get healthy.

If you haven't already, write down all your reasons for wanting to lose the weight, and keep that list handy. If you haven't, take measurements of you body now, and take some progress photos now, full-length and not wearing baggy clothes. It might be scary, but they are really going to help motivate you further down the line.

And be aware of this: losing weight is hard, but it doesn't have to be torture. You can (if you choose) still eat all the foods you love. You don't have to do any kinds of exercise that you absolutely hate (although, if you hate all exercise that may be a problem, but you can deal with that...) Everyone does it differently, but I strongly recommend not making radical changes to your lifestyle overnight. If you have serious issues with certain foods that trigger you to overeat them, then you may need to cut them out for a while, but in general, try not to be too restrictive. Logging calories will help you with portion control. You will have to make sacrifices, but you don't have to give up everything you like just for the sake of it. I still eat all the foods I love (including bread, cheese, chocolate, wine, pizza etc) and have not had a problem losing. Find exercise that you can really enjoy and will want to continue.

Finally, as others have said, try to break your goal down into smaller chunks. Whether it's the first 10 lbs, or losing 10% of your body weight, or reaching a certain BMI or body fat %. Also, try to make fitness goals. For example, I started the Couch to 5 K running programme, and became so focused on that, I made myself go out running even when I didn't feel like it. Not to burn calories, but to get to the next stage. And, keep reading the "success stories" to remind yourself that this can be done, and has been done, by people just like you, which means you can do it too.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    Time passes regardless of whether you're bettering yourself. The small results you see day by day, week by week, will add up over time. You just have to keep after it.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Remember it didn't come on overnight and it won't come off overnight either. Keep your eye ont eh prize and be patient. It will all be worth it in the end.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Nope! Make small goals, and reassess when you reach them I'm so close to my goal, but I'm pretty sure I'll go for an additional 5 lbs lost because I'm still not completely satisfied with my body. Small goals are key, it makes it seem so much easier.
  • curvychaos
    Options
    Although it may seem far away, go HAMMMMM everyday and you will get there.
    This doesn't happen overnight so time is your friend. Don't think about how far away it is. Just celebrate your progress as you go.

GO HAMMMM, no regrets.

Love this!
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Make smaller goals!! My goals range from 1) make sure you drink at least 64 oz of water a day, 2) Leave a small portion on your plate with each meal (can save up to 200 cal per meal!), 3) When I lose another 10 lbs and reach 160- I am going to purchase myself a nice pair of riding boots~

I love this idea! I feel like I'll never reach my goals at times. Like i've lost 20 lbs pretty easy but its so much harder to lose the other 20 lbs.. Although I know Im not as strict as I should be with drinking water and the little things that help. Im going to try this.
  • mitsi94
    Options
    I know how you feel. Every time I see that I need to lose 100 lbs I think no way. It's impossible. Then I look at the success stories. There are so many that have lost more than I need to lose. They did it. I can too. I try to focus on a couple of pounds at a time so that I don't feel overwhelmed. The cliche that keeps going through my head is "inch by inch it's a cinch; by the yard it's very hard". HTH :flowerforyou:

THIS! Read some of these success stories every day to help you realize that it can be done! Just like others have said, it is a slow journey but if you keep on working at it day by day, you will get there. Don't think you can't - there are so many AMAZING success stories here that should prove to you that you can!

I personally have not set an end goal or goal weight. For me personally, that is just discouraging because it is so far away and I have so much to lose. But, what keeps me going, is that I am seeing progress day by day, week by week, and month by month. It makes me want to keep doing what I'm doing (because it is working!) and see how far I can take it. I am one of those people that if I set that hard number goal, and then I don't quite make it or get there soon enough, it will be devastating for me. Now that I don't have an end goal, I don't have that pressure in my mind. I can just keep on keeping on, and keep on making progress, and be happy that it keeps working!

Hope you find some motivation that works for you!
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Definitely read success stories. I think that has been one of the most important parts of my success with weight loss this time. I see that it can be done everyday. Know that this isn't a phase, it's a process, it's a lifestyle. If you aren't committed to making it a lifestyle you have less chance for success. Find something to do when you hit that wall that says, "Just eat the damn zebra cake and start tomorrow!" For me it was walking, or playing a game with my kids. Anything to take your mind off what your mind thinks you need to eat.

We all know it is hard, but it is so worth it. I can't even begin to describe how worth it, it is! Honestly, when I was really overweight, I thought I felt good. I went into to this trying to disspell the idea that you have more energy, you feel better, sexy, happy when you aren't carrying extra weight. Because I thought I was happy, had energy, felt great, sexy which maybe I did...but definitely not on the scale I feel all those things today. So for me I couldn't prove that the theory that you felt better when you lost weight, but that's okay! I feel so great and I know I'm going to continue feeling great as this process continues.

Stay strong, stay focused and know you can do it!
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    only everyday!
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    Set mini goals! My first goal was 15 lbs by Christmas. Then maybe another 15 lbs or so by April. It's much easier to wrap your head around smaller goals. It's easy to become discouraged if you focus too much on your end goal.

It helps to have buddies to help you along! I spend a lot of time on MFP, reading success stories and connecting with like-minded people. It helps me stay focused!