Alternative to salad dressing

Options

Replies

• Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Interesting post with great ideas!.

I use black beans as my "sauce". I serve myself the salad and on top of it I add 1/2 cup of already made and seasoned black beans (I don't drain the sauce created by the beans)...then add the rest like chicken, corn, broccoli and/or other veggies. Sorta like the Chipotle restaurant salads in a big bowl. There is no need for dressing there.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil (healthy fat!) and balsamic vinegar on my salads.

I usually use this as well.

If I really want something creamy I'll make my own blue cheese dressing.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm Lebanese and always go with the traditional Lebanese salad dressing

olive oil
    lemon
    garlic (mushed, but you can skip this)
    salt to taste

I didn't put amounts because it depends on the size of your salad, and I just eyeball it, so you may have to try and taste.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm Lebanese and always go with the traditional Lebanese salad dressing

olive oil
    lemon
    garlic (mushed, but you can skip this)
    salt to taste

I didn't put amounts because it depends on the size of your salad, and I just eyeball it, so you may have to try and taste.

I also sometimes use or add a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses, if you can get access to it.
  • cathomer
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar! it's amazing, I need to get some really and figure out some warm salad ideas.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Mix Greek yogurt, hot spicy mustard and tumeric to make a thick dip for your salad
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i usually eat my salads plain, but if i put anything on them it'll be balsamic vinegar and occasionally olive oil.

i like the taste of plain, raw veggies!
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I second the others who have said a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    a little tip from my Italian nonna (grandmother). Add the vinegar first if it isn't mixed. Otherwise the oil coats the veggies and the vinegar just slides off. Lemon vinaigrettes are great too and I love doing a sweet balsamic with herbs and heating it up for a warm dressing over salad or veggies.
    Here is a good basic recipe for lemon vinargrette: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Salad/LemonVinaig.htm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want fat free you could try mixing different flavors of vinegar or citrus juice and mustards. Or just make your own with any variety of spices/herbs, olive oil and vinegar. Just a little balsamic vinegar and/or lemon or lime juice makes a nice simple dressing as well. Or top it with something like cottage cheese or salsa (tho store bought salsas are typically pretty high sodium as well)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you use regular salad dressing and you're concerned about the calories etc. just do the fork-dip method. When I go out and have a salad I get dressing on the side and do that and believe me it's enough dressing for each bite.

At home I measure out the appropriate amount.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I would throw a few strawberries (or another berry...like to try a different fruit), a heaping teaspoon of plain yogurt (Greek will make it very thick), and apple cider vinegar in a food processor.
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    (Hmmmm.... Do I wake the dead on an old thread, or do I start my own?)

My wife and I went to a fancy restaurant for our fifth anniversary, and they used freshly ground black pepper on the salad. I wasn't even tempted to use the dressing. Freshly ground black pepper is now my new favorite salad "dressing".... all by itself.

I eat garden side salads from fast food restaurants. The little packets of pepper are okay, but you need to use a lot of them to get anywhere close to enough pepper. Freshly-ground is best.

My sister has been a black-pepper-head for as long as I can remember. She loves it on rare beef. I wasn't as excited about pepper, but now I feel like pepper was "made" for salad. It works very well.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Oh, some nice ideas here!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    LOL, what a day for this post to come up. I brought a salad for lunch and don't you know I forgot my dressing today? I had a bit of tuna leftover from a sandwich in the fridge and was going to put it on my salad but at the last minute decided not to (darn). Oh well, I have some chick peas, cukes, & cherry tomatoes on it so it isn't "that dry". I will definately try some of the great ideas that have been posted.
  • stecrowe
    stecrowe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This kind of resembles ranch dressing
    1 cup raw almonds
    + - 1 cup water for your desired thickness
    1 clove fof garlic
    juice of 1 lemon
    spice as desired
    Blend up in blender

Another Recipe
    1 cup walnuts
    + - 1 cup orange juice for your desired thickness
    spice as desired
    Blend up in blender
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Vinegar, honey, and Mrs. Dash works for me. Might add some cayenne pepper if I'm feeling it. Also vinegar, plain yellow mustard, and honey. I likes my vinegar and honey! :laugh:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I know I pasted this somewhere, make your own. It is easy enough.

I typically do 1 part oil, 2 parts acid, 1 or more wild cards, salt and pepper, and maybe a bit of sweetener

wild cards can be herbs, onions, garlic, spices, veggies......
    acid can be vinegar or citrus juice

When I have zero time, I just do a quick blend of vinegar and oil (typically olive)
    If I have 5 minutes: a little oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, a tiny bit of honey, salt and pepper to taste. Shake it in a little jar. Use red wine vinegar and it is more tart. Balsamic is sweeter. Blend the two together and it is a nice blend. Use apple cider, and use it on a crisp salad with fruit.
    If I can wait 20 minutes for my vinaigrette to rest? Add chopped onions or garlic in any of the mixtures above.
    If I feel like using a blender: fresh herbs are great. Or you can chop them finely.

I love to use citrus juice too. Lemon, orange, grapefruit are all great. You may need some acid if they seem too sweet.

I keep my pantry stocked with several vinegars and oils at a time for different dressings. Typical: apple cider, red wine, champagne, raspberry and balsamic. Also chili oil, basil oil, lemon oil, different olive oil varieties....all are great.

And if you are really adventurous? Soy sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil, ginger and garlic makes a very good dressing.

You can use sweeteners ranging from honey and agave to mirin and jam. All can make a tasty dressing.

I have 1-2 bottled dressings I like, but it takes me 6 months to finish the bottle, i generally make my own.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention....if you like creamy dressings, use greek yogurt. Or tahini.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use Wishbone Fat Free Italian, it is 15 calories for 2 tbsp...... and I add a few splashes of Red Wine Vinegar