Haven't had that initial breakthrough

Options
OK... I've been on MFP for weeks. Here's a little background: I had a baby 8 months ago. Prior to pregnancy I had what I would call "NATURAL FINENESS"! I'm a nurse who also made a transition from the hustle and bustle of the hospital floor to the laid back clinic atmosphere. I was a person who was a fast food fanatic, POPEYES, PIZZA HUT, MAZZIOS, candies, cakes, MOUNTAIN DEW'S AND DR. PEPPER'S, etc., and after having my baby I filled up on Strawberry Poptarts!!! I'm talking about 2-3 packs a day meaning 4-6 tarts at 200 calories each plus meals. So I dedicated myself to cooking more, eating out WAY LESS, but i've yet seen a tremendous drop in the weight. I'm doing way more water, like (10) 8 oz. glasses + a day, I work out 3-4 times a week, and I even pay for a personal trainer... SO... WHERE'S THE PROGRESS? Anyone else, especially you successful MFP users, have or have had this problem... My body looks a little smaller, but I still see flab... My butt has lifted some tho'! Can anyone speak on this and tell me something that will help me one day be able to say, "I've lost 10-20 lbs..." I just want RESULTS!

Replies

• UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am not a successful candidate here - yet - but I have only been tracking religiously for a few days. However, I have been doing the gym thing intensely for about the same time that you have been on here. I have found that my body composition is changing from fat to muscle. This is something that is hugely frustrating because of course I wanted results on the scale right away...that hasn't been my experience. Other people are telling me I am looking good but I am like you...wanting to see more dramatic results.

I guess it is a question of being honest with myself - and I can only tell you what I have noticed in myself - and realizing that the exercise was not enough on its own. Now that I have been tracking even for the really short time that I have, I have seen where it is going wrong. Looking at the way I was living made me realize what direction I had to take. Maybe looking at the information you are logging and seeing trends in what you are doing food wise and exercise wise would help. Also, make sure to allow yourself some fun otherwise you will not want to continue...lame as it sounds I look forward to the really hot, long shower after my work out as a reward for my effort...small and simple thing at 0 calories which kind of makes my day.

Keep your chin up - from what you are describing you are not just controlling portions but doing an entire lifestyle overhaul and that can't happen over night. Focus on your victories so far - changing shape is awesome..high flying butt? GREAT!! Able to do more at the gym, or feel more energy in general? HUGE! Feel like your moods are more manageable? Or maybe that you don't have insane sugar cravings? (That's me and THAT IS HUGE). The scale is great but personally I want to make myself healthy so that I last in health longer than my mother did in my life (until I was 13), find some other important goals too to focus on, otherwise the scale (until is starts moving) will drive you bonkers!

How about we check in with each other once a month and see where we have gotten to in terms of results.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Logging EVERYTHING is the most important thing you can do when starting out. Have you been logging here. Open your diary and people can give better advice. Cooking is better than fast food, maybe. You could be cooking in a ton of oil and portions could be way out of size. Measure and/or weigh everything.

Take body measurements and not just use the scale.
  • Nechelle6
    Nechelle6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First, I would like to point out that you are making some progress; albeit small, and for this you should count as a move in the right direction :wink: I can't see what your daily food entries are, but perhaps you should be more aware of the portion sizes that you are eating. Remember, that you can be eating all healthy but if you are eating too much and not burning off the excess through exercise, it will add to your weight since it will turn into fat :grumble:

Another piece of advice that I can offer you is to change your perspective, and by this I mean not stressing yourself about the number on the scale. Focusing more on the inches lost and changes in your body composition will be more rewarding. For example, if you reached your goal weight but you were still flabby, would you be happy with that result? Or would you like to have more muscle, less fat and a killer shape no matter what the number on the scale says :wink:

Always remember that the number on a scale doesn't define you, and depending on your size your specific number that you are aiming for may not be what is best for you or it may not look the way you wanted to look like. If you need a little support feel free to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • kphillery
    kphillery Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! Truth is, I feel alot better just getting in the habit of exercising more and eating healthier; and i'm beginning to understand that this is a life change, and that a quick fix wont do the job!