How to increase grip strength?

Options

Replies

• DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For deadlifts, I started using one overhand and one underhand grip on the bar when grip became a limiting factor. It fixed the bar wanting to roll out of my hands. Feels a little awkward at first but now I can't do it any other way because it's so much easier.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For deadlifts, I started using one overhand and one underhand grip on the bar when grip became a limiting factor. It fixed the bar wanting to roll out of my hands. Feels a little awkward at first but now I can't do it any other way because it's so much easier.

I do my warmups with overhand and work set with mixed
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The only thing to increase your grip strength is to increase your back strength. Pullups, lat pulls, Kroc rows, deadlift, band pull-aparts
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it and it will improve your strength. Don't quit too early. If you are doing the max, I would expect one or two reps. Straps does help by little with an increase of two or three reps.

Nope.. 3 sets of 8
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I did have poor grip strength before and so just started using double overhand grip for as long as possible.

I ditched my gloves and now just use chalk when my hands start getting sweaty. I only switch to alternating grip for my last set, if that.

The longer I've been doing it the easier I find it. It only took me about 2 weeks dropping the weight by about 20kg before I could at least hold it long enough to get a set or 2 out before I needed straps. Now it's the same amount before I need chalk.

Realistically though - if you want to be able to hold something heavy for some time, you need to practice holding something heavy for some time. If you're willing to sacrifice lifting full deadlift weight for a couple of weeks I think you'll probably find that it stops being an impediment.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    just give it time
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Honestly, give it some time to develop. Here's my thoughts for just grip strength:

- NO STRAPS
    - Deadlift with a hook-grip up until you have trouble then switch to a mixed grip
    - Farmer's Walks: Somebody mentioned this above. Go as heavy as you can
    - Heavier barbell / dumbbell rows
    - Hammer curls
    - Pull-ups: You can even just do a static hang and hold your body weight for time.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase your grip strength then, INCREASE YOUR BACK STRENGTH!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

How would this work?
    Most peoples backs are stronger than their grips already, plus making your back stronger, for the most part is dependent on grip!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Grip things a lot, do farmers walks.

Do you use a normal overhand grip?
    Try hook or mixed grip.

Mixed grip is probably stronger, but I have to show love for the hook being a weightlifter!

Mixed grip helped me a TON. Also, as a girl, if they have a 35 lb barbell, I can grip it much easier. Oh, and also, I usually wer gloves (NOT STRAPS) with deadlifts. Maybe its psychological, but I feel like I have a better grip. I still can't do more than sets of 5 heavy, before my grip breaks, but it is better!

Other posters: Does grip strength correlate with jar opening? Because I can out lift anyone I work with, but I have to have the buck 25 asian post doc guy open my damn jars because I'm inept.
  • JNick77
    Options

How would this work?
    Most peoples backs are stronger than their grips already, plus making your back stronger, for the most part is dependent on grip!

The point is that if you're doing heavy DB or BB rows then your grip comes into play and you're indirectly working your grip strength while working on your back. There's a lot of discussion about a thing called "Kroc Rows" just Google it.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Squeezing a tennis ball. I have to do that for Pole, because if you don't have a good grip Poling, you could seriously injure yourself!
  • Jbirch76
    Options
    Chalk.
  • Jbirch76
    Options
    Honestly, give it some time to develop. Here's my thoughts for just grip strength:

- NO STRAPS
    - Deadlift with a hook-grip up until you have trouble then switch to a mixed grip
    - Farmer's Walks: Somebody mentioned this above. Go as heavy as you can
    - Heavier barbell / dumbbell rows
    - Hammer curls
    - Pull-ups: You can even just do a static hang and hold your body weight for time.

X2. Np
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing.

^^ This! Build finger strength by getting a hangboard.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ironmind makes awesome grippers in a variety of resistances.
    Switching to mixed grip helps a ton.
    Chins/weighted chins and barbell rows help a lot too.

Rock climbing is AMAZING for grip/forearms if you have access to it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Squeeze tennis balls.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I too, have a hard time gripping heavy weight and found that the straps do help a lot. Doing everything else they mentioned is great as well, but if u want something instant, get the straps. Also I would recommend the cloth ones over the other ones. They seem to give more flexibility in your hold.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The point is that if you're doing heavy DB or BB rows then your grip comes into play and you're indirectly working your grip strength while working on your back. There's a lot of discussion about a thing called "Kroc Rows" just Google it.

I understand that, and I know what kroc rows are, I just personally disagree with this being a good way to specifically target grip strength.

However if you're going that route, you could just say deadlift more! However if your grip is the weak point, you would want to find a way to catch the grip up quicker than just doing these exercises until it happens.
  • JNick77
    Options

I understand that, and I know what kroc rows are, I just personally disagree with this being a good way to specifically target grip strength.

However if you're going that route, you could just say deadlift more! However if your grip is the weak point, you would want to find a way to catch the grip up quicker than just doing these exercises until it happens.

You can DL more but one must be careful as it is an exercise that is taxing on the CNS.