Too much Sugar

Options
I am making my daily calorie intake for the most part but I am always over on my sugar, is that ok? Already this morning I am over 18 g with a small apple and a yogurt for breakfast.

Replies

• SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I'm no expert but the consensus seems to be natural sugar (like in apples) is healthy sugar and unnatural sugar (like in the yogurt) is bad sugar. As long as the unnatural sugar is kept low you'll be fine.
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    @washingtonn I have the same problem, especially when I eat a lot of fruit...but at the same time I've come to learn that you're only supposed to have a certain number of fruits & more veggies - that's supposed to change your sugar intake.

@SimonLondon that's good information - too bad MFP doesn't separate the good sugars from the bad sugars :(
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    I agree.....Im always over on my sugar intake but its because of the sugar thats in my fruit and milk. Make sure you have more natural sugar than added and you'll be fine! =)
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just stopped added sugar in my coffee and tea just to make sure. Im still trying to get use to it but by doing that I find fruit to be more sweeter and of course it tastes better.:tongue:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it. Minimizing processed sugars is a good idea but as long as you're obtaining adequate amounts of the essentials (protein, EFAs, fibrous veggies, fruit, etc) you'll be aok.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but the consensus seems to be natural sugar (like in apples) is healthy sugar and unnatural sugar (like in the yogurt) is bad sugar. As long as the unnatural sugar is kept low you'll be fine.

I think saying the sugars in yogurt are unnatural is misleading. Perhaps some of the non-fat yogurts have added sugars, but all yogurts contain sugar/carbs naturally and are not "bad" sugars.

Check out this page: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045700.asp
    Scroll down to the "A Tale of Two Yogurts" section to see a yogurt comparison. The next section, "HOW TO BUY THE HEALTHIEST YOGURT: 5 TIPS" is very helpful, too.

BTW I love the Oikos Greek Yogurts. Excellent to mix with some fruit like blueberries or strawberries.
  • washingtonn
    Options
    Thanks for the information, I'm headed to the commissary right now for an educational lunch.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I think saying the sugars in yogurt are unnatural is misleading. Perhaps some of the non-fat yogurts have added sugars, but all yogurts contain sugar/carbs naturally and are not "bad" sugars.

Check out this page: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045700.asp
    Scroll down to the "A Tale of Two Yogurts" section to see a yogurt comparison. The next section, "HOW TO BUY THE HEALTHIEST YOGURT: 5 TIPS" is very helpful, too.

BTW I love the Oikos Greek Yogurts. Excellent to mix with some fruit like blueberries or strawberries.

Yeah that was a bit generalized but you should have seen my frustration when I thought eating 3 yogurts a day was good for me to then find out it was PACKED with sugar.

I spent 20 minutes in a local supermarket yesterday and EVERY SINGLE low fat and non-fat yogurt I picked up had at least 13g of sugar (My recommended daily is 21). Seriously every single one! I got desperate and went for own-brands, cheapest, most expensive, nothing mattered. I could not buy a single yogurt with less than 13g sugar (highest was 19!) out of all the brands on display. I left completely defeated and empty handed..I LOVE yogurt!!

Hmmm... can you tell yogurts are a sore subject for me? :laugh:
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Yeah that was a bit generalized but you should have seen my frustration when I thought eating 3 yogurts a day was good for me to then find out it was PACKED with sugar.

I spent 20 minutes in a local supermarket yesterday and EVERY SINGLE low fat and non-fat yogurt I picked up had at least 13g of sugar (My recommended daily is 21). Seriously every single one! I got desperate and went for own-brands, cheapest, most expensive, nothing mattered. I could not buy a single yogurt with less than 13g sugar (highest was 19!) out of all the brands on display. I left completely defeated and empty handed..I LOVE yogurt!!

Hmmm... can you tell yogurts are a sore subject for me? :laugh:

Hi have you tried looking at low fat greek yoghurts. I'm sure the one i use to eat had much lower sugar levels like 4g per 100g I tend to buy 1kg pots and take 150g to work with me which is only 6g then. I totally understand tho as the yoghurt i usually eat is quite high in sugar
    Ben

PS i eat yoghurt with unsalted pistachio nuts. great for protien fibre and carb snack.