Cremation vs. Burial - Pets

Options

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Pricey, and somewhat insane, but I'll be turning my cat into a gem stone :)

http://www.lifegem.com/
  • Wow, people are really attached to dead things. Dispose of the body in the most environmentally-friendly way possible and move on. Pictures and memories should be enough.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My Border Collie Debo died a few weeks ago and I paid $125 cremation fees and they returned him in a nice locked box. All Vets and Crematoriums will work with you on the payments if you can’t afford it. I’ve done both in my life now, back yard burial and cremation. I will always go with cremation from now on. Sorry to hear about your hard decision.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    We have an amazing vet that we go to. We paid about 500 to 600 for our husky to be cremated and spread through out this gorgeous apple orchard. Our vet understands it all, he is so compassionate. We did this for all three of our pets. Its a piece of mind knowing that shes somewhere peaceful and so is her ashes.

I'm very surprised by these cremation costs (not questioning them, but wondering why they are so high). Just this May in Connecticut, I paid less than $200 for an individual cremation with ashes returned in a sealed tin for my 60 lb. husky/German shepherd cross
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    All of ours have been burial in the yard despite the ramifications of moving. I don't know that having the ashes in a container in the house would enhance the memory of the time they were with us in any way. I would think that a single picture would be more effective than that. (But of course, to each their own.)
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    First, I am so sorry that you are going through this. We lost our 2 labs exactly a year apart from each other.

We chose cremation. The vet made an imprint of their paws for us, and the ashes are still in the box...in the velvet bag that they gave use. When we have the money, we will purchase an urn for each them. She also gave us a copy of the poem 'Rainbow Bridge'.

Cremation is expensive, but, for us, it was worth the cost. They had 2 options where we went, single cremation (they were by themselves), or group cremation (they were with others). The group was less expensive, so we went that way...besides, they were social dogs...so I thought it was nice that they wouldn't be alone. I know that sounds crazy.

I like that we have their ashes. They are currently on our dresser. I do plan on making a shadow box for both of them, with pictures of them, their collars/tags, and a container of their ashes. They were awesome pets. Yes, part of the family...and I tear up when I think about them.

In some states it is illegal to bury your pet in the backyard...so I'd check that out.

Good luck with your decision. It's a tough one to make. I'm truely sorry for your situation.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're facing this decision. It sucks.

When my Eli died after 16 years with our family we had him cremated (he was a cat, cost $125). I took the ashes and buried them in a city park wilderness area near our home, by the side of a huge distinctive rock. That allows me to visit his grave even after we sell our present home (we plan to).

I chose cremation because I could not bear to think of the usual processes that happen after death happening to my Eli the Great Big Guy. Cremation is, well, cleaner.

Edited to add: Eli's cremation was a private cremation, meaning he was done alone, no mixing with other animals. I wanted his ashes back. A simple disposal cremation with others, no return of his ashes would have been $35.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    All of our pets -- one dog and two cats -- were buried. One of the cats was buried in my flower garden because that's where he spent the majority of his time. The dog was buried in a special place and then I buried our second cat "with" her because they were best buddies.

I'm very sorry that you have to go through this. It's never easy no matter how many times you do it.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    We buried our nearly 17 year old black lab, Pepper, under the crepe myrtle tree in our yard.
    Then we planted some day lilies over top of it so she blooms in the summer.

We're not moving so she'll always be there.

Sorry you have to go through this. :frown:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I had my first dog cremated, and had the last tennis ball she played with put in the box with her (she was a tennis ball FREAK). She chose me at the shelter, and she was my "soul dog", so I wanted to be able to keep her with me. I had to put another dog to sleep last year, but that was not by choice, and I didn't get to choose what happened afterward. I'm not sure what I would do with either of the dogs I have now. I might do the same and have them cremated. We're going to move in the next 4 yrs, and Stitch is already 12, so if he dies before we move, I wouldn't want to leave him behind.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    After an incredibly long and hard time dealing with my cat Toby's illness, we were so heartbroken as it was so sudden and happened in the matter of days...we decided to have him cremated. Yes, we spent 3000 dollars in the matter of 5 days on Toby between vet bills and around $150 for the cremation. But when I went and picked up that little wooden box, and had a beautiful card from the vet and the technicians with a paw print from him, I knew we had made the right choice. We keep him in our bedroom on a shelf with a pic.

Talk to your vet and what local vet crematories they recommend...you can find a good deal or work out some sort of payment plan, if you choose to go that route.

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida so you really can't choose Burial unless you go to a Pet Cemetary which is crazy expensive
    I chose Cremation for my Boxer and didn't get the ashes back. When I lost my Rottie I got her ashes back and for my little Pug that drowned in our pool.

I have them in wood boxes too with name plates. I also want to be cremated so for me it was easy to decide. I am upset I didn't get the Boxer's ashes back though.

I also have 2 parakeets that passed that my daughter refused to bury and insisted we cremate - 200.00 for two 20.00 parakeets but she was so upset so we have their ashes too.

I'm sorry you even have to decide this - I love my animals
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I had my 13 yr old dog cremated is a semi private cremation last year. There are several other animals done at the same time (with space between) so you do have the possibility of some...contamination?? However it was about 100.00 less than private.

Also I took a child safe non toxic ink pad and made a stamp of his foot about 6 months prior. It is now a tattoo on top of my foot.

foot.jpg

Love that tattoo idea!!!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    We've only buried the pets we've lost...yes, even the fish - the kids needed the closure of digging that little hole and covering it back up. There is something to the process that aids in healing, for my family at least. They still go out to the "grave sites" in our backyard and put up little crosses they've made with twigs/branches and such. And I'm careful not to run them over with the lawn mower.
  • momof2TONI
    Options
    I have done both. About 5 years ago, we had to have our cat put to sleep. (she had cancer) We owned our home at the time so we buried her in the backyard near the honeysuckle bushes. A few years later, we had to sell the house and we left her there. A few months ago, our 2 beloved Chihuahuas had to be put to sleep. (health and pain issues, poor babies) We had them cremated. But we let the facility dispose of the ashes instead of keeping them. My thinking is once the body is dead, the soul has left us and I prefer to remember them through memories and pictures. (edited to add: we now live in a small apartment and cremation was the better option for us with the dogs)
  • adm603
    adm603 Posts: 48
    Options
    I lost my terrier of 16 years about 2 years ago. I did have her cremated and the vet put her in a flowered tin. It sits behind her picture on the mantel.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    I cremated my dog and he is in a wooden box on a table in my living room, with his collar on top of it. To me it was worth the money.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    When I lost my cat earlier this year I had him cremated and found a small box (I think it was meant for jewelry) that was the color of his eyes and his ashes are there. I'll get a nameplate made for it eventually. I just felt better knowing that if I move, I can take him with me.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer cremation, always. This is because I couldn't bare to leave them behind when I move. With cremation they are always there with me. It's not really any more depressing, I quite like it, feeling like they're still there with us.

My cats both died in 2011. One went missing (assumed dead) and the other was killed in a RTA. We cremated the one we found, and have her ashes/urn on the mantelpiece. I would love to be able to have the other one there too but unfortunately we can't since we never found her :( If she was buried, we'd have to leave them behind with the house when we move.

My boyfriend prefers burial, he says it's more natural and they're returned to the land. I say no way, unless I was 100% we were staying in that house for the rest of our life. It's hard when the cost is high, but you've got to do what's right for you and what makes you happy.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to go with your gut on this one Jac. It all comes down to what will make you feel better.

A potential middle ground would be to bury him in the yard in a biodegradable container and plant a sapling tree over him. His physical components would nourish the tree - new life from death. Then if you were to move home, you could dig up the sapling and take it with you to your new property.

I like this idea :heart: