Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

best breakfast for protein?

13»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    2 full eggs are actually a complete protein on their own... 4 egg whites become a complete protein.

WHAT? How does whatever types or parts of protein are lacking in 2 egg whites suddenly materialize when you add two more?
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    A broccoli omelette.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Lean meat, one way or another - I quite liked heated ham added to stuff I'm already having.

In the UK we get 'bacon medallions' (maybe called Canadian bacon in the US?) which can be very low in fat and not far off pure protein as far as the macros go.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I usually add a half a serving of protein powder to my morning oatmeal and banana. I also found a great suggestion on the recipe forum for a cottage cheese pancake. I also add pumpkin to it for some added Vit-A. Off hand I don't recall the recipe though but I'm sure if you search cottage cheese you will find it.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    I have 2 servings of plain steel cut oats with one serving of Fage either 0 or 2% prefer the 2% but store always seems to be out of it. Mix it together nice breakfeast about 1 hour before my run.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Dairy products are also good. Yogurt, cottage cheese, spreadable cheeses on bread.

Are dairy products still protein? I'm sorry if that sounds dumb, but it would be dumber not to ask when I don't know. Right? :))

It's not dumb- its better to ask. And yes, dairy products can offer a good source of protein. :smile:
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    2 full eggs are actually a complete protein on their own... 4 egg whites become a complete protein.

WHAT? How does whatever types or parts of protein are lacking in 2 egg whites suddenly materialize when you add two more?

I am not sure, but it might boil down to simple math- its not that its completely lacking, only that there isn't enough of a certain protein to be counted as complete. But when you add more, then it has enough to be complete. That would be my guess anyway.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    I just make a shake with chocolate milk, pb, banana and tbsp of either olive oil or coconut oil. then coffee with 1/4 cup coconut milk. Keeps me from being hungry for a minute. And if you have protein powder add that too!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    my favorite is a veggie stuffed omelet with some cheese, a little thin sliced turkey, and of course some salsa!
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Several of these suggestions will maybe net you the same protein as a couple eggs but will triple your calories and take out half or more of your daily sodium. Be wary of advice on forums. Punch a few things in the mfp calculator, see for yourself what different breakfasts contain. Dairy has some protein, but it also high in fat and thus calories. A breakfast burrito? Shouldn't even need to say anything. Try sticking with eggs, add vegetables. The protein shake is good too, though liquid breakfasts never keep le full for long.

Dairy comes in a lot of different fat content. I have skim milk which is high in protein, and has no fat. Greek yogurt is high in protein, and if you read the labels, there are those that are lower in fat. As with all things, they are not created equal. Read the labels, plunk some numbers in MFP to get the breakdowns. Not all fat is bad for you either. Your body requires some to function properly. A breakfast burrito is a good choice, depending what goes in it. The suggestion to make with beans is a good one. Eggs can be high in fat as well. A combo of an egg (with the yolk for the fat) plus some egg whites is a good choice. Combo it up with a carb such as whole wheat toast for a good breakfast. I started just with actually getting a breakfast in. This was a big change in itself, an over time, have cleaned it up and made it more balanced. I like my oatmeal for breakfast, often add protein powder to it, or have the combo of egg/eggwhites. And a glass of skim, no fat milk. Try some things & see what works for you!
  • What are your goals? Are you looking to lose weight, increase muscle, lean?
    Here are my few breakfast foods that are high in protein:
    - Hard boiled eggs
    - 8oz protein shake with unsweetened almond milk
    - 1/2 cup oats (plain or with cinnamon, or a small amount of protein to give it flavor)
    - low fat yogurt (1/2 cup)
    - 1-2 tablespoons of walmnuts and almonds
    - 1-2 tablespoons of Goji Berries (or any berries you prefer)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Greek yogurt! One cup has like 140 cals and 23g of protein. I mix mine with fruit and honey.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    weird
  • thanks for all the suggestions. My goals are to drop the extra 80-odd lbs I'm carrying, lower my body fat and to increase my stamina to be able to run for at least 30mins, and to be lean and bendy enough to try yoga and climbing. :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    SpamCan.jpg
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Don't limit yourself to just "breakfast" food for breakfast.

I have a protein drink or greek yogurt most days. That usually gets me to an early lunch.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140

Unless she's talking about BCAAs, she has no clue what she's talking about. Even then, her post was BS. I've never known a nutritionist to say you can't get protein from peanut butter or beans.
  • 2 full eggs are actually a complete protein on their own... 4 egg whites become a complete protein.

Unless she's talking about BCAAs, she has no clue what she's talking about. Even then, her post was BS. I've never known a nutritionist to say you can't get protein from peanut butter or beans.

I wasn't talking about PARTS of protein, i was talking about PORTIONS of protein. And although peanut butter contains some source of protein, it still remains a fat, beans are also a good protein source however it still remains 1/2 PORTION of protein because they also have a greater source of carbohydrates. I got my information from licensed dietician at a local diet centre that doesn't push supplements or weight loss products, just proper eating. My dietician's information isn't BS, it's quite simple. When it is broken down into portions. PROTEIN, VEGETABLE, FRUITS, CARBOHYDRATES, FATS & DAIRY because having a healthy balanced diet is usually the best way to eat...
    a portion of protein has about 23 grams of protein.
    if milk has 8 grams how does it make it a protein??
    if peanut butter has 3 grams of protein but 8 grams of fat, how is it a protein? last I checked, 3 grams isn't 23.

Oh, and people in the fitness world, training and having eating schedules for other reasons, measure out their proteins the same way I do.