Do you believe?

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Mickey Mouse isn't a real being either, but brings much joy even to adults. Life is about being happy, so if it makes someone happy to believe, then believe.

^This!
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    I was raised to believe in Santa. I mean, why not? Jesus was born in late summer, and Christmas traditions are all based on pagan traditions and even celebrated as a pagan Holiday. Even the idea of celebrating birthdays, ie Jesus' birthday, is a pagan tradition. So, with that being said, since Christmas, and Easter, are both Pagan holidays, why not keep the pagan traditions?
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I grew up believing.

We teach our kids about Jesus first and mainly celebrate him. We haven't really discussed Santa much. They get One gift from him each year. They aren't big into Santa though.

This is what my wife and I do as well, except that my in-laws give a lot of gifts "from Santa."
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I don't remember exactly, but I was about five when I knew the truth.

I don't see a problem with letting kids believe in all that fake stuff like santa, tooth fairy, jesus, easter bunny, god, etc. The idea behind them is a teaching tool for children, and when they start figuring things out on their own, it lends another time to teach them about certain things in life.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I used to. I always thought I was on the naughty list because my mom was pretty poor and I didn't get near as much as my best friend.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    My husband and I weren't comfortable lying to our kids about Santa, so they've always known the truth. Didn't harm the fun and excitement of Christmas at all for them. Their eyes still light up over Santa stories. :happy:
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    I was raised to believe in Santa. I mean, why not? Jesus was born in late summer, and Christmas traditions are all based on pagan traditions and even celebrated as a pagan Holiday. Even the idea of celebrating birthdays, ie Jesus' birthday, is a pagan tradition. So, with that being said, since Christmas, and Easter, are both Pagan holidays, why not keep the pagan traditions?
    100% agree!!!!!!!
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Was taught that santa is real lol. I eventually figured it out or my older brother told me. It wasn't too bad of a let down. I'm gonna tell my kids about Santa. If anything it might persuade them to behave if they think he's watching lol.

Ha, having them think Santa is watching could be beneficial. Just make allowances for when they're naked. When I was a little kid, someone got it in my head that God was always watching me. I was so afraid to take a bath because it creeped me out that God would be watching me. :laugh:
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i believed!!! i think its more about imagination and and its just more festive!
    Christmas without santa? i dont think it would be the same all those good christmas films, cards decorations with him just wouldnt be right! i leave milk and cookies out for him and tell my kids about him aswell although my 9 yr old knows he's not real but my 6 yr old still believes :)
    Its just fun and its only once a year! :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think I will tell my kids the story of St. Nicholas (research it, it's actually pretty neat), so they at least have a clue what the heck the other kids are talking about, but I will make it clear that there is no jolly fat man that brings gifts down the chimney. I want them to understand what Christmas is really about, celebrating the birth of the Savior. I have no problem celebrating with awesome food and giving gifts, but it's important to me that they know WHY we celebrate.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I believe that Christmas is really a celebration of the winter solstice and was used (quite effectively, I might add) by the church to convert people to Christianity. Or early Christians adopted traditional regional celebrations (not necessarily pagan in origin) to align with important events in their religion.

Santa is just the middle man.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes I believed and so do my children. They seem to one by one figure out the truth at about 11. So far none of their older siblings have ruined it for them, they too want them to enjoy the magic of childhood before they have to learn the cold hard truth of the real world. I dont like lying to my children but its so exciting to watch their eyes light up and their excitement grow.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    There's something special about passing down Christmas stories and traditions. I love how my kids get excited when they see deer and start asking if that's one of Santa's reindeer. I love how my kids get excited for the displays, the lights, the decorations and the food. I've saved every single written letter to Santa and even penned a few Santa response letters back.

It might be a lie, but all that is priceless.

My daughter almost figured out the truth when she was five. When she woke up on Christmas morning and saw her present from Santa, she said "Look, daddy! Santa has the same wrapping paper as us!" (details, damnit. DETAILS!)

That's why we have special Santa paper.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I know better, but I still wake up Christmas morning hoping to see something under my tree that I didn't put there. :blushing:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I believed in Santa while my wife was raised in a religious household without Santa. We are kind of at odds with this as my 4.5 year old grows. My wife compromised by allowing Santa to be real but Santa doesn't do very much. Then, she slipped up and told her that all the gifts under the tree are from us and not from Santa. I came up with the quick answer that that is technically true because Santa sends us a bill lol. Its an ongoing battle lol.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in an imaginary, bearded man who rewards the good and punishes the bad. I don't believe in Santa, either.

--P
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    In my house, we celebrate Festivus anyway, so non-issue.

Festivus for the rest of us.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I felt betrayed and like I was the butt of a joke when I figured out Santa wasn't real and my parents were laughing. To prevent this in my own kids, I've told them that it's not real. That said, we appreciate the mythologies anyway and admire the beautiful costumes and decorations in the different traditions. This year we are reading about "Santas" from around the world, right now we're on the Russian Ded Moroz.
  • srobinson84
    srobinson84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We don't do Santa or any of the other imaginary being that are associated with holidays.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in an imaginary, bearded man who rewards the good and punishes the bad. I don't believe in Santa, either.

--P

:drinker: