Are you cooking Christmas dinner??

Options
grover0ca
grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
What is on your menu?

Are you using any lower cal or "skinny" recipes?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    nahh its christmas its just one day so were not counting!
    ham cheesy hashbrowns 7 layer salad and so many cookies!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm not counting Christmas, I don't usually give myself days where I eat what I want, but I will this time. :D
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm hoping to be in the hospital, holding my newborn on Christmas Day. My mom keeps saying she will be born on Christmas Eve, so that's what we're looking at. But if I were cooking, there wouldn't be much low cal. I am looking at making a lower calories cheesecake soon. With strawberries on top.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking....What, I'm not sure yet. Whatever the husband and kids want, they just have to decide already! Traditional ham or maybe a theme? One year I did a full Italian spread and I'm not not even Italian! Sometimes I do Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy, buns, lefse, and a vegetable. So many choices. I like to cook.
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We have an odd tradition in our family. We always seemed to travel on Christmas day going to this person's house and that persons house when I was younger and by the time we were heading back home it was usually around 4 or 5 in the afternoon and we were all hungry with nothing waiting for us at home. Only place open on Christmas day was the Chinese restaurant so that's where we would go.

As we got older and we had no grandparents left to travel to we still found we wanted Chinese food on Christmas day so that became our tradition. Even now when family decides to come to our house for Christmas they don't want me to cook so we end up doing the Chinese take out thing.

This year it will be a thing of necessity again anyway because we will be going to visit my dad who is currently in a rehab center an hour and a half away from home. So we will be heading up there after we do Christmas morning with my son and then heading back home probably around 3 in the afternoon so Chinese restaurant here we come!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Cooking, we are having Smoked brisket, Baked Potato cassarole, cole slaw, deviled eggs and baked beans. Chocolate banana trifle. I trim all the calories I can.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    strawberry salad
    twice baked potatoes
    carmalized carrots
    yorkshire pudding
    prime rib roast
    another veggie

havent figured out dessert...

and loads of appetizers...so far
    Louisiana crab dip
    buffalo chicken wraps
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving was just one day, xmas cant be one day! Now its 2 days! Ahh wtf!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My husband is doing his renowned shrimp scampi for me. While shrimp itself is not terribly caloric, we're doing them with caramelized onions in butter and white wine, so it won't be real healthy when he's done with them! :laugh: And I also HAVE to have Spinach dip, with added mozzarella in it, on Wheat Thins. I only get it once a year on Christmas, so I'm livin' up!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I got tired of juggling my parents, my MIL, and my FIL's all seperate dinners and decided to do it at my house and invite them all. I don't cook though, so I guess I'm going to try cooking some sort of large meat peice or a lasagna/casserol that is low in calories and then ask everyone coming to bring a side dish, then at least I can eat the main course without guilt :)
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My son requested meatloaf, so that's what I'm making. Not worrying about low cal stuff. There will be potatoes and biscuits for sure, along with veggies.
  • weightnomore33
    weightnomore33 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I get to cook all the holidays. Might only have to do Christmas Eve and not Day. Baked Ham, Yams, salad, veggies. Appetizer? Hmmm.... Anyone have any good ideas?
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Nope I have to work but my Boyfriends Mom is making Turkey...yumm
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Turkey
    Ham
    Gravey
    roasted potatoes and vegetables
    pickles, olives, pickled onions tray
    cheese, crackers, sausage tray
    fresh veggies/dip
    mashed turnip
    asian crispy salad (maybe)
    water chestnuts wrapped in bacon
    oysters/crackers
    deviled eggs
    dinner buns
    assorted nuts
    chips
    chocolate
    sweet and sour cocktail weiners
    shrimp with rene's honey dijon dressing
    spinach dip/sour dough
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking Christmas dinner this year. It's not really entirely that unhealthy. I will steer clear of the cookies, fudges, etc...but I don't really care for that stuff anyway (thankfully). I've already pre-logged mine and I'm definitely over my calorie goal, but I'm not going to worry about it. Actually, I'm just a smidge above maintenance right now Christmas day (if I stick to portion sizes..but a few more ounces of lamb)...but I have a scheduled run day as well, so that'll likely knock off 250 calories right there. All and all, I'm not worried about one day out of 365, I'm a big picture guy. My menu that I emailed to all of my family:

Cocktails/Beverages:
    •Pomegranate Gin or Vodka Slings - A classic gin or vodka sling dressed for the holidays with pomegranate juice and decorated with crimson pomegranate fruit. Will use Agave syrup for preparation for low glycemic alternative to simple syrup.
    •Beer and Wine

Appetizers:
    •Pita Chips and garlic-chive humus – I think this speaks for itself
    •Chicken Pate with Balsamic Onions – Freshly prepared in house chicken liver pate over crusty French baguette and topped with balsamic caramelized onion.
    •Cold smoke Salmon mini “pizzas” – Rice crackers or baked wonton wrappers topped with a Neufchatel cheese blended with red onion, capers, fresh drill, and lemon rind then topped with cold smoked salmon and dressed with chive

Salad Course:
    •Orange Salad with Arugula and Oil-Cured Olives – A minty and refreshing starter salad

Main Course:
    •Herb and Citrus Roast Leg of Lamb – The orange and lemon in the marinade make for a bright counterpoint to the earthy cumin in this herb and citrus marinated leg of lamb. Cooked medium-rare to medium.
    •Smashed Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Chives – Due to dairy allergies, no milk or egg will be used in preparation.
    •Brussels Sprouts with Honey-Glazed Pearl Onions and Capocollo –

Desert:
    •Plum pudding with brandy butter (prepared by my Scottish mother-in-law)
  • weightnomore33
    weightnomore33 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    deviled eggs? Hmmm. I can make those. Thanks for the idea
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I actually am off the hook this year.

It's just going to be my husband and I and our two little kiddos at home so I'm picking up a spread of deli meat/cheese/olives/etc and fancy pants rolls and we're just going to eat on that all day. I'm pretty excited.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    We are having dinner with my parents, and my mom will do most of the cooking for that. But then on Christmas day, it will be just my husband and me, so we'll probably have dinner somewhere and go to a movie.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Turkey
    Gravy
    Mashed potatoes
    fruit salad
    Pickle wrap-ups (although I will be having roast beef wrap-up with onions not pickles)
    Cheesecake
    Chocolate pudding
    sugar cookies
    corn
    green beans
    I will also be having raw veggies like Broccoli/cauliflower/carrots with ranch dip (although my parents won't eat them either will my hubby)

My goal is to eat what I want, but portion it appropriately. My parent's are coming.