Quinoa

Options
You may ask ............ What is Quinoa????

Though not technically a grain, quinoa can substitute for nearly any grain in cooking. Actually the seed of a leafy plant, quinoa’s relatives include spinach, beets and Swiss chard. Due to its delicate taste and rich amounts of protein, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals, it is quite popular. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and is easily digested.

Quinoa is an ancient crop that grows in poor soil, dry climates and even mountain altitudes. It is native to the Andes, but is also grown in South America and the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Although it can grow in arid conditions, it thrives best in well-drained soil. You should be able to find quinoa in health food stores and larger supermarkets.

A quinoa grain is flat and has a pointed oval shape. The grains exist is several colorations, including yellow, red, brown and black. When cooked, quinoa expands to about three or four times its size. It also has a unique texture; the grain itself is smooth and creamy, but the tail of the grain has a crunchy texture.

When preparing quinoa, you should rinse it first to remove any powdery residue. The simplest way to do this is to place the grains in a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. For a roasted flavor, toast the quinoa in a dry skillet for about five minutes.

To cook, bring one part quinoa and two parts liquid to a boil; cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the grains are translucent. You can also use a rice cooker to prepare quinoa. Some people cook and eat quinoa as they would oatmeal. As a breakfast food, combine the quinoa with honey, nuts or berries.

Other recipes include quinoa as an ingredient in soups, stews, and pilafs. With its slightly nutty taste, quinoa is sometimes used in bread, muffins, bagels, cookies, and pancakes. Store quinoa tightly sealed in a cool dry location or in the refrigerator or freezer for longer periods. The leaves of the quinoa plant are also edible, similar to spinach leaves.

Creamy Quinoa Primavera

Prep Time:10 min
Start to Finish:30 min
makes:6 servings

1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
3 cups Progresso reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
2 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
2 teaspoons butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 cups thinly sliced or bite-size pieces assorted vegetables, such as asparagus, broccoli, carrot or zucchini
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese

1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly; drain. In 2-quart saucepan, heat quinoa and broth to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until all broth is absorbed. Stir in cream cheese and basil; cover and remove from heat.
2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in butter about 30 seconds, stirring frequently, until golden. Stir in vegetables. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3. Toss vegetables and quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with Romano cheese.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 390mg; Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g); Protein 11g

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...bumping for later
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for quinoa pasta with mushrooms using frozen quinoa (the photo looked like a shell type pasta) I was never able to find it in the frozen section of wal mart or dillion's (a Kroger store) Any suggestions on where to find this?? Thanks so much!
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    Thank you for posting this Jeremy. I've always wanted to try it, but never knew what to do with it!
  • ChefJeremyC
    ChefJeremyC Posts: 332
    Options
    I have a recipe for quinoa pasta with mushrooms using frozen quinoa (the photo looked like a shell type pasta) I was never able to find it in the frozen section of wal mart or dillion's (a Kroger store) Any suggestions on where to find this?? Thanks so much!

Ok I too have had troble finding it in my local stores but you can order Quinoa through amazon.com. I have gotten it there b4 and had no problems.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

It'll actually be in the pasta isle or organic/natural section. Ancient Harvest has several types of quinoa pasta-all of them are dry like most boxed pastas.
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    bump for later, thanks
  • chaamigo
    chaamigo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I LOVE QUINOA i use it as a side dish or replacement for meat in tacos and such
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    But is it...yummy?
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Quinoa can also be very easily cooked in a rice cooker. I use the "quick cook" setting and it comes out perfectly. I love it with something creamy mixed in - a little goat cheese or some cubes of avocado.

I love it. I will say I was a little dubious the first couple of times I ate it and then I really started to like it. I'm not much of a breakfast food eater so I make quinoa in advance and then heat it in the microwave for a quick and easy breakfast component.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Also, in addition to what JeremyC said...
    Quinoa is not only a good source of protein, it is a complete protein which means that it's an excellent source of protein for vegetarians and vegans (and it's the only grain that is like this).
    If you like quinoa, you should try amaranth, millet, teff, and spelt.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am sort of new to the message boards and I keep seeing people say they are 'bumping' for later. What does this mean? Saving for later???

And yes, quinoa is awesome! I can get it at my local Smith's grocery store in the bulk bins.
  • DogsRule666
    Options
    Yummy looking recipe. Will have to try it.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos

Cook 3/4 cup quinoa according to directions. I cook in chicken broth for flavor. Take an onion, dice it up, some minced garlic (about 3 cloves), saute in a pan until lightly browned. Add about 1 cup corn, 2 cans of black beans (rinsed/drained), cumin and cayenne to taste. (Leave the cayenne out if you don't do spicy.) A little bit of cilantro is also yummy to add. When heated through, mix with quinoa. Serve on a tortilla w/ salsa and sour cream (or yogurt).

This recipe is from thescramble.com. Makes 8 servings. 430 cal, 8g fat, 2g saturated fat, 74g carb, 11g fiber, 7g sugar, 15g protein
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I just bought a lot of quinoa at Whole Foods and was looking for recipes with it. Thanks for posting!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    SOUNDS GOOD. I FIXED SOME OVER THE WEEKEND FOR THE FIRST TIME AND IT WAS WONDERFUL. I LOVED IT
  • DamienRiceFan
    Options
    It can also be ordered through bobsredmill.com along with lots of other yummy things.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    But is it...yummy?

Yes it is!! I even like it for breakfast - though my partner said that it tasted like dirt from the sea when we had it for breakfast! (I find that if you soak it overnight it helps with this)

One of our favorite "company is coming" dinners is Warm Quinoa and Spinach Salad http://www.thatsfit.ca/2008/09/25/holistic-recipe-of-the-week-warm-spinach-and-quinoa-salad YUMMY
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I made some last night with a recipe I found googling quinoa:

1/2 onion, diced
    1 green chili, diced (I used pasilla bc I don't like spicy stuff)
    I added 1 small sweet potato, diced...it wasn't in the orig recipe though
    1 tsp grated ginger
    1 cup quinoa
    1 tsp (or to taste) turmeric
    1 tsp (or tot aste) coriander
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 3/4 cups water (I should have used stock)
    1/2 cup frozen peas

saute the onion (and sweet potato if you're me) until translucent
    Add the pepper, ginger and quinoa, stir for 1 min
    Add the spices, stir for 1 min
    Add the water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 15 min
    Add the peas, stir, simmer for 5 more min (if you need to, if the water is all absorbed just stir til the peas warm up)

Tasty!
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    bump