Strength train first or last?

Options
I'm looking to incorporate strength training but does it matter if I do it before cardio or after cardio?

Replies

• jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    10 minute cardio warm up, strength, additional cardio if desired.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you are doing your strength training and cardio in the same workout you should always do your strength training first. You want to be fresh when you start lifting weights, this helps you lift to your full potential and decreases the risk of injury. Weight lifting also releases free fatty acids into your blood stream and then cardio helps to burn that off.
  • raquel_soto
    raquel_soto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    strength training should be done on a seperate day than your cardio, unless you are incorporating it in something like martial arts/kick boxing. from what i read, those 2 things should be seperate.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Strength training first.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Whatever your focus is should be done first since you will have more energy early on. For me, I strength train then do cardio. Some propose strength train only and cardio on non-workout days. Personally I like to do both but with emphasis on the strength end.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am no fitness expert but twice a week we do a 1/2 hr of Zumba and a 1/2 hr of body sculpting (strength training) we always lift first-the instructor says because if we zumba first our muscles will be too fatigued to lift.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do it in the middle...15 minutes cardio 25 minutes lifting 15-20 minutes cardio
  • TheGoalDigger
    TheGoalDigger Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, my conclusion from all of your advice is to strength train first. It makes sense since I'd be a bit winded if I get into cardio before strength training.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do a circuit. Strength training alternating with cardio to keep my heart rate up and burn fat.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    10 minute cardio warm up, strength, additional cardio if desired.
    THIS!!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do a circuit. Strength training alternating with cardio to keep my heart rate up and burn fat.
    so you're doing cardio with cardio inbetween cardio....

circuits are basically cardio fyi. strength training is when you're hitting muscle failure in under 30 seconds at maximal load intensities. Or under 6 reps.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you must do them on the same day, always do them after or you won't have all the juice you need to lift properly. Small cardio warmup before at the most (5-10 min).
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I used to always strength train first (after a warm up of course) that way I'd get the best concentration, form and weight. The cardio was extra.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well for me I do Cardio then ST because the cardio is most important for me and I want to be as energized as possible. ST always wears me out so by the time it's cardio time I can't finish my usual work out.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *bump* for future reference
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to incorporate strength training but does it matter if I do it before cardio or after cardio?

I do my cardio after my strength training class. Oddly enough, it helps to loosen my muscles after an hour of Body Pump. I get on the treadmill for about 30 minutes and then hang out in the sauna afterwards.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    strength training should be done on a seperate day than your cardio, unless you are incorporating it in something like martial arts/kick boxing. from what i read, those 2 things should be seperate.

^ THIS
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump