Healthy on a Budget?

Options
My boyfriend and I have a very tight grocery budget of about $200 a month. Which I know is doable, because we've been doing it for a couple of months now. The problem is that we've been eating junk most of the time. I know that healthy meals can be as inexpensive as processed crap foods are, but I also work until 11PM or so several nights a week and don't want to try to cook full meals at that time of night. I have crock pot, and would love recipes that let me use that more often.
Any suggestions (or recipes!) that I should try? What produce and such should I buy on that budget?

I know I'm not the only one who's got a tight budget, I just don't quite know how to make it work.

Replies

• BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are about all I buy because they are super cheap and they last longer. A huge bag of frozen brocolli and frozen asparagus is about $2.50 here which will last me atleast 1 week eating 2 cups of steamed veggies a day. I also get frozen chicken breasts and fish filets. They aren't the cheapest thing but they last and are really convenient for quick low cal meals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are about all I buy because they are super cheap and they last longer. A huge bag of frozen brocolli and frozen asparagus is about $2.50 here which will last me atleast 1 week eating 2 cups of steamed veggies a day. I also get frozen chicken breasts and fish filets. They aren't the cheapest thing but they last and are really convenient for quick low cal meals.

Good advice here ^^ Buy fresh when it's affordable and use frozen for the rest. Dried beans are probably the best bargain in the store and just happen to be very healthy and crock pot friendly.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    lots of slow cooker receipes here!!!

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/p/new-recipe-index_22.html
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eat less meat! A block of tofu is <$2 and provides 4 servings with a high protein content.

I spend very little on groceries by omitting a lot of meat, and then I have lots of leftover cash for splurges like greek yogurt (also packed with protein) and real orange juice (limit myself to 1 c per day though).

Good luck!
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try using coupons....There are some out there for fresh, canned, frozen veggies. Also Golden Plump chicken is a good one if your local store sales this brand?
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a huge bargain most of the time. I buy them a LOT and it's around $2.00/lb, whihc is 4 servings at only 50 cents per. Brown rice is super inexpensive. Frozen veg like oither folks mentioned. I buy great value plain fat free yogurt and pour it into a coffee filter tucked into a strainer over a bowl. The result is thick and creamy like greek yogurt and a lot less expensive. I use it in place of sour cream. So-you can put some chicken in the crock pot. Use a rice cooker to make a batch of plain brown rice, which you can then keep in the fridge a portion out the right amount for a meal. If you do a lot of both things on Sunday, you can switch up the flavors by adding different seasonings and veg during the weeknights. Add a pkg of tortillas or tostada shells, plus a can of refried beans, some shredded lettuce, some of that chicken you cooked in the crock and a side of frozen veg you pop in the microwave and add salsa. Or add a partial pkg of taco seasoning and/or taco seasoning to the pre-cooked rice and leave the frozen veg plain. Buy or make some bbq sauce and add a little bit to some of the chicken from the crock. You can have 'pulled chicken" sandwiches with inexpensive buns. Add the last of the chicken back into a crock pot with some frozen veg and a cut up potato or some rice or noodles and you can make chicken soup.

Generally, you'll save the most money by buying stuff that you have to cook from scratch, but it's not too tough to plan to cook just one day a week and then heat up what you need during the week.

Check out bountiful baskets (dot) org. It's a produce co-op that allows me and the hubs to eat fresh fruit and veg that we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. They are in quite a few places and if yours is one of them, it'll help you a lot.

With the price of food skyrocketing the last couple of years, it's harder and harder to eat healthy on a budget, but by managing your shopping and cooking it can still be done.

Barb
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For just the two of us we live off $240 NZ per month
    Breaky- Weetbix and a banana
    Lunch& Snacks- Salad, 1 pc fruit, mixed nuts w/dark choc and apricots (bulk buy and put in little zip lock bags). And just to apease the bf he gets a little extra of Canned tuna and crackers
    Dinner- Casserol (crock pot), frozen veg and steak, Goulash (crock pot), Pork and cabbage.

We have the same thing daily for breakfast, luch and snacks but dinner changes these were just a few staples :happy:

Tonight we are having fish that the bf caught the other day :sad: I HATE fish but hey it is free.

P.s If you did the math you would see that it only adds up to about 900 cals perday for me but of course we have other things this is just the ... "template"... in want of a better word
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - eggs and produce are cheaper at the farmer's markets. i can get 2 dozen eggs for the same price i'd pay for 1 dozen at the grocery store. i also live near a chinatown so i can get fresh produce for ridiculously cheap. i just bought a 2 pounds of red potatoes for $1!
    - i buy chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. they are cheaper and have more flavor than breasts
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    We are a family of 4 on a very tight grocery budget as well and are always pressed for time. Here is what has helped us:

Buy fruits and veggies in season as they tend to be cheaper that way; in fact, we have a farmers market type of grocery store that sells buckets of overripe, but still useable produce for $1 a bucket. We often plan our meals around what we can get there.

Buy in bulk and on sale things like dried beans, brown rice, whole what pasta, quinoa, oats, etc.

Buy meat on sale and freeze what you don't use. Buy whole chickens instead of pieces.

On Sundays I prepare all of our meals for the week. I usually prepare 4 full meals figuring we'll eat leftovers on the 5th day. We usually do at least 1 crockpot meal per week. Other things that are easy to prepare in advance are casseroles, stir frys, curries, pretty much anything really. This has saved us a lot of time and money. I get a lot of recipes online and love skinnytaste and skinnyms

It's a lot of work on Sunday, but I love being able to come home after work and working out and/or running the kids all over town to their various after school activities and know there is a delicious meal waiting that just needs to be warmed up.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    What EVERYONE said thus far plus plenty of fresh produce. Simple fruit or veggie salads are quick to make especially a day ahead so you don't have to fix when you're actually hungry.
    As for processed foods, do apples-to-apples (pun intended) cost comparison to fresh produce and unprocessed meats. 6 cents per oz is about $1 per pound. You may find that that bag of chips is a LOT more expensive than than the healthier options of unprocessed fruits/vegs/meats AND the latter is WAY more filling! (e.g. 2 apples vs. 1 oz of chips for roughly same cals)

*Edit to correct last sentence
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Buy a cheap crock pot/ slow cooker and a cheap stick blender - you can then make bulk soups, curries, stews/ casseroles, Bolognese, chilli con carne, smoothies and so on. It takes me five minutes to chop and throw everything in the pot and you don't have to watch as it cooks you can even go to work.

Not sure it's exactly the same in the US as the UK but here the cheapest per 100g are frozen veggies, many root and longlife fresh vegetables (cabbage/ carrot/ onion/ celery/ parsnip/ sweet potato), fresh pineapple, canned beans and tomatoes, dried fruits/ split peas/ lentils. Produce that is juicy or spoils quickly tends to be more expensive to grow (insects and mould like it) and there is a lot of waste for the store so is more expensive. For protein canned oily fish, frozen plain chicken leg portions, frozen minced (ground) beef, fresh minced (ground) turkey are reasonably priced. Pad out any expensive meat by adding loads of cheap vegetables and pulses, that is easier if you use a slow cooker/ crock pot.