You'd weigh XXX.X in 5 weeks*

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For the people who have been on here for a while..
    Is the estimated weight in 5 weeks kinda accurate or is it not? Has it ever been accurate
    for any of you? :)

No, MFP underestimates it every time.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It's pretty spot on for me - I make a note of it 5 weeks forward every now and again and check back in at that date - I always hit it or go under. 5 weeks is long enough to account for natural fluctuations I think.

I'm pretty bang on my numbers though, more often under than over which balances the occasional splurge. I never splurge enough to put me out of my 1000 kcal deficit. I also adjust my intake every 5 kg as prompted by MFP.

If you take note of your numbers on an abnormal day (eg. burnt 1500 kcal on a long hike and didn't eat it back) then obviously the prediction is unlikely to come true.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Once in a while I'll write the weight it says I'll be in my calendar. It's been pretty accurate so far.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Never for me. I'm very accurate with my logging, yet my weight loss goes way slower than MFP says it does.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I do look at that number and think oh ok but never assume if I'm doing it right it will be the number on the scale after 5 weeks scale fluctuates and sometimes I'm over on sodium or haven't been able to drink as much water but its ok to give you an idea x
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    weightloss is never linear

THIS^^
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Load of crap! I would have been passed my goal by now if that were the case.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Nope....not even close.

Maybe it was more accurate back when I was losing, but now that I'm maintaining more (only 4lbs to go)..... I should've been at my goal weight weeks - months ago.

A good estimate though and a good motivator to help keep you on track.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever. I'd probably be at my goal by now if it was true. It just makes me frustrated and sad.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I actually record this number 5 weeks out every so often, I have been close a few times, within .2-.4 pounds. For me my cals can vary day to day, not huge but 10-15-100-200, etc., if you close it your diary and then add more food and close it out it will change that number, interesting to see how that last snack could change the outcome.

It would seem unlikely most people eat the exact same amount of calories every single day, which is why that number is more a suggestion then an absolute. I did discover, though I cannot recall if online or the app you can go back 5 weeks and close that day out again and see what it said at that time, I do this occasionally to, you know for fun.

Eta. I have my profile set to lose 1.5 pounds a week which given how much more I need/want to lose is very obtainable still while sticking to my cal goals, most days I am within 100 of that goal (up or down).
  • portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not at all. It appears to fluctuate based on the caloric intact for that day. I ignore the little message.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have not hit the complete diary button for a while now because I don't want to see the number they give. I found I was getting too invested in that number and if I didn't seem to be losing at that rate it was discouraging to me. Now I just concentrate on eating at a healthy deficit, mostly healthy food and working out. If I did well that day I feel good about that. This is also about me trying to change my thinking from wanting to be thin (a particular weight) to wanting to be fit and healthy. I am losing slowly but surely and can do things physically that 9 months ago may just have killed me, lol. That is the best feeling.
  • BuddhaBabeee
    Options
    It actually is true to what it says. I love it.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Never. It makes me want to punch MFP in the face. :laugh:
  • simplyxaddicted
    simplyxaddicted Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always work that way unfortunately
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Nope, and I burn less than what it says for exercises too. My BMR is also lower. Maybe for someone with normal metabolism it might work but when you've got crazy hormonal issues and thyroid issues, count on progress to be much MUCH slower. Meh, whatever, I actually see it as comforting.. it shows me how it would be if I was "normal" and that just gives me a push and shows me how much harder I have to work than a "normal" person in order to reach my goal!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    not accurate for me... but then again I don't eat the same calories and exercise the same amount each and every day... so how could i expect it to be. LOL

But, it is sure fun to look at, and it is usually motivating!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay CONSISTENT, it should be, since it's all math. Some say it's not realistic, but they probably aren't being consistent.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ya I mean it says "if every day were like today"...So, just make sure your net cals are always the same.
  • jjolynmill
    jjolynmill Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My first few days of seeing that I thought it was saying 200's, I realized a couple days ago it was actually giving me numbers in the 190's. That realization lead me to think that I had never even considered that I could actually get to that weight. Even though I am trying I never even considered it possible and here it is within my grasp. Awesome. Seeing those numbers does motivate me and keeps me moving forward. I don't expect it to be spot on but atleast I am thinking more long term.