Tough Mudder!

Options
I have signed up to compete in my first tough mudder at the Buffalo, NY location for this upcoming June! I was hoping to get responses about other people's experiences! If you have competed before, how was your experience? So far I have heard great reviews and I am really excited. Also, what have you done or what are you doing to to train? What are your best recommendations to get ready for an event like this? Hopefully this will spark some conversation about tough mudder! Feel free to add me also! All the additional experienced or inexperienced friends I can get will be sure to help me with my preparation for the event!!

Replies

• tower913
    tower913 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wrong date! I meant this upcoming July in Buffalo.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well, first, I am jealous of your July date. We did it in Nov 2011 in New Jersey. If I know the Tough Mudder people though, they will still find a way to make some obstacles almost unbearable, even with the warmer weather in NY in July.

For training, it really depends on what your strengths/weaknesses are at this point since you only have aout 7 months to train. Personally, I did training for a half marathon distance (although most will tell you that it's not necessary train in running because a combination of stops/obstacles make it so you don't run that far all at once.) However, I was quite happy with my running training when they took us running in circles in the woods just to make the course longer. The event requires A LOT of upperbody strength. I'm not saying to neglect your lower body with lifting/training, but make sure you go all in with upperbody. This really is an event that you need all over fitness. The beer at the end is the best tasting beer you will ever have, but most couldn't stop shaking long enough to drink it all!

That being said, it was a fantastic event. It was just super crazy. You find yourself doing things that you never thought you would do and a year later you are still thinking "I can't believe I did that." It was a lot of fun. Be open to meeting new people on your route. The only other suggestion I would make is try to go with a team at the same level as you. The majority of my team were faster than me and I spent a lot of the time trying to not hold them back... although I did rock the water obstacles and finally got a change to catch my breath waiting for them.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a similar topic, but decided to search for one first. I'm doing the Virginia Beach Tough Mudder in June and am looking to make some MFP friends who've either already done it or who are also training. Add me!
  • tower913
    Options
    @PennStateChic
    Thank you for all of your advice! I agree, I am extremely happy with the time of year especially when I look through all the pictures on the tough mudder site of all the frigid obstacles!

I live in the country so I have been trying to run a lot of trails and routes around here to slowly increase my distance. I am not even close to distance running ability I would like so there is defiantly room for improvement in this category. Also, I am not weight training right now but I am starting a routine in January!

I could not be more excited to participate in this! We have a huge group of people so I believe it may be tough to all stick together.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have my first one this April! Looking forward to it
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have not yet done a Tough Mudder but I did a Spartan Race this past summer. This was loads of fun! And, it motivated me to keep up my running!

There is a tentative Tough Mudder scheduled for my area next summer (Montreal, Quebec). I have pre-registerd. And I have again signed up for the local Spartan Race.

Have fun!
  • vegas1776
    vegas1776 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just completed the Tri State in NJ this October. PennStateChic is right, run run run....and when your done with that run more! Strength is very important but this race is all about stamina! Best bet is running off road, and lots of hills to build your leg strength, balance and agility. We trained in Valley Forge National Park on the Mt Misery trail which was a big help getting ready for the Mudder since there are very few flat smooth surfaces to run on. Oh, and run completely wet at least once a month to get used to it. We trained doing 4 to 6 mile runs and I think more would have been better.

Good luck! It's a grat time and worth the training!
  • tower913
    Options
    I love all the support and following tough mudder has! I feel like I am becoming part of a huge tough mudder community and it is so exciting.

What is the Tri State? Is that a tough mudder race with an increased level of difficulty?

I go to college pretty close to the tough mudder location I signed up for and it is in the middle of no where. So finding trails and hills to run on shouldn't be a problem at all thankfully. Although, they will like be covered in snow next semester but that should only make me tougher! Great tip about running completely wet! I didn't even think about doing that. It will definitely be something I incorporate into my training.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's fun. It's not very though, or I should say, it's only as tough as you make it. My boyfriend and I signed up for one at the last minute last Summer, and we just showed up without doing any special training. As long as you can run 3-4 miles at a time, do pushups and pullups, and crawl / climb over things, you're pretty straight. It was a great time. There were people of all ability levels, and almost everyone was walking some of the course after the first 4 miles. It was at a ski resort, so the hills were a bit much-- and I am a hill / trail runner.

The obstacles were sooooo fun! The freezing water is way worse than it looks, but everything else is pretty benign. I didn't get the shocks too bad, but my boyfriend got a big one that threw him to the ground. Lol. The whole atmosphere it a blast. We're doing one in February, and I'm thinking it's going to be a little colder this time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    so many races that day... I didnt realize there was a TM in NY that day too :-/
  • brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i'm so excited I am doing the race in April any words of advise for getting through the course?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    On the monkey bars, the highest monkey bar is like a few inches further away than the others.
    Everest is harder than it looks...
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    I'm doing the Mt Snow, Vt in August. My first one! Have downloaded the bootcamp training info on the website but also have started doing pull ups and more strength training and trying to run for longer, incorporating hills.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I did one in Vermont in 2011. It was at Mount Snow, so the course was completely up and down the ski hills. When we got to a flattish surface, we could run, other than that it was walking briskly uphill, which is what 95% of the participants did. It was also in early May, so there was still snow in some places, which they made into a great climbing obstacle. The water was freezing. That was the hardest part for me. Jumping off a 20 foot platform into 37 degree water. I had to ask my friends if my shorts had come off since I couldn't feel my legs for a few minutes afterward. Overall, there was a great sense of camaraderie. Our team had about 8 people on it, but at some point through the race, you sort of make friends with all the other people going at the same pace as you.

Since the course was so hilly, it took us way longer than the average 2.5 hour time that a lot of their events are. It took us about 4 hours, which was average for that day. We didn't have enough food, and there were very few water stations. Bring a zip lock bag or waterproof bag that you can keep on yourself with some snacks. You'll be in and out of water, sometimes crossing from one end to another, so you can't just bring a normal backpack. It was a lot of fun. I was totally sore the next day. I had trained mostly by doing Insanity and running, but my legs weren't prepared for the hills.
  • OwenEvan
    OwenEvan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just did one a few weeks ago here in FL and it was awesome. I would say focus on the running and pull ups as that makes up the majority of the day. I wore a running arm pouch to carry some gels and it worked out great. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a message.
  • brassballa
    Options
    I figured my upper body was going to need an over Hal but running is no problem ...specific question? When I was in the military the incline monkey bars rotated ....do these move while you are trying to go across?
  • RobynLB
    Options
    A few of them rotate. If you take is slow and just use momentum from swinging rather than trying to muscle your was across, they are not difficult.
  • brassballa
    Options
    Sweet!!
  • RobynLB
    Options
    Sweet!!

Of course, my last time was in the summer, this next time is in February, I am thinking frozen hands might make the difference between easy and impossible on monkey bars. Lol. Into the water I go.