Binge eating

Options
How do I stop it for good?
Only serious answers please.

Replies

• imoquenn
    imoquenn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge binger, but I have struggled with binging and a touch of bulimia, so yeah.

I don't know about stopping it for good, but one thing that's really, really helped me is making a rule that I can't do anything while I'm eating. No watching tv, no reading, no texting - if I am eating, I have to be present in the moment. I also have to chew my food properly. When my attention is fully on my food, I find I get bored with it more quickly and don't really want to eat as much.

Another thing that helps sometimes: if I want to binge, I think... okay, what will I do after I binge? Binging only lasts so long before I stop (feeling stuffed and guilty) and move on to something else. I figure out what that "something else" would be - going on the internet, playing a game, taking a shower, whatever - and I do that instead.
  • ChaoticMoon
    Options
    I've never been a huge binger, but I have struggled with binging and a touch of bulimia, so yeah.

I don't know about stopping it for good, but one thing that's really, really helped me is making a rule that I can't do anything while I'm eating. No watching tv, no reading, no texting - if I am eating, I have to be present in the moment. I also have to chew my food properly. When my attention is fully on my food, I find I get bored with it more quickly and don't really want to eat as much.

Another thing that helps sometimes: if I want to binge, I think... okay, what will I do after I binge? Binging only lasts so long before I stop (feeling stuffed and guilty) and move on to something else. I figure out what that "something else" would be - going on the internet, playing a game, taking a shower, whatever - and I do that instead.
  • ChaoticMoon
    Options
    Thanks!
    I will definitely try this.especially the focussing on just food bit.
  • 47feeling60
    47feeling60 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why do you binge?

Take an inventory of how you feel just before you binge. Do you feel a high coming on, a compulsiveness that draws you to eat?
    Are you truly hungry? Are you lacking some nutrient? Are you eating enough food throughout the day to stave off hunger? Are you an emotional eater? Eat for comfort? or lonely?

We cant stop doing something until we figure out what's causing us to have a certain behavior. There may be an underlying reason why you binge.

First start with:

Loving yourself
    Treating yourself with kindness
    Don't say negative things about yourself
    Forgive yourself
    Get professional help if needed.
    Find a friend you can confide in.
    Take one day at a time. Sometimes
    one moment at a time.
    Come up with pros and cons of your behavior.

I quit smoking and drinking 14 years ago. I was addicted to both and quit cold turkey. I have never smoked again, But there are days I really want too. I quit smoking at least 10 times, and this is the longest I've ever gone. I was doing well on the not drinking part, until this year when i got the idea it would be fun and i could handle it. NOT. i quit again.

Binge eating is another compulsive, addictive behavior. I used to do that too. Its just another drug of choice and its legal. The only one we hurt is ourself. Eventually I came to the realization I hated myself, and did not have an ounce of self worth. No matter how hard I tried, I fell back into my old habits again. I wanted to control the food, even though it was controlling me.

I decided one day that I wanted to change but i didn't know how. My life spun out of control and I finally hit bottom. You don't have to hit bottom to quit doing something bad to yourself, but Im just the stubborn kind. So i crashed. Pretty much wanted to die, but was too chicken to do that either. I found myself on my knees crying out to God to help me. When I got up off my knees that day, I knew i was a different person. God changed something deep in me, and that something was love. Love for Him, love for others, and most of all, Love for MYSELF.

I found my worth in Jesus.

Once I felt the love of Jesus, my heart started changing. I started to love myself for the first time. I didn't feel judged by Him. I didn't have to be perfect for Him. I fell to my knees in surrender, asking God to change me and make me into the person He wants me to be. Now you may roll your eyes, and say, 'Oh good grief, another bible banger!" But I can tell you, He changed my heart that day. I was able to stop drinking, and smoking with His help. I began to like myself for the first time in my life. It happened over a period of time, but before i knew it, I was taking care of myself. I gave myself permission to have fun, to love, to joke around, and to not take life so seriously. Now I am working on the last stage of my addictions, and that would be food.

I treat this step the same way i stopped smoking and drinking. The only difference is, that we have to eat, we cant get away from that. I make sure I plan out the day before what I am going to eat. I don't buy things that are really bad for my health, and keep them laying around the house. I mess up, and then i start over. Get rid of the drama, this is a life changing experience. There are days you will be overcome by temptation, move on, start over, and tell yourself today is a new day. Life is short. And its very precious. Begin today to love yourself enough to take the first step in getting healthy. Ask God to help you, and You will be amazed of the outcome.

I hope this helped you in some way. Good luck, and may God bless you, Ruthie
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    try alternative fasting, i think that may help u