Is Christmas going to be a free day for you?

Options

Replies

• slimster1970
    slimster1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nope :-( Intend doing 10 miles early in the day to earn some treats but nothing like the level I'd have gone for last year :-)
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I stick with my routine as much as possible leading up to it, do a little extra running the day before and after, keep it light the days leading up and after, and the day I track. But I dont really hold back. When Im full Im full. My family likes to go on walks in between meals so that helps to get everything moving for the next round lol
  • tstockin
    Options
    Christmas Eve will be my tough evening because we are doing just a dessert buffet because it is later at night. I am going to work out in the morning and count my calories during the day as normal! I agree with most people it is just one day...
  • IvyWhispers
    IvyWhispers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As my mom says, "It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year's that makes you fat. It's what you eat between New Year's and Christmas!"

I like this :') it's such a good saying x
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in the sense that my family are a fairly healthy lot do a lot of the fare will be pretty okay nutritionally.
    My parents are making a sashimi platter Christmas day, but there will be wine and cheese and that sort of thing too.
    Christmas eve is at my sisters and will be a little junkier, turkey, platters, veg, gravy, breads, pork belly and then cakes and biscuits.
    Plus my s/o wants scones with jam and cream for Christmas brekky. I might just stick with my usual for that one :)

My gym is closed for two days over chrissie, I'll get by on some body weight stuff those days
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am more aware of my calories since joining MFP. That being said, I will probably not log Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I will, however, maintain portion control while not depriving myself of anything on the menu. I went on vacatiion in the fall for a week and ate out every day and night, drank lots of alcohol (we were in Key West, after all!), and ate desserts, and although I had gained 4 pounds upon my return, three of them came off within a week, so I'm not going to worry too much about a couple of days! Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy!
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    most definitely a free day but my plan is to work harder and make smart eating choices all week and on christmas morning so I get to enjoy the food. I will only cheat on xmas day though. For thanksgiving I ate bad for four days straight and that was not fun trying to drop those pounds.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Definitely a free day for me! As will this Saturday and next Saturday since we have "holiday" plans both days as well. I plan on keeping up my healthy eating (and exercise routine) all other days though so I'm definitely not concerned about it and looking forward to it. What I'm NOT looking forward to is the 4 days I will be at my in-laws house between Christmas and New Years and completely at the mercy of what she makes/has available.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The only way taking Christmas off will hurt you is if you let it hurt you mentally. If you think, "Well, I blew it, so I might as well keep eating five dozen cookies a day."

I started here in December 20, 2010. I logged my first few days, but took Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, then got back on the logging bandwagon. The way I figured, it wouldn't make any long term difference if I reached my goal weight two days later.

When I was within 10 pounds of my goal, I stopped logging on one weekend day a week. When I reached my goal, I stopped logging on all weekends and holidays. It works for me, and it's good for me emotionally to not be tied too much to logging.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did that for Thanksgiving and almost passed out when I weighed in the next day! Sooooo, I plan on getting up early, going for a nice run and then doing my best not to go too overboard with Christmas dinner. Since my daughter and I are doing the cooking that should help. I never seem to have much of an appetite after I slave in the kitchen! :happy:
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I quick add 3000 calories in the morning and then thats the end of MFP for the today. Happy Holidays to everyone.

EXACTLY... There is NO way possible I will sit and calculate everything. All I do, same as I have done for Thanksgiving is go to the gym and work out then quick add. It's the Holidays things should be NICE AND SIMPLE.. :drinker:
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    At my family holidays, no matter which side of the family, it's all homemade, family-recipe style food. I have no clue how to log that!! I just eat simple for breakfast (oatmeal), run the night before, and devour some food made with love and rainbows lol:smooched:
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just wondering who is taking christmas off calorie wise.

It's not such a big deal in my case seeing as I'm eating a surplus at present anyway, but I'm going to eat some JUNK. Gravy, cake and chocolate come at me! Plus a few beers, maybe some champagne.

Will you log your calories?
    I will. Mostly out of curiosity. What about working out?
    Is there anything in particular you're looking forward to chowing down on?

I am going to try to log calories, but I am not too worried about them...I am planning on going over anyway. :wink:

As far as exercise, depending on the weather I am planning to go for a short run when I wake up.

I am looking forward to eating EVERYTHING! My family does italian food for Christmas...this year it'll be lasagna, stuffed shells, antipasto salad, bread, green beans and tiramisu (and Bailey's!) for dessert.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I probably won't log calories only because I will be guessing at how much of everything I had.

As for it being a "free" day for me? Probably not. I will still indulge but I don't plan on gorging myself but if I do, no big deal.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I will work out hard

then

DRINK
    COOK
    DRINK
    PLAY GAMES
    EAT
    DRINK
    OPEN PRESENTS
    MIDNIGHT MASS
    DRINK :)

AND IT IS WINE SO IT IS OK :)
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Not a free day but i will run 6 miles in the morning and stay with in the calories i gain from the run. I also take the 1 plate approach @ parties and that helps me not over due it.
  • SignalRunner77
    Options
    Christmas?!?! Hell, it's been game-on since Thanksgiving. Is't that what the new year is for? Nothing like the challege of dropping 10 or 15 pounds to get you going in the morning!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wake up, run 10k and then eat what I like all day. Should minimise the damage and it is only 1 day after all!

My plan as well :tongue:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    the real questions is:

WWJD?
  • flutternfly
    Options
    I will log and I will eat what I want but I will be using portion control. I did a 10K on Thanksgiving but I doubt I'll be able to do it in the snow. Looking forward to good food!