can you relate to binge before TOM

Options
This sucks. I try so hard not to binge, something I have been doing for years, and the reason I find myself 50 pounds over weight. However every time I get within a week of my TOM I have some really bad days :( I feel so depressed also around this time, which contributes to what I eat. I feel like I turn to food for that short moment to increase my mood, but then I am left feeling worse than ever. So why do I do it then! I spend all month doing amazing and losing weight but when that time of month comes I creep back up 2-5 pounds. Not sure if its all water but still completely sucks. Any of you ladies feel the same way.. sigh....how many calories can you sometimes find yourself getting up to around then?

Replies

• jaaayyxo
    jaaayyxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Super guilty of this. My anxiety is also pretty bad around TOM, and usually when I'm feeling really anxious I tend to binge. This will sometimes lead to 3-5 days of just horrible, little self control eating.. I don't usually track cal because I know once TOM comes, I'm okay and the scale goes back down so I don't freak out..
    Lately I've been drinking hot decaf tea like crazy though and it's managed to control my anxiety which means less bingeing :)
  • catieishealthy23
    catieishealthy23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm currently PMSing for the first time since getting serious about my weight loss and I'm eating maybe 200 calories over my goal as of yesterday and the day before. Today I've been trying hard to be good but the thing is you need to allow yourself a little of whatever food it is you crave. I'll allow myself a portion of dark chocolate at the end of the day and I'm making some warm comfort food for dinner ( squash and sweet potato curry) If you are going to have a food you crave portion it out so you only have one portion and not the entire container/bag.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    YES!

Before and during. The week before I want to eat ALL THE THINGS and sleep 10 hours a night. :/ I can put on up to 5kg in weight and a couple of inches on my waist too. Cals I have recorded can get up to 3,000.

Having logged a bunch of information I had written out pen & paper styles into MFP and seeing it on a nifty graft, I can the pattern.

Now to try and break it.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    I think today I went up to 2600 cals! SO not like me, I do fine on 1500-1700 and never feel hungry normally..it's insane what your hormones can do. I have always been a super moody/anxiety ridden/depressed person when I have my TOM. I know it's a life style change and not a diet, so it makes me wonder how I can kick this binge habit around this time of month? Sometimes I think maybe therapy is the option HAHA but I know MANY other women can relate. I just hate that this time of month makes me lose control in more than one way :( so frustrating!!
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't so much binge as my tastes seem to change... meaning I want SUGAR! and SALT! instead of salad and chicken. This week I've had cookies almost every day when I'm supposed to be on a low-carb cycle.

It'll be over in a few days and we can get back to normal. :)
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    I don't so much binge as my tastes seem to change... meaning I want SUGAR! and SALT! instead of salad and chicken. This week I've had cookies almost every day when I'm supposed to be on a low-carb cycle.

It'll be over in a few days and we can get back to normal. :)

you're right.. I REALLY need to keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass" lol sometimes it feels like I will binge forever until I am 1000 pounds. Must be the high emotions lol
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly how i am feeling right now! What you just said describes me to a T. No matter how badly i want this goal it is not enough to stop me. So i just deal with it and try to make the other days count.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I aslo crave sugar and salt badly and retain a LOT of water, I feel so bloated, I put on usually put on about 5lbs during the week before, really hard on the motivation to see the scale go up that much in 1 week, but then the weight goes back down within 1-2 after. I do give in my craving, but I try to stick to stuff somewhat healthy like rice crackers but temptation is hard...
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just want anything and nothing. I know, doesn't make sense. BUT I'm the world's worst to go through cupboards and the freezer and the fridge just nibbling on a bite of this or a bite of that and nothing satisfies me. I just started Wednesday and was "grazing" Tuesday, so I should have know it was coming!

Also do the 5 pound weight gain thing! It's just part of life, but it is so damned annoying!
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    I end up going over by 500 to 800 calories one or two days during the TOM. That ends up equaling up to a 3- 5 lbs gain and then the minute it's over-Back down to normal weight at the time. One or two days doesn't kill me I have found out so I stopped beating myself up over it.
  • SwolfeC
    SwolfeC Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OMG this hits home so hard! i am there right now. I have been feeling bummed all week and eating so many cookies from around my office where as most weeks I would just pass them by. I go over around 200-500 calories and am currently 3lbs up and I am hoping that it will go back down.

Its just hard because I feel like it wastes two weeks for me, the one week I go up and then the week I get back down to my lowest.

I just need to make better choices i guess!
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    yep, I am am up 3 pounds from just the past two days of making poor choices. I do okay all day, but then after dinner is when the binge happens!!! CARBS! Last night I ate a chicken wrap AFTER dinner, and a huge bag of popcorn. I almost went and bought timbits from tim hortons too until I read they were 70 cals for ONE. I hate this week so much. When I am done having children I swear I'm getting everything removed haha jk.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As I drink my Dr. Pepper...I can totally relate :)
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    yes i do it all the time, thats how i know like the week before or the week of its coming. I get crazy cravings, and then i want to eat everything in site and feel like im never full, and then once TOM leaves im back to normal.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    lol :)
    Well I just tried something different. Normally I have a 400 calories lunch, today I had a carb/protien filled lunch of pasta and chicken(600 cals) Hoping that maybe now when dinner rolls around I won't be starving and eat everything in sight lol
  • patty4899
    Options
    Guilty of this also - but to save my sanity I do eat around 200 calories over - otherwise I'd be such a B****
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Dont beat urself up too much over it, its nature.... TOM, means HIGH levels of hormones, which = emotions running high, and all other things... fact is we CRAVE all sorts of things when its that time, even Sex. Its natural... just try ur best to fight it :)
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually crave chocolate and sweets of any kind. So most times I give in and try and walk/jog for 30 mins that day.
  • christine5791
    christine5791 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Omg, yes.... I never seem to clue in until after I look at the calendar either.... I get the worst case of munchies ever, and I let myself slide to some degree but not full out nuts....and then I'm thinking...wait a freakin' minute....*looks at calendar*....every damned time...lol... but then I try to not mentally beat myself up over it and I blame the t.o.m. :) and get back at it the next day :)
  • cinderelli83
    Options

you're right.. I REALLY need to keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass" lol sometimes it feels like I will binge forever until I am 1000 pounds. Must be the high emotions lol
    [/quote]

THis made me LAUGH out loud at work- I feel the same way... and also need to remember that "it's just that time".... I too feel like once i decided "fu*k it, i'm just going to eat a big mac because i'm sad", then that's it for me. i may as well give up because i have ZERO will power. Which makes me feel even more sad and depressed and all that stuff that seems like the end of the world for that PMS week.

Why did I have to be a GIRL!?!?!

But the above is right- this too shal pass. And thinking ahead is what really is important in all of this weight loss stuff. It truly is a life change... and life doesnt go to **** in the one week of hell per month we all go through.... regardless of all the feelings that point to the reasons that it does.

Someone above mentioned drinking tea (cafine free), that's a great idea... fills you up and also provides that little element of comfort. I like to book things for myself that week that force me to move around and be active... group activities (that don't revolve around food), or plan to exersize more. This usually curbs my appetite- and puts me in better spirits.

Thanks for this post! I hate the dreaded TOM!!