Burning Man?

Phera
Phera Posts: 269 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Hello,

I'm not exactly new to MFP but I've lost and gained the same 10 lbs multiple times here and I'm determined that this time will be different. I want to weight 20 lbs less than I do today in time for Burning Man. I don't want to run around the Playa feeling fat and self-conscious. I've got about 4 months to lose 20 lbs which isn't unrealistic. Anyone else going to Burning Man or care to join me in a challenge to lose 20lbs by August?

Replies

• Not going to Burning Man (though definitely wish I was), but I would love to lose 20 pounds by August :) Count me in.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    I've been wanting to go to BM foreverrrrr.
  • Phera
    Woohoo! This is my first time to BM even though my friends have been going for years. Every year I kept saying this would be the year I go and every year I didn't go so this is finally the year. I've got some awesome costume ideas and would love to feel comfortable enough to wear them in public.

I'm going to commit to weighing in every Sunday and have already found some coworkers to walk with me during lunch to get more exercise in. Are you guys just calorie counting or doing other things to lose the weight?

CherokeeBabe, love the corset. It looks very uplifting ;-)
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    I'm in! I am also aiming to lose 20lbs by August. I am going to Playa del Carmen August 1st!!
  • Woohoo! This is my first time to BM even though my friends have been going for years. Every year I kept saying this would be the year I go and every year I didn't go so this is finally the year. I've got some awesome costume ideas and would love to feel comfortable enough to wear them in public.

I'm going to commit to weighing in every Sunday and have already found some coworkers to walk with me during lunch to get more exercise in. Are you guys just calorie counting or doing other things to lose the weight?

I love any event where I can wear a costume :)

As for the weight loss, I calorie count and work out when I can. I should work out much more, but it's hard to get my friends to go with me. I play tennis sometimes and have mock swordfights with my cousin, which can burn a lor of calories :laugh:

I might have to weigh in Mondays or maybe late on Sunday, because I'm usually not at university on weekends.
  • Phera

I love any event where I can wear a costume :)

Me too. I finally took a fashion design/clothing construction class this semester to learn how to really sew instead of just fudging it like I've done in the past. I have plans for a French court dress that I think will be awesome but I want to be able to size it to a smaller me.

Mondays are fine too. I have a computer at work that I check (probably way too often). Just looking for some motivated people so we can help keep each other on track.
  • AmandaB4588
    Are we going to post our weights here every week?

I have lost 16 lbs so far by dieting mostly. I have been in the gym every now and then but haven't yet made a habit of it. I started a new workout on Monday and am also doing c25k so I definitely plan to rev up the exercise. I just hope I stick with it!
  • Phera
    I would prefer to post once a week. I can post Monday if that's easier than Sundays.

Here's some of my background: my heaviest weight was 171 but I haven't been there for about 9 months. I lost 10 lbs last September but I have gained back about 5 lbs. I would love to get to 145 by the beginning of August which is about 17 weeks away. However, I haven't seen 145 for about 12 years. My more recent lowest was 151 about 5 years ago.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    My husbands going to burning man this year too.

You might think twice about that court dress. It's SSSEEEEEEERiously hot during the day and SEEEEERRRRiously cold at night.
  • Me too. I finally took a fashion design/clothing construction class this semester to learn how to really sew instead of just fudging it like I've done in the past. I have plans for a French court dress that I think will be awesome but I want to be able to size it to a smaller me.

Mondays are fine too. I have a computer at work that I check (probably way too often). Just looking for some motivated people so we can help keep each other on track.

That sounds like a way cool costume :smile: I would really like to take a class like that too. Hopefully I'll be able to this summer, along with whatever martial arts class I can find. I'm sure you'll look great in the costume.
  • AmandaB4588
    I would prefer to post once a week. I can post Monday if that's easier than Sundays.

Here's some of my background: my heaviest weight was 171 but I haven't been there for about 9 months. I lost 10 lbs last September but I have gained back about 5 lbs. I would love to get to 145 by the beginning of August which is about 17 weeks away. However, I haven't seen 145 for about 12 years. My more recent lowest was 151 about 5 years ago.

You sound a lot like me! :-) My heaviest was 173, and I got to 160 MANY times before starting to gain again. I finally got past the 160 mark and am now at 157. Despite eating well and going to the gym all week, I still fear that I will get back up to 160! It is a serious mental block for me. These 160's haunt me!

I can post Sunday or Monday, whichever you guys prefer. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 17 weeks to reach our goal!
  • Phera
    The 160s do seem to be my bane and I'd really like to get out of them since 154 would move me into healthy BMI territory. I will be camping in Death Valley this weekend so I wont be posting until Sunday night or Monday morning. We have our food planned out and lots of hiking so I think I'll do well on the calories. I'm also taking a little notepad to write down the foods to enter when I get back.
  • Phera
    Just checking in. Scale says I only lost half a pound last week but I am so sore from this weekend. Went camping in Death Valley and walked all over, went horseback riding, and hiked up a mountain. Curious to see if the scale moves a bit more later this week. Hope you all had a great holiday weekend.
  • AmandaB4588
    My scale didn't budge this week, but my waist is smaller. I just started a heavy lifting program that warns that you may not see weight loss for awhile due to water in your muscles, but as long as the rest of me is shrinking, I am happy! Good luck to everyone this week!
  • Phera
    I'm checking in a day early because when I got on the scale it said I'm down to 163 which is a pound and a half for the week. Woohoo! 18 pounds left and still have 15 weeks until August 1st!
This discussion has been closed.