Options

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

Militant vegan, nothing to see here
    Militant vegan? That's a bit of an oxymoron.

First off, many vegans take protein powder, and vegan powders exist, so me being vegan has absolutely nothing to do with me feeling like pills and powders are BS

Even before i was vegan, i didn't take protein supplements, because nutrition comes from food, not powder. I never felt like i had a powder deficiency, so why would i feel the need to take powder to fix my non-existent deficiency?
  • Rocbola
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

My bad. I forgot that vegans don't need the same nutrients as the rest of us to function. Oops.
    Vegans and non-vegans have the same nutritional needs; we are all the same species.

Neither one needs a powder to function.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

First off, many vegans take protein powder, and vegan powders exist, so me being vegan has absolutely nothing to do with me feeling like pills and powders are BS

Even before i was vegan, i didn't take protein supplements, because nutrition comes from food, not powder. I never felt like i had a powder deficiency, so why would i feel the need to take powder to fix my non-existent deficiency?

I respect your right to feel what you feel about all this but your position is not backed by science nor varied experience and your all or nothing approach is unappealing to the masses
  • Rocbola
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

I respect your right to feel what you feel about all this but your position is not backed by science nor varied experience and your all or nothing approach is unappealing to the masses
    Being against false foods, like pills and powders, is not an "all or nothing" approach. A whole foods diet is not backed by science?

I have no desire to appeal to the masses, i base my opinions on the scientific data, not on palatability. I accept that most people believe what they want to believe, not what is correct.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

Being against false foods, like pills and powders, is not an "all or nothing" approach. A whole foods diet is not backed by science?

I have no desire to appeal to the masses, i base my opinions on the scientific data, not on palatability. I accept that most people believe what they want to believe, not what is correct.

dude...come on...fess up

you have called just about everything poison except raw organic broccoli
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk because my mom buys it for my brother and I can steal it and use it for free. :)
  • Rocbola
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

dude...come on...fess up

Fess up to what? You still hold your mis-interpretation of a previous thread against me, and have objected to everything you've seen me say, ever since. You have not any argument regarding protein powder, but you sure want to tell me your thoughts on my approach.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    None.

Why do you say this?

dude...come on...fess up

Fess up to what? You still hold your mis-interpretation of a previous thread against me, and have objected to everything you've seen me say, ever since. You have not any argument regarding protein powder, but you sure want to tell me your thoughts on my approach.

I dont hold it against you, like I said, I respect your right to feel the way you feel.

But as you know, no one ever wins these philosophical debates...so good luck
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Ideologies on food aside, who need protein powders? Well, I guess no one needs them but who are they best for? If someone is trying to up protein to get more lean body mass but isn't doing a lot of lifting, yet, or not like super crossfit athletic would the added protein be a benefit for keeping them full longer and less likely to snack on carby things or would it just add to bloat and weight gain. And since I'm not on testosterone I'm not worried about getting bulky.
  • geekgirl71
    geekgirl71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha 6 - strawberry milkshake....yummy!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Ideologies on food aside, who need protein powders? Well, I guess no one needs them but who are they best for? If someone is trying to up protein to get more lean body mass but isn't doing a lot of lifting, yet, or not like super crossfit athletic would the added protein be a benefit for keeping them full longer and less likely to snack on carby things or would it just add to bloat and weight gain. And since I'm not on testosterone I'm not worried about getting bulky.

chicken would make you feel full longer than powder mixed with water
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells hemp protein powder that is vegan, if anyone's lookin for a hemp based powder.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    protein specifically for women is just a marketing sham. I go with Horleys Ice Whey (it's got BCAA and glutamine). I'm pretty happy with it
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, protein is gender neutral.

Always thought the same. I use Impact Whey Protein from myprotein.com and love it.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan f PHD Diet Whey. (In UK buy at holland and barrett or GNC)
    It's yummy, packs a good protein punch and has slightly fewer calories per protein gram than other brands.

I looove the vanilla flavour in porridge
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    There isn't a difference. Seriously.
  • ValerieKaren6
    Options
    I'm new to the whole "protein shake" world. I thought as a woman I'd gain mass and didn't want that- I was wrong. So far my research has prevailed optimum nutrition whey- to be most "liked"..
    Gonna try chocolate.
    I hope it works as I want it too- right now I basically eat giant salads filled with everything but the kitchen sink! But not much variation- I work out almost 3 hrs daily. I'm not getting
    Enough food- I'm a slow learner!
    85 mins of workout is elliptical so it's not as intense as it seems- also doing insanity at night.
    Hoping this added
    Protein will help me get
    More toned.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    whatever you decide, stay out of GNC

they are over priced. buy from Amazon or bodybuilding.com

avoid soy (IMO)

read the ingredients....know what they are and how much of each

fage greek yogurt, tuna, chicken, beef are my preferred protein sources but I will add in whey and casein powders

adding chocolate protein powder to plain fage yogurt then in the freezer for 20 minutes is a great protein packed treat

netrition.com and supplementwarehouse.com have good prices as well.

Eat the Bear is great, according to some of the stores locally, it's supposed to be the purest protein available. Is it? I don't know, but I love the taste, it doesn't have a lot of extra crap in it and the protein/cal ratio is good.
  • Freshstartingmyhealthylife
    Options
    I don't believe there is a protein powder just for women....well there are ones designed for women but they usually aren't any different or that great tasting (I had definity & sculptress from Maxitone, both tasted horrible and didn't mix well at all)

Just go for Optimum Nutrition or OneWhey :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You need to find something strong enough for a man but PH balanced for a woman

Is that so it won't make you bulky?

I recently took some protein that was PH balanced for a woman.

I grew breasts.