why does losing weight have to be so hard???

Options

Replies

• sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Focus on driving the car. Filling up at the gas station isn't the high point.

This is full of awesome.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Try focusing on eating healthy and not on losing weight. For most merely eating better results in weight loss. Make small changes each week. Aim for reduced calories but don't obsess if you go over the alloted amount.

IF you find you are not losing weight after 6wks (6-10lbs) than revamp.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One thing I try to do, when I start feeling the pangs of snack cravings: drink water. Half the time, we are actually thirsty as opposed to hungry, but we're so used to reaching for food we fail to recognize what our body actually wants. I get the 1L bottles of clear, sugar free caffeine free sodas (like Clear American at Walmart) to help me fill up (I think the carbonation makes you feel fuller). It also helps to munch on healthy things: peanuts and raisins, celery, pistachios . . . low carb and tasty! Get mini sandwich flat rounds and make your own pizza. Then you have the taste of that wonderful pizza you're craving, but a healthier, far smaller version of it. Don't completely deprive yourself. Make it a reward. Allow yourself one meal a week to "cheat."
  • ElliieMental
    Options

Love this!
  • pbblacknsexy
    pbblacknsexy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The first week is hard, trust me it was hard for me to so you are not alone. What I did I stop eating rice bread and pasta as a start to cutting back on my starches. I eat fruit and cereal which are still starches. That helped a lot for me. I actually dropped 4 pounds in one week when I did that. Now its been 3 weeks I don't crave the bread rice and pastas. The less you have of the carbs the less you crave them. Stay focused and you have lots of people to encourage you on this site.....Good Luck.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Try keeping a bit less of a deficit so you arent starving.
    Try eating better foods so that you can eat more & feel full without racking up calories (lots of veggies & lean meats, toss in a few nuts)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Actually, for me, driving the car is boring...filling up at the gas station means I get to pee and grab something to drink and snack on, so it really is the high point for me.
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    Bottom line..because it is..end of story. That's why very few are successful at it. The majority of folks don't want to do anything that requires effort and work. They're looking for that magic solution where they can just sit on their *kitten* and lose weight. Why do I know this? Because I was there. I was one of those lazy people. It's not about just losing the weight, you have to change EVERYTHING. The way you eat, you need to start working out, and most of all you have to change your mindset..that's where everyone gets stuck. It's not just about watching what you eat and working, it is a complete lifestyle change. It's so hard to get rid of those negative and defeating thoughts. I battled those demons for 2 years. But now that I have changed my lifestyle and lost 35 lbs since March, and it's not so hard anymore. Yes, I still eat pizza, but now I've learned how to plan ahead and plan my meals especially when I know there is a special event coming up where I may not be eating so healthy. I haven't gained one pound back and I have 50 to go. But I know I'll do it !!
  • ebrown30
    ebrown30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been a yo-yo for years with my weight never seeing the reults I wanted to see in the first week. If I watch what I eat and work out I should have something to show for it. But I never did.

But this time seems different...What seems to have helpled me is sticking to the plan MFP set up for me. Working out, and most of all starting to understand how all the math works. What my BMR, TDEE, Net calories and calorie deficit are. Understanding these and implamenting a spread sheet some one else posted has really clicked for me.

I hope you stick with it. Give it some time.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't always be hungry. If you are, you need more protein.

^THIS^

Although I love carby stuff too, I find eating protein stops me feeling hungry.

And a whole pizza would make me ridiculously uncomfortable, gassy and bloaty (although that hasn't stopped me in the past).
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, losing weight is not the hard part. The hard part is finally coming to the realization that losing weight is not a goal, it's a result. It's a result of making the necessary decisions to BE more healthy. Eating better, eating less, exercising. These aren't short term steps with a defined finish line. THERE IS NO FINISH LINE! Too many people start down this path and feel that if they get to their goal weight, then they've accomplished what they set out to do and can stop. That's how the yo-yo happens. There is no stop.

Until you realize that weight loss is nothing more than a by-product of long term choices... choices that we must all make in perpetuity, then you'll never truly develop the resolve and self-motivation to get there. It's why so many people talk about it being a lifestyle change. That means permanent. If you don't intend to maintain the healthy choices permanently, then you'll put the weight back on, and it will all be for nothing.

There is no finish line; there's only a neverending race. The weight loss is simply a result that happens because you choose to participate in the race.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm only on week one and feel like I should give up already!

Gaining weight is easy for me half the time I don't even know I'm gaining but losing is hard!! I'm always hungry. Grouchy cus I always want something carbolicious. I just need some tips or something cus by this time next week I may just order me a whole pizza and eat all of it at the rate I'm going!

Your weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't come off overnight either. If you want the weight loss you've got to work for it, and work hard. You've got to REALLY want it and you've got to be determined. Yes it's hard, but lot's of things in life is hard, and this is one of them. Gaining is normally easy because you don't watch what you eat, and don't think about how much your eating when your not tracking or aware of it. Take it one step at a time, and it may be easier to deal with. Take the stairs, when you go somewhere park way out in the middle of nowhere in the parking lot. Start adding exercise in and start making healthier choices.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One thing that has really helped me was reading about junk food. Reading The Omnivore's Dilemma made it hard for me to picture "yummy" foods the same way. Now, just the idea of eating a cheeseburger and french fries makes me sick.
  • LAWSBIGGAL
    Options

I like this. :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Remember:

Weight (whether too little or too much) is only a symptom of something else.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    my guess you did your math wrong, if you want it to be redone, then ask me and i will tell you how to do it, or check some other threads where i answered this question

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819189-new-here-am-i-doing-it-right
  • PurpleKisses85
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do it! I love carbs and salt and i finally found for me i have trouble giving up the good foods so i exercise to earn them. In that i have found as i exercise and drink more water my cravings are dwindling away which makes it easier to eat salads, fruits and veggies and still have more room left for the good things.

Part of my issue is that I don't exercise. I need to I admit
  • PurpleKisses85
    Options
    The first week is usually the hardest... I was hungry all the time, grouchy, and really just wanted to give up and keep eating what I love and what makes me happy.

This is about a life change, though... you're going to have to sacrifice at first. It does get much easier to eat healthier after week 1... your stomach shrinks and you start finding foods you love that are low calorie OR low cal versions of the food you love.

Also, you HAVE TO exercise as well. Eating right on it's own won't help you lose the weight or feel as fantastic NEARLY as fast as you'll lose if you add some work outs in your daily routine!! Start small... walking the dog. Walking around your work building on your lunch break, then work it up to jogging or joining your local YMCA. Honestly, the guilt of PAYING for the gym and not going is what gets me there lately. ;)

GOOD LUCK and we're here to support ya!

Great advice I will use. Thanks!!!
  • PurpleKisses85
    Options
    for a lot of people, the more refined carbs (sugar, flour, etc) you eat, the more you want. I would suggest trying really hard for a couple of weeks not to eat much of that stuff and eventually you won't crave it so much.

Notice I didn't say NOT to eat it, just focus on trading those things for fruit (still carbs, but more filling), vegetables, and lean proteins.

I'm going to give it a try!!! thanks for the tip
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    the key is to replace bad habits with good ones. It is hard but if you don't make serious changes you will yoyo your whole life. Make this time your last :)