ViSalus or Vi-Shape Shakes

Options
I have a couple of friends that I work with and they drink the shakes once a day. I'm lactose intolerant and the ingredients say it's lactose free, however when I read the full ingredient list there is whey protein in it. I remember a couple of years ago when I had this really bad reaction to any form of whey or dairy produtct. I really want to try the shakes because of all of the benefits of the vitamins and loosing weight. Has anyone who is lactose intolerant tried the shakes and if so have they had any issues or reactions to it? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits that you want that you can't get from regular food?
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    Whey protein is made from milk. However, if it is a pure whey protein with no carbs/sugars from the protein itself then you should be fine. Lactose is the sugar in milk. So you are intolerant to the sugar. If you get a high quality protein (not Vi shakes) then you shouldn't have any adverse reactions to it.

If you want to spend money on a protein drink that doesn't really give you a whole lot of protein for the price, then by all means get the Vi shakes. If you like getting what you pay for, go to a local mom and pop nutrition store and ask them. Do not go to GNC. I go to these guys: www.totalnutritiondallas.com and specifically the Mansfield store. Great service and they know their stuff.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You can get the same results using lesser costing protein shakes with ingredients that won't make your colon explode. Find a nice egg, soy, or casein (sometimes people who are lactose intolerant cannot have whey but can have casein, some can't have either).
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Just avoid it all together
    It's a Soy based protein powder
    Too much soy can alter hormone levels; especially in women. Soy mimics and sometimes blocks estrogen.
    Cause a depressed thyroid gland which ican lead to weight gain, lethargy, fatigue, hair loss and loss of libido
    Can be difficult for the body to digest

Do some research of your own first - consumer reports - the effects of soy on your diet.

I tried it and it sent my body into a tailspin that I'm still trying to correct almost a year later.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

^^^
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need vitamins and minerals from a protein shake, why not eat real food?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I always think it's funny how people swear how much better they feel when they drink these shakes. It's got to be the placebo effect. My daughter in law bought all the stuff and used it for about a week. Swore she felt sooooo much better but now it's all sitting in the corner untouched because drinking your meals gets real old real fast.
  • kayprincess08
    Options

^^^

I wanting the vitamins that you get from it and all the fiber. I like how when you drink depending on either a shake or drink and all of the vitiams get into your system faster. I have a bad time about getting my vitamins and nutrients from food that I eat because of my dietary needs.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

^^^

I wanting the vitamins that you get from it and all the fiber. I like how when you drink depending on either a shake or drink and all of the vitiams get into your system faster. I have a bad time about getting my vitamins and nutrients from food that I eat because of my dietary needs.

You would probably be better off getting a multi-vitamin and some fish oil to be honest. You can get the shakes if that's what you want, but there are a lot of other ways that are more reasonable for the long term.

If you want the shakes for weight loss, while it may work at first, once you start eating like "normal" you will gain the weight back. That's the problem with a lot of these diets. Teach yourself to eat in moderation, eat what you want, keep it at your calorie deficit, take some supplements and you'll have the recipe for long term success.

There are people on My Fitness Pal who have lost 100, 200, even 300 pounds eating real food and working out. These are the people you should listen to, these should be your examples.
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Visalus shakes for a year with a little break during the summer. A poster had said something about the soy and messing up hormons. The soy that is in these shakes are the NON-GMO soy protein which does not affect any hormone levels in woman. I have been tested for lactose issues and said I am intolorant but I know that i am a bit because if I have to much dairy I get sick.

I love the shakes and there are so many ways to make them. For me they are easier because of kids and work. I do two shakes a day and for me it comes out to be about .30cents per shake but I do have to buy the milk I use which is almond milk so it makes my shakes around .65 cents per shake.

here is a link that can help explain a lot of stuff.
    http://visalus.com/docs/bbvi/bbvi_faq.pdf
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    I have been doing the Visalus shakes for a year with a little break during the summer. A poster had said something about the soy and messing up hormons. The soy that is in these shakes are the NON-GMO soy protein which does not affect any hormone levels in woman. I have been tested for lactose issues and said I am intolorant but I know that i am a bit because if I have to much dairy I get sick.

I love the shakes and there are so many ways to make them. For me they are easier because of kids and work. I do two shakes a day and for me it comes out to be about .30cents per shake but I do have to buy the milk I use which is almond milk so it makes my shakes around .65 cents per shake.

Sorry but I'm calling BS on your non-GMO soy comment. If it was non-GMO soy, it would be stated as "Non-GMO Soy protein isolate" on the ingredient label.

web-prodpanel-bbvshape-1.jpg
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Sorry but I'm calling BS on your non-GMO soy comment. If it was non-GMO soy, it would be stated as "Non-GMO Soy protein isolate" on the ingredient label.

web-prodpanel-bbvshape-1.jpg

90% of soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified
    And it doesn't matter whether it's non GMO or not....it's the effects of SOY
    Plus, read the Allergen warning closely!
  • lorriratzlaff
    lorriratzlaff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Kay, I am COMPLETELY lactose intolerant and have been drinking the shakes very successfully for over a year and a half now! :)
  • mwitt5912
    Options
    Just make sure you do your research on anything you use. The Vi-shakes are lactose and gluten-free. As one of the people replied below...lactose is the sugar from milk, but is not part of the whey protein in the Vi-shakes. Also...the soy protein in the Vi-Shakes is non-GMO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K205xU7iu1c )and ISOFLAVONE free...therefore, no estrogen or hormone stimulating effects. Which is why it is safe for the majority of populations (including cancer survivors like me). It IS lower in protein than many sources, but...once again...when you do your research you find that the Vi-Shakes are a tri-sorb protein blend (two types of whey and 1 type of soy). The Tri-Sorb protein blend has been clinically proven to be 100% absorbable by the muscle cell, which is very rare for any single source of protein. The body can only absorb so much of various types of protein per serving ingested, so often times a large amount of the protein ingested through shakes with really high grams of protein...is secreted by the body through the kidneys. Protein is very hard on the kidneys so it's important to make sure you're doing what's right for YOUR body. One of the reasons that there are a lot of fitness competitors, bodybuilders, trainers, etc. using the Vi-Shake is because their bodies are able to absorb more protein without hurting their system. This helps them maintain and gain lean muscle mass while keeping their bodyfat percentage low and/or shedding it both on-season and off-season. No matter what you choose...just make sure it works for YOUR body and ignore the rest. Everyone is different and bio-individuality is definitely a factor in my opinion. Oh...and I have a background in both traditional and holistic nutrition, sports medicine, exercise physiology, athletic training and personal training.