Personal trainer

Do you have one and if so, why?? Never been to the gym, always worked out to Body For Life, or another similar program..

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    I've had personal trainers in the past, I don't now. From my experience a great personal trainer is hard to find, and you can spend a lot of money trying to find one that meets your needs. There's no one size fits all answer here - it really depends on what your goals are and what your needs are (I, for one, get a better workout when someone plans it all out for me and tells me what to do, whereas this doesn't seem to be a factor for my husband).
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Yes, because I wanted to lift weights/strength train and I didn't know how. Accountability is also my way of staying on track, so between the cost and having someone work out with me it's worked well. Actually, the best decision I made with regards to my fitness.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    I have one because is provided by my employer free of cost. It has been of great help for me.. Look at my profile stats... very staisfied with my results...
  • Nope. A personal trainer is just too expensive. I go to the gym a lot and I read everything I can find about tips and suggestions and I'm lucky that if I do have a question usually the trainer at the gym can answer it or suggest where to point me.

I'm also stubborn. I have a hard time with being told what to do. I feel I'm being bossed around. Other people consider that encouragement I just find it harassment I'm paying for...

I think of it as a personal challenge, a puzzle of enjoyment, to try to figure out the best approach to my current training situation. But if none of my methods work, well the gym offers 1 free session with a trainer. Which is nice but still... free harassment.
  • I have had one in the past and he was amazing! If you need the extra push and aren't too familiar with strength training and what works best for you, give it a try. i now know enough to take care of myself, and I still call him for advice and motiviation! (Doesn't hurt that we're really good friends)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    I just started working with one the beginning of November and it was so I could get pushed harder - and he has done that for me and I am definitely noticing a difference - I love that he doesnt focus on the scale - and I have lost inches and am getting into smaller pants and getting so strong - I bench pressed 110# today during my session with him
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    i have a coach. I put a good amount of focus on Olympic lifts and good coaching is pretty important in improving ones performance. I do enjoy working out with a group, as i find that (assuming the right group dynamic) we push each other to work even harder.

I think the same theory works well for new lifters and most new lifters would benefit from a good trainer teaching them proper technique. I would say that MOST people are pretty bad at being able to accurately "feel" their body positions. in other words, you "think" you are doing one thing but your body is moving in a completely different way.

if you cant afford a trainer, bring a camera with you to the gym and film your technique and compare to examples of good form on the internet.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Nope. A personal trainer is just too expensive. I go to the gym a lot and I read everything I can find about tips and suggestions and I'm lucky that if I do have a question usually the trainer at the gym can answer it or suggest where to point me.

This would be my situation. I am at the gym 4x per week. I try to figure out stuff on my own as much as I can. When there is something I am not comfortable with on my own, I ask the trainer to help me when he has an extra minute. he has watched my squat form, and showed me how to deadlift...and shown me some dumbbell stuff. Can hardly wait until I CAN afford to hire him!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Every six months I treat myself to a session with a trainer.

The last one told me not to worry about lifting or running any races, to instead work on stretching, improving my posture and making sure I always stand with my feet facing forward instead of out, "which you do- but make sure that doesn't change".

Short story shorter, Im not going to treat myself to THAT trainer anymore.

BUT I did have this other trainer I met with, who showed me how to shadow box for a workout at home, taught me these crazy bodyweight pendulum things that really tear up my midsection. He showed me how do a plank properly, introduced me to the fact that I have phenomenal recovery time. he also got me to not be scared of the gym, cause we were having fun, doing lots of verbs, he listened to me and I left feeling like a champion.

Actually - I have a picture of me that day... check out the happy warrior!

b456524188.jpg
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Yes, because I wanted to lift weights/strength train and I didn't know how. Accountability is also my way of staying on track, so between the cost and having someone work out with me it's worked well. Actually, the best decision I made with regards to my fitness.

Accountability, tailoring the workout to the equipment that I have or generally encounter on business trips, suggesting ways to change it up.
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    I'm thinking of getting one. I turn 40 June 2014 and would like to hire one June 2013 to get me on a workout plan that I could eventually do on my own. I just do not know where to start.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i had a personal trainer that was awesome. i met with him only 6 times in six months. i told him that i want to get strong in the legs.

he showed me dead lifts, clean and jerks, kettle bell stuff. lots of great stuff.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Every six months I treat myself to a session with a trainer.

The last one told me not to worry about lifting or running any races, to instead work on stretching, improving my posture and making sure I always stand with my feet facing forward instead of out, "which you do- but make sure that doesn't change".

Short story shorter, Im not going to treat myself to THAT trainer anymore.

BUT I did have this other trainer I met with, who showed me how to shadow box for a workout at home, taught me these crazy bodyweight pendulum things that really tear up my midsection. He showed me how do a plank properly, introduced me to the fact that I have phenomenal recovery time. he also got me to not be scared of the gym, cause we were having fun, doing lots of verbs, he listened to me and I left feeling like a champion.

Actually - I have a picture of me that day... check out the happy warrior!

b456524188.jpg

:heart: this!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I had one once, and I saw no results with her, but I did learn how to do squats and bench press. She just didn't challenge me enough or teach me about nutrition. I've also had a lot of free training sessions when I've joined gyms, and out of those only one trainer's given me confidence that he could help me meet my goals.

I think they're worth the money if you a) need to learn form or b) manage to find a great one who can work with you and push you. Otherwise, following a weightlifting book and making friends at the gym can get you pretty far.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    bodybuilding.com

Use the free 12 week trainers. Teach you the basics and gives you a plan... FOR FREE. I'm on Week 10 of the Kris Gethin 12 week trainer and I've seen amazing results. Regardless of whether or not you have a trainer, you MUST do the work.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    While I am a personal trainer, I still wanted to answer this question because it's the reason I became one. When I was younger (like 16) my dad invested in me enough to get me a trainer. The trainer taught me things I teach my clients today and it still applies. Especially if you are just starting out and you want to be safe, get someone who knows what they're doing and somebody you can "click" with. It doesn't necessarily have to be the biggest guy or girl in the gym, but someone that genuinely cares about your progress and wants to train you to where you can carry on an effective workout on your own as well.
  • I'm a personal trainer and I have a personal trainer. There is something about the accountability and time with someone else that has the same goals that makes it fun. I'm a very social person, so this may be why I think I'll always train with someone else.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    In the past I have at a Gym he was awesome - got me some awesome results but my Gym closed.
    I have one now he comes to the house once a week - he works out 3 of us he's awesome!
    He motivates us and now we are working on Heavy Lifting so we need help on form etc.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    I'm a PT.

I became a PT because trainers like Yoovie described exist, exercise and fitness has been my biggest interest for the longest time and I like helping people, but not as much as I hate people that sell nonsense.

Some PTs offer part sessions, the most you have to lose is the money it cost for the session. You've far more to gain, as the posters will cover.
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    I currently see a trainer twice a week and he is awesome. He's completely encouraging, keeps in contact during the week to see how I'm going.

I wanted to lose weight and get stronger and his advice so far has been great. He works me hard and more importantly he shows me how to do everything properly. He also advises me on my nustrition and introduced me to supplements which I had never considered before.

As others have said it can be hard to find a really good one but I've been lucky with mine.