Allie...anyone tried it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    hello, im taking alli now, im on my second bottle, and i have lost about 25 pounds so far..i have not had any nasty side effects i havent eaten any red meat, or full fat dairy products, and i have been going to the gym at least twice a week.i say go for it, it works great!!
    So...I'm curious...and I mean this honestly...You admit you've been going to the gym and eating differently correct? So wouldnt you be losing weight regardless of wether you were talking a pill or not? I think that's what I find most interesting about these pills. If you would just do the diet change AND exercise, you'd lose weight without putting some foreign chemicals in your body no? Just something to think about! Congrats on your weightloss though! :)

I can tell you why I have decided to use Alli. I am losing over 100 pounds. I have been losing weight for 6 weeks and have been using Alli for two of those weeks. I was averaging 2.5 lbs a week before Alli and on Alli I am losing 3.5 to 4 lbs per week. So that means that with Alli instead of my total weight lost taking 42 weeks it will take 26 to 30 weeks...that's a HUGE difference.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So...I'm curious...and I mean this honestly...You admit you've been going to the gym and eating differently correct? So wouldnt you be losing weight regardless of wether you were talking a pill or not? I think that's what I find most interesting about these pills. If you would just do the diet change AND exercise, you'd lose weight without putting some foreign chemicals in your body no? Just something to think about! Congrats on your weightloss though! :)

The claim is that you'll lose weight faster. It keeps some fat calories from being absorbed.

When I started back on MFP, it seemed like I didn't lose more than a pound in the first week. I started Alli again, and I'm losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. I admit I think I had a scale problem. Also, there are no known contraindications to Alli. It works in your intestine. It's not absorbed like most oral medications are.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I can tell you why I have decided to use Alli. I am losing over 100 pounds. I have been losing weight for 6 weeks and have been using Alli for two of those weeks. I was averaging 2.5 lbs a week before Alli and on Alli I am losing 3.5 to 4 lbs per week. So that means that with Alli instead of my total weight lost taking 42 weeks it will take 26 to 30 weeks...that's a HUGE difference.
    [/quote]

But, in those 26 to 30 weeks, are you learning to adjust your eating habits and exercise? I'm sure it is wonderful to see the weight coming off so fast, but once you stop taking the pill, the weight WILL come back. My entire family has tried Alli, myself included, and while it was great to lose weight quickly, everything lost was rapidly gained back.

I would stay away from any form of diet pill. This is a lifestyle change and must be completed through exercise and proper food control. Just my $.02
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    my thing?

diet pill = change in your body chemistry, which means once you do lose it, you'll once again have to learn how to eat, and your body will once again need to adjust it's body chemistry. If you're ok with that (it's a MAJOR reason why diet pills fail), then fine.

Alli blocks about 30 to 40% of the fat that comes into your system, which means two things:
    A) if you were eating that much fat that you're losing an extra lb or two, then you were probably eating too much anyway (a person eating 2000 calories a day should be eating about 20% or so of Fats, which comes to 400 a day, times 7 days is 2800 TOTAL fat calories a week you SHOULD be eating, which means there's no way you should be losing an EXTRA lb unless you were eating way to much fat in the first place. That's alli's dirty little secret, all it does is force you to take a hard look at how you eat. Which you could do on your own.
    B) It doesn't differentiate from good fats (omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids) and bad fats, which means that you're blocking (hopefully) a lot higher percentage of the good fat than the bad because we all are eating 80 to 90% good fats right? Good fats are vital to lowering cholesterol, triglycerides, healthy skin, healthy nails, healthy hair, the immune system...etc.

The very fact that someone has a lot of weight to lose means that you should take your time and slowly lose it as opposed to the crash losses that people currently do. OK, if you're in immanent health risk of dying or severe problems, fine crash diet to get you out of danger, but do it with a doctor for a few weeks, not on your own for a few months or years.
    Benefits of slowing down your weight loss:
    -You give your skin a chance to "snap back" so you don't have big giant bags of loose skin that may never recover.
    -You give your body chemistry time to adapt and slowly come back to normal.
    -You give your mind time to develop healthy habits so this can last.
    -You give your body time to adjust to new, more strenuous activity so you are less likely to injure yourself.
    -You give your muscles and organs a chance to relax and not work under extreme stress (very damaging to organs, especially the liver and heart).
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I've tried about every diet pill they have out there. None has worked as much as correcting my Vitamin D deficiency, eating a good diet, and exercising. I've spent way too much of my family's money on these things and haven't had results even close to what I've experienced recently.
  • Prissymissy1984
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:

hello, im taking alli now, im on my second bottle, and i have lost about 25 pounds so far..i have not had any nasty side effects i havent eaten any red meat, or full fat dairy products, and i have been going to the gym at least twice a week.i say go for it, it works great!!

Your right, I just need to lose a lot of weight and it is coming off very quickly with the alli, I have never had anything work as well as this.Alli makes you loose alot more weight that just diet and exercise alone.Im down 30 pounds now, and thats in 2 months time. Thank You, good luck to you on your journey.
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been on alli off and on for a year while I have been losing my weight. I have found it pretty helpful and not experienced an unacceptable amount of treatment effects.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from any form of diet pill. This is a lifestyle change and must be completed through exercise and proper food control. Just my $.02

Alli is not a diet pill, per se. It blocks the absorption of some fat. It does not change your body chemistry. You don't lose weight on Alli if you aren't adopting healthy eating habits. No matter how you lose weight, you will gain it back if you overeat.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    my thing?

diet pill = change in your body chemistry, which means once you do lose it, you'll once again have to learn how to eat, and your body will once again need to adjust it's body chemistry. If you're ok with that (it's a MAJOR reason why diet pills fail), then fine.

Alli blocks about 30 to 40% of the fat that comes into your system, which means two things:
    A) if you were eating that much fat that you're losing an extra lb or two, then you were probably eating too much anyway (a person eating 2000 calories a day should be eating about 20% or so of Fats, which comes to 400 a day, times 7 days is 2800 TOTAL fat calories a week you SHOULD be eating, which means there's no way you should be losing an EXTRA lb unless you were eating way to much fat in the first place. That's alli's dirty little secret, all it does is force you to take a hard look at how you eat. Which you could do on your own.
    B) It doesn't differentiate from good fats (omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids) and bad fats, which means that you're blocking (hopefully) a lot higher percentage of the good fat than the bad because we all are eating 80 to 90% good fats right? Good fats are vital to lowering cholesterol, triglycerides, healthy skin, healthy nails, healthy hair, the immune system...etc.

The very fact that someone has a lot of weight to lose means that you should take your time and slowly lose it as opposed to the crash losses that people currently do. OK, if you're in immanent health risk of dying or severe problems, fine crash diet to get you out of danger, but do it with a doctor for a few weeks, not on your own for a few months or years.
    -You give your skin a chance to "snap back" so you don't have big giant bags of loose skin that may never recover.
    -You give your body time to adjust to new, more strenuous activity so you are less likely to injure yourself.
    -You give your muscles and organs a chance to relax and not work under extreme stress (very damaging to organs, especially the liver and heart).

Thanks for the great advice even though it went on deaf ears. Maybe the post was too long and they didn't read it which is a shame. DIET PILLS ARE BAD!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Alli is not a diet pill, per se. It blocks the absorption of some fat. It does not change your body chemistry. You don't lose weight on Alli if you aren't adopting healthy eating habits. No matter how you lose weight, you will gain it back if you overeat.

I disagree, a pill that blocks the absorption of fat most certainly changes your body chemistry.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I've spent a lot of money on diet pills. I've never had any real success with any of them. The only thing that works for me is changing how I eat and exercising. It's a life style change you need, not a magic pill.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just don't see the point? Why put something in your body when you don't need to? What is the rush? This isn't a race and there is no finish line. This is a permanent lifestyle and mindset change. Risking my health for a quick fix completely contradicts my goal which is to become healthier. Simply unnecessary and not worth it.
  • feetee
    feetee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my thing?

Thanks for the great advice even though it went on deaf ears. Maybe the post was too long and they didn't read it which is a shame. DIET PILLS ARE BAD!

I don't think it fell on deaf ears. I am taking Alli and I read it all. But I have chosen to take it, so I will keep on taking it. I think no matter what advice people are given they will do what the wish anyway. I know, personally, I ask for advice all the time, but negative advice will not always stop me from doing something. It just means you make a more informed decision. Thank you for all the info. If I feel that the weight is coming off too quickly now, I will carry on dieting and discontinue the Alli!! :smile:
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    my thing?

I don't think it fell on deaf ears. I am taking Alli and I read it all. But I have chosen to take it, so I will keep on taking it. I think no matter what advice people are given they will do what the wish anyway. I know, personally, I ask for advice all the time, but negative advice will not always stop me from doing something. It just means you make a more informed decision. Thank you for all the info. If I feel that the weight is coming off too quickly now, I will carry on dieting and discontinue the Alli!! :smile:

I agree, I read all of the post and although I agree with some points I didn't agree with most of it and will continue to take Alli. It has been more that 3 weeks and still no side effects. I love America and the freedoms that allow everyone to speak their mind and and to make up their own minds on what they're told!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've been taking alli, and if anybody's getting side effects, you're doing it wrong! If you follow what the booklet says, no side effects. I've followed almost exactly, and I've been losing weight fine with no treatment effects. None what-so-ever. 15 g of fat per meal. 3 g of fat for snacks. That's all there is to it. Keeps me from eating too much fat, because if I do go over the average of 15 grams of fat, I'm sure I will get side effects.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I took Alli Last year for about 2 months and it worked for me..i was very careful what i ate and therefore had no "treatment effects". Maybe for me it was the fear of having treatment effects that kept me on track.. i lost 25 Lbs in the 2 months that I was on Alli and I did not take it with every meal either ( it was more expensive then) so i would take it once or 2 times a day only.

Read as much as you can find and they do have a good website that u subscribe to when u purchase it.. Whatever you decide, Good luck in yr weight loss journey :)
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started reading everyone else's post but I stopped, so I might be repeating something someone else already said, anyways this is my experience . . .

I have been using Alli for a little over 1 month, just took last pill from bottle last night. I NEVER experienced ANY problems. I NEVER ate any more than the recommended fat intake. I am not sure if it actually helped me loose more weight or not. I was loosing weight without it and continued to loose weight with it. I did not take it if I had no fat intake, so the 1 month supply lasted me a little longer. I am going to go without it for a month and see if my weight loss differs, but I would def. purchase another bottle if I feel it helps.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    This is why I become so frustrated.

Guys, it's NOT about those "side effects". yes, those are horrible and disgusting, and they are one reason not to take these pills. But they are not the main reason to avoid any diet pills.

The real reasons not to take a pill (any diet pill) is that they don't work. seriously, there's been quite a bit of medical research done. Physically? Yes, they can help by artificially changing your body chemistry, but there's a reason why 90% of people who take diet pills re-gain all the weight back, and a reason why more than half of THOSE people actually gain more weight than they started with. Because these pills change our body.

the way you become healthier forever is to change your eating habits, change your lifestyle, and add consistent exercise to your life.

How do we lose weight permanently? We change our habits, we change HOW we eat, what we eat, and how much we eat. then we stay changed by adding activity and exercise to our lifestyle. because, face it, no amount of exercise will KEEP you thin, all it will do is help, the only way to stay healthy is to eat correctly.

I'm not going to fight about this topic, take what ever you like, if it works for you, I'm truly happy. I just want the truth out there, if diet pills worked and were safe, more people would take them and Alli wouldn't need to be running infomercials at 2am on TBS or where ever they run. Look, I know I'm not changing any of you guys' mind because none of you have experienced the horrific embarrassment that I guess you need in order to deem Alli a failure, but ask yourself this one question:

When you stop taking Alli, do you still have to make a major change to eat healthier now that you are no longer taking it? The answer is yes, you have to again adjust your eating habits to accommodate for the extra 25 to 40% of fats coming in (or else you almost certainly WILL gain that weight back). And in the interest of logic, why would you go through TWO habit changes when the second could have been the one and only? Just to lose weight a little faster? That makes very little sense to me. Any way, I realize you're all going to just read this and say "I'm doing it anyway because I want FAST results" so...

Be safe, and go slow.

Best of luck
    -Banks
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I read through the research once and here is what I consider to be the most significant fact:

In a study where diet and exercise were equal between groups taking alli and groups not taking it, the difference in weight loss was an average of 6 pounds in a one year period. In other words, you could have saved the money and the side effects on gotten the same basic results without the pill, assuming you eat healthy and exercise. Essentially, alli is a "behavior modification" drug. If you eat badly, and have an excess of fat in your diet then you will experience the nasty side effects. If you eat well, you'll lose weight.

The other fallacy I find with Alli is the assumption that people will lose weight if they eat less fat. Fat does NOT make you fat. Extra calories make you fat and it doesn't matter if those calories are fat, carbs or protien. The diet industry spent years convincing all of us that fat is evil.