ibuprofen for muscle soreness?

Options
Is it safe to take it every once in a while before my runs if I feel slightly sore?
Or should I just suck it up and run through the soreness?

And yes I do take breaks to rest :)

Replies

• smiley13000
    smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    .... I can't believe no one replied to this!
    Well you know that's what I do ;)
    Just make sure your not overworking yourself (that being the cause of soreness).
    Take care :)
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i tend to rest until im ready to go again.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is safe and great - just not on an empty stomach
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It''s okay to take one after exercise, but you need to be careful about taking one beforehand, because while you may feel better, you may also miss signs of serious injury... like straining something. My advice is that if you are pretty sore, just try and go out. The pain should abate after five minutes. If it doesn't, maybe a rest day is in order.
    Cheers.
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it is "safe". It can absolutely cause problems with your GI system and urinary system. The other issue with taking it before a run is that you're more likely to push through pain that you don't know is there. As in, all the warning pain saying "hey, such and such is really injured, not just sore" - you won't be feeling it properly. I do think it's a good move to take it after a run if you're really feeling sore. Just not all day, everyday.
  • Kasaya20
    Options
    If it is general soreness from an earlier workout and I know that it will go away in a few days I pop an Ibuprofen before I go run. If however, my muscles are aching amd I know very well running will only aggravate them then I back off and cross train to see how they feel later. Just don't take an anti-inflammatory drug before a run to mask recurring pain.
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fight through it if you can. If it is more challenging, it is more rewarding.:wink:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're sore before a run it will usually loosen up once you warm up. I wouldn't take a pain killer before exercising. Take it after if you need to.
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    High doses for prolonged periods of time can be bad for your stomach, but every once in awhile is ok! (moms a nurse, thats what she told me awhile back)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I've taken a very low dose when I am certain that I'm experiencing only muscle stiffness/inflammation However, I know when I'm doing so that I'm taking a significant risk, and so I'm really cautious about pushing known limits. It's already too easy to overtrain.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You can also try topical analgesics i.e. bengay, ice hot, etc. I have arthritis in my knees and concerned about taking NSAIDS on a daily basis, so I use topical analgesics for temporary relief.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    My advice is that if you are pretty sore, just try and go out. The pain should abate after five minutes. If it doesn't, maybe a rest day is in order.
    I agree with this one. That's what I noticed everytime I hit the weight room and the squat rack with a sore body from the previous session. Just after a few moves, the soreness is gone.

The only time that I take pain relievers is when I have a toothache which I cannot stand even the "tiniest" pain.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen can raise your blood pressure and damage liver & kidneys. Ive been informed you should avoid taking any pain relievers while exercising.

Boston and New York marathons will only pass out one or two doses of Tylenol (supposed to be safer) and when they do they tag the runner so he cant get anymore.

If I have general post workout muscle pain it goes away after I begin warming up. If I continue to have pain or discomfort I pay attention and cut the session short & go home. Listen to your body.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen can raise your blood pressure and damage liver & kidneys. Ive been informed you should avoid taking any pain relievers while exercising.

Well then I'm in big trouble cause I take panadine forte 4 times a day, 8 whole doses of 30mg of the stuff just so I can move without pain. I workout like a bugger with it in my system. Been taking them daily for just over 3 years now & not one problem for me. But then it's not Ibuprofen so I don't know... that's like lollies to me that one.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Well then I'm in big trouble cause I take panadine forte 4 times a day, 8 whole doses of 30mg of the stuff just so I can move without pain. I workout like a bugger with it in my system. Been taking them daily for just over 3 years now & not one problem for me. But then it's not Ibuprofen so I don't know... that's like lollies to me that one.

I just googled panadine and found that it can cause lung, liver & kidney problems. Hope you are having regular physicals.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Eat a little something before you take it or you risk a serious tummy ache, but other than that, go for it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It''s okay to take one after exercise, but you need to be careful about taking one beforehand, because while you may feel better, you may also miss signs of serious injury... like straining something. My advice is that if you are pretty sore, just try and go out. The pain should abate after five minutes. If it doesn't, maybe a rest day is in order.
    Cheers.

It's not strong enough to miss signs of injury. If OP was talking about morphine or ketamine, yeah she could definitely get injured w/o noticing it, but a measly OTC NSAID, nah.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Cheers.

It's not strong enough to miss signs of injury. If OP was talking about morphine or ketamine, yeah she could definitely get injured w/o noticing it, but a measly OTC NSAID, nah.

I agree - one or two of any OTC painkiller is practically risk free.
  • Eye_Of_The_Tiger
    Options
    I trained for several marathons and halfs and I would take them during a very long run that I needed to push through. Otherwise I wouls take it afterwards especially for joint pain.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Unless you're actually injured? Then no.

A little bit of DOMS won't kill you. If it's really bad go for a light walk, that'll sort it out. If it's not really bad, then go for a light run, that'll sort it out.

Why reach immediately for the pill bottle?