Protein Powder

Options
OK- can I get some opinions on using protein powder in shakes. What type do you use? What advantages are there in using this? Is is purely to help satisfy you more with the protein. Thanks for the insight.

Replies

• El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Shakes are a convenient way to add protein to your edit. If you are unable to reach your protein needs you can add a shake in to get the 25 or 30 extra grams of protein in your diet.

But it's always better to eat whole clean foods to get your nutrients. It's more of an easy method.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally like whey protein.
    I use About Time Whey and Jay Robb Whey protein. cleanest proteins out there, no sucralose or artificial junk.
    sweetened with stevia, very very low carb, and completely delicious.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use NOW food whey protein isolate unflavored. It doesn't have all the added stuff some of the others have, so I can customize my shakes as I see fit. It also have very little lactose. I'm lactose intolerant, so this is a bonus.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I love them. I put the chocolate in my coffee. :drinker:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    NOW Foods Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate-25g protein, no preservatives or sweeteners. I mix it with organic soy and frozen strawberries, or put it in my oatmeal, or soup.

I use it so I am not that sore after my workouts the next day. I pretty much crave a protein shake after a workout.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein RTDs
    and Isopure Vanilla Protein mixed with milk and sugar free chocolate syrup.

Pro Antium Vanilla is okay, but when mixed with milk gives me too many calories.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    You can look at whey/ casein protein powders as food sources, something to help you hit your daily protein goal. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can buy the cheapest kind you can get your hands on, unless you're lactose intolerant, in which case you might wanna go for the isolate.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options

But it's always better to eat whole clean foods to get your nutrients. It's more of an easy method.

Whey protein is a very high quality protein source. It's biological value is as high as chicken and egg whites.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    IMO protein powders should be a supplement to an already healthy and balanced wholefood diet, they are very convenient for taking right after a workout or adding to a smoothie.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Get Trutein! The hottest protein out there right now. Tastes good, provides 24g protein. Made up of 40% Whey 40% Casein and 20% Egg Whites!
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    With 200ml of toned milk and a scoop of EAS 100% Whey, I get 29gms of high quality protein for less than 250 calories. The fact it tastes good is another plus point :D
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what kind I'm using now but it's the store brand from Shopper's.

I like using protein powder to up my protein and help keep me full. If I'm short on time I'll have just milk and the protein powder for a quick snack or sometimes do that after a workout. Other times I'll add a scoop or two to my regular green smoothie as an after workout snack or breakfast. Or if I don't feel like eating or don't have time that fills in for a meal. I think the biggest benefit for me is that it kept me fuller and I snacked less on unhealthy things. And I didn't have to snack on something every five minutes.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Get Trutein! The hottest protein out there right now. Tastes good, provides 24g protein. Made up of 40% Whey 40% Casein and 20% Egg Whites!

Why can't you just have reduced fat natural dairy if you are going to have whey and casein? Or is it just practicality?
  • bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Try to get the NO Carb, Whey Porotein Isolate, else it sabotages your weightloss goal! I use Metapure from GNC and it is very tasty and keeps me full!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Why can't you just have reduced fat natural dairy if you are going to have whey and casein? Or is it just practicality?

perhaps he is lactose intolerant? And Whey, not so much casein have a much higher bio-availability.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    What advantages are there in using this?

Protein powder is basically a protein supplement. It is used to help reach protein goals. It is not necessary if you are able to reach your protein goals without it.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try to get the NO Carb, Whey Porotein Isolate, else it sabotages your weightloss goal! I use Metapure from GNC and it is very tasty and keeps me full!

Could you elaborate further on the sabotage part? That has me a little confused.

OP. I use Optimum Nutrition Standard Gold Whey. Many different flavors out there, I personally prefer Extreme milk chocolate, however, French Vanilla, Cookies & Cream and Banana are ok too. I use it to up my protein intake. I get most of my proteins from whole food but this helps boost it. It has some carbs and no I'm not sabotaged.

I am also interested in the sabotaging part. OP 100% Gold Standard I personally prefer strawberry ;) and on the tub it says there is 1g carb per rounded scoop.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I tried ON and the taste is just not there. Used probably 20 lbs of that stuff til I change to Elite then to Trutein. Protein is protein but I would like my taste buds to thank me for taking tasty protein shakes over bleh shakes lol.

And yes I am lactose intolerant. Sadly enough..
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I buy Jillian Michaels triple chocolate shake whey protein -- haven't made a shake with it -- I got mine to put in my oatmeal. I love it.