Anyone Lose Weight on Seroquel?

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here has been successfully losing weight while being on Seroquel? If so, please describe to me what you did to lose weight. I haven't started trying to lose weight yet, but I'm concerned that it will be even harder to do while on this medication...?
Thanks!

Replies

• WarriorBill
    WarriorBill Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I GAINED weight, so had to get off it !!!!
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for years and I've never had any issues losing weight on it. Never gained weight on it either. I've been on it for alost four years at 50 mg
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was on Seroquel about three years ago. I was not trying to lose weight at that time, but I did gain weight while taking it.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options
    I've been on it for years and I've never had any issues losing weight on it. Never gained weight on it either. I've been on it for alost four years at 50 mg

50 mg is the lowest possible dose.

Unrelated note, we are both in Kingston, ON.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    If possible, see if your doctor can give you a different medication. If you're a violent schizophrenic, maybe not, but if possible try to switch. I was on 650mg daily (25mg morning, 25mg noon, 600mg night) for sedation and it always made me really hungry, especially the big night dose.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Seroquel was difficult for me to lose weight on. For me this was because it sapped me of all my energy and motivation. I found it hard to focus or concentrate. In the end I decided that I would just have to go for walks. Short at first, increase as I am capable. Also accept that some days you just won't be able to. Try your best and accept your best as progress.

The second part of Seroquel for me was that it had me binge eating. I could not control my eating at all. I gained 60lbs in 10 months on the medication. My therapist ended up switching me to respiradone due to the extreme weight gain. This does not happen to everyone who takes Seroquel, but weight gain of some kind is expected.

I will add that when I was put on Seroquel I had literally had a nervous breakdown. I know they don't call them that anymore, can't remember the clinical name, but the point is I may have been in a worse place than you are currently that may also have affected my results.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

They make 25mg pills as well
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Depends if its XR or not. I know a lot of people on it that were on 12.5mg. Also depends what the purpose of the medication is.

Thats hilarious, I'm not originally from here though, only the last year and a bit.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options

They make 25mg pills as well

They do, but 25 mg is the starting dosage, not the therapeutic dosage. I was referring to dosage, as in daily cumulative amount, not individual pills.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options

Depends if its XR or not. I know a lot of people on it that were on 12.5mg. Also depends what the purpose of the medication is.

Thats hilarious, I'm not originally from here though, only the last year and a bit.

Ah yes, SR and XR are likely to be different. I only have experience with SR.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    quite the opposite.. made me wanna eat everything in sight and i gaines lots of weight
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here has been successfully losing weight while being on Seroquel? If so, please describe to me what you did to lose weight. I haven't started trying to lose weight yet, but I'm concerned that it will be even harder to do while on this medication...?
    Thanks!

Have you been taking it for long? If so, do you have the munchies on it? Usually the weight gain associated with antipsychotics is because you have trouble controlling yourself when it comes to food. I gained 90 lbs between abilify and saphris. Fortunately, I no longer need an antipsychotic as I'm stable right now.
  • cnote91
    Options
    I am on it and I have lost weight. but I also gain 4 pounds back then lose those 4 pounds and somemore
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i really struggled physically and emotionally when i took seroquel. it was a terrible choice for me for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that i gained fifteen pounds in three months on it. i have friends who have taken it and also experienced significant weight gain.

the biggest weight-related issue for me was probably that i sleep-ate while on seroquel... i would get out of bed in the middle of the night, go to the kitchen and consume large amounts of dry cereal, pretzels or cookies.. whatever i could get my hands on with minimal effort. the next morning, the kitchen would be a mess, with open, half-empty packages and crumbs everywhere, but i would have no memory of having gotten up or eaten anything.

i also typed 'papers' in my sleep (which were just a bunch of gibberish on the screen) and moved objects around the house. i have never before or since been a sleepwalker.

i digress. sorry to have gotten off-topic. straight answer to the original question: for me, seroquel was a weight nightmare, but for you (especially if you don't experience sleepwalking/eating) it may be different.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I already said this before but it made me gain nearly 100 pounds. My only walking quests were in search of food. Maybe you wont feel it with an small dose but at one point I was taking XR @450-600mg a day and I was binging like a fiend.
  • brih1212
    brih1212 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually have only gained 2 pounds since I started Seroquel XR 3 months ago (which I attribute to eating too many sweets), so I don't think it's going to make me gain weight. The weight gain I have experienced was actually associated with being on Zyprexa for a year and a half...whish is why I switched to Seroquel XR. Since I have not committed to exercising and eating a lot better yet, I feel Seroquel XR is just maintaining my weight at this point. But I hope to commit to a healthier lifestyle soon so I can try my best to lose this weight.
  • zombieface17
    Options
    I'm currently on seroquel (at 100mg, hoping to get down to 50mg). I'm on it for psychosis. I'm finding that it doesn't make me hungry, but I can't lose any weight on it. I'm 5'6 and at 140 lbs. I'm hoping to lose 15 lbs. Apparently it slows down your metabolism, so that would make weight loss difficult.
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for 5 years for sleep disorder. It gives me the munchies. If I give in to the munchies I don't loose weight (of course), but if I don't I don't have problems loosing weight. I take 250 mg before bedtime. Just be advised that it does make you want to eat after you take it.
  • Jacquiesteer
    Options
    My personal opinion is that medications do make it difficult to lose weight because they mess with your system - NOT saying that you should stop taking any medication that you are prescribed but maybe explore other options with your doctor or reduce your weight loss goals... Maybe aim for 1lb per month instead of per week....
  • Jacquiesteer
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually have only gained 2 pounds since I started Seroquel XR 3 months ago (which I attribute to eating too many sweets), so I don't think it's going to make me gain weight. The weight gain I have experienced was actually associated with being on Zyprexa for a year and a half...whish is why I switched to Seroquel XR. Since I have not committed to exercising and eating a lot better yet, I feel Seroquel XR is just maintaining my weight at this point. But I hope to commit to a healthier lifestyle soon so I can try my best to lose this weight.