calorie counting embarrasment

Options

Replies

• Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a lot of crap from a lot of guys.

They're still fat, I have a six pack.

I knew then that would be the case, and it's the case now.

They'd never admit it, but they realize what happened. :laugh:

So your friends want to have two of whatever, great, no judgement, hopefully they have a metabolism where they don't have to worry. You, you have objectives. You have goals and you're going after them. NO SHAME.

tumblr_m7f4lsEUbs1rziwwco1_400.gif
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Me! i hide this website from people. I am obsessed with counting and as soon as i eat something i need to log it, doesn't matter if i am in a restaurant or with friends. So embarrassing! especially since I don't need to lose weight, people are always like, OMG stop it!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Reading labels is always good for you. I am always checking calcium amounts on labels because I need
    to know that I am getting enough everyday. You can just say you are trying to make the healthiest choice.
  • ibadkitteh
    Options
    i would be happy hearing that this person is body conscious. I love to be surrounded by people who are eating healthy and it's not embarassing at all.
  • allenthegirl
    Options
    I get funny looks from people all the time when I stand in the middle of the supermarket comparing labels to every single item that goes into my shopping basket. It used to embarrass me but you get used to it and eventually you just know which items are best from memory.

I try not to do it around my great aunt though, she's not supportive of me losing weight at all and she gets really snarky. I have to do it stealthily around her...
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Nah, I'm proud of it. I'll just whip out my phone any time and obsess about how many calories are in something. I'm proud of it because I am doing something about it, and other people aren't. They can all kiss off if they don't like it.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get funny looks from people all the time when I stand in the middle of the supermarket comparing labels to every single item that goes into my shopping basket. It used to embarrass me but you get used to it and eventually you just know which items are best from memory.

This. ^^

However, if I'm out with friends or in a hurry for a snack, I'd probably just grap one that I think is decent because there won't be that much difference. I've found that obsessing on a daily number isn't healthy (and very nonconducive for a social life). If it's 50 or 60 more calories than I'd liked to have eaten, I'll just eat a little less or work out a little harder the next day. Of i'd eat 2/3 of it once I pick it up and see the label.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When you are massively under-eating every day then worrying about the few extra calories in different snacks is the last thing to worry about!
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel uncomfortable in social situations when it's just rude to stare at my phone when people are trying to talk to me, but in these situations I have usually researched menus, etc. and mapped out my calories (or I just workout extra hard the day after if I have no control over calories).

In other situations when people ask me about me counting calories and measuring everything I just launch into a long tirade about macros, daily calorie goals and muscle gain vs. body fat loss. They are sorry they even asked and they keep quiet the next time. Lol!!!
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I know this can be hard for some people...peer pressure is a horrible thing. Some of my friends and family said something similar to you like "oh just have them both" when I was comparing calories. You just have to explain to them that it is a big deal for you at the moment. I used to have someone eat my favourite BAD treats in front of me which was very discouraging and made me think if that was him really being supportive? I didn't think so. Listen people and what they really say - REAL friends will support you in every way.

Another wee tip is something which I do (although I do realise for some it is not possible) I pre-log my exercise and meals for the day and if there is anything left over (kcals, carb, protein and fat) I take a mental note (or use the app [just lost Android virginity]) and try to find something or memorise something close to that.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Whenever my coworkers make me feel bad about not having that extra cupcake while they're all chowing down, I just think to myself "Well, that's why they look the way they do and why I look the way I do" and that will usually nip the embarrassment or the craving in the bud.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I count everything.

Friends may still wonder why I do it but they understand once they think about it and see where I've come from.

The alternative is much more embarassing when you don't know how much you have eaten and can't be held accountable to yourself for intake.

You have to be proud that you have the willpower and dedication to count. It's not something that most people do!! :)
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a lot of crap from a lot of guys.

They're still fat, I have a six pack.

I knew then that would be the case, and it's the case now.

So your friends want to have two of whatever, great, no judgement, hopefully they have a metabolism where they don't have to worry. You, you have objectives. You have goals and you're going after them. NO SHAME.

tumblr_m7f4lsEUbs1rziwwco1_400.gif

Quoting for Misha Collins.
    ^^^ also this :)
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Giving someone else that much power over you is embarrassing to say the least.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    been there, now alot of my friends are more aware of the food they snarf ;)

they're shocked at the amount of sugar hidden in foods that they wouldn't expect and drinks, forget it!

I still don't enjoy buffets, by the time I'm up to speed, everyone's eaten :)

If I'm out and about in the evening and the foods not too complex, I'll type it up the morning, but if I think I can't keep track, I'll take photos :)

Many friends who've tried MFP have been surprised that they've hit their TDE before lunch time, and these are the people who say they don't eat much :)

Keep it up I say

ps
    I've been experimenting by over eating almost 1000kcals a day to measure a lb of fat (e.g. 3500 kcals)!
    3 weeks later.... er.... nope! Very interesting!!!!
    But most of my grub is meat n 2 Veg ;)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I count everything too... in fact I first became aware of this site when I was watching a friend looking through the DB for options when a bunch of us were out for dinner.

I am not doing this for anyone else's benefit, I am doing this for ME, so quite frankly I couldn't give a damn whether people like it, hate it, are interested in it or not. It's great when they are supportive, but I have encountered two "friends" who are not at all supportive, and in fact quite derogatory, so I just did my logging out of their sight. Job Done, no drama!

If it's an impromptu thing - try and look surreptitiously and not make a massive big deal about it. Perhaps pre-log your main meals and know how much you have to potentially play with for extras.
    If it's a planned meal out - then have a broad idea of what you want and then pre-log that, maybe.
    So this week - I KNEW I was going out for Tapas, I KNEW what I wanted to have, and just nonchalantly "looked" at the menu and ordered and allowed for a dessert and 2 glasses of wine.

If it's a case of not being rude and drawing more attention to it, then perhaps just make a mental note of what you had, and then sort it out later.

But if you are doing this for your benefit, then I see no reason to be embarrassed at all...
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nope I count everything. :)
    I don't really get embarrassed by it, what's more embarrassing is that I used to unknowingly eat almost 4,000 calories a day. On a normal day. Guh. o.x
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nope I count everything. :)
    I don't really get embarrassed by it, what's more embarrassing is that I used to unknowingly eat almost 4,000 calories a day. On a normal day. Guh. o.x
    +1^
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally understand your embarrassment! But kudos to you for being so focused on doing the right thing!
    I drove my own friend crazy at lunch one time when I spent like half an hour scanning the menu to find something that would fit in my goals :embarassed:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most of my friends,clients, coworkers who eat a meal with me wait for me to order first now and then order the same thing. I actually enjoy ordering food in a restaurant now that I have built the habits to automatically by pass old 1000-3000 calorie pre determined meals and order food that is wholesome and filling!

If people notice you are not diving into the bread basket or chip basket, they stop diving in generally.

People notice when you loose 20,30,50% of your weight. And they want to be healthy too.

At the same time, I don't pass comment or judgement on what other people are eating. Not my job. And I certainly don't tell other people's kids how to eat.

Leading by example is a easy once you get passed the first few times. Sometimes just keeping silent and living well is best.