No further weight loss after a couple of lbs

Options
Hi !

I hope some one here will give me a good guidance and will tell me what i am doing/expecting wrong.

Initially, a month back my weight was 282.6 lbs. I created an account here, and followed what I am eating. It allowed me to take about 2100 calories daily (initially) to drop 2 lbs a week. I took even less calorie to make a bigger deficit and also did some workout (walk / recumbent bike).

Soon, my weight started to drop and I was happy and in a month, it dropped 6.5 lbs and now I am about 275 lbs (still a very looooooong way to go). Now, I am noticing that my weight remained here for the last 10 days and not dropping.

I am sure i m doing something wrong and thats is why I want to get some help here. I, earlier thought that the more is the calorie deficit - more weight will be dropped, but it seems I am wrong.

Another point is that, a website have a Daily Carb Requirement graph, see it here:

http://www.eatlivegrowpaleo.com/2012/08/cook-ahead-no-deprivation-weight-loss.html

It states that to weight loss, daily carb should be in between 50-100 grams per day. Anything above that will not give positive results for weight loss. But here, at MyFitnessPal, the daily carb grams suggested for me is >200 grams.

Not sure if that is the main cause ? Or what ?

Here are some basic information about me:

==================================
Current Weight - 125 Kgs, (275 Lbs)
Height: 5 feet 9 inches
Any medical problem: YES - I am DIABETIC
==================================

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary

plus that website is a paleo website, so they will reccommend low carb!
  • zeeshanhashmi
    zeeshanhashmi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do not understand what you mean by "open your diary". I already have it and keep updating it regularly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I do not understand what you mean by "open your diary". I already have it and keep updating it regularly.

under settings, you can make your diary 'open' so that other people can see what you are logging. that way people can help with your questions more easily. otherwise its just guess work as to what you are eating and what exercise you're doing.
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    if u r in calorie deficit n not losing weight for more than a week then checkout ur salt intake..........
  • martintanz
    Options
    Without opening your diary, hard to know for sure. A couple of possibilities.

1. You are eating more than you think you are.
    2. You are eating too much salt, and retaining water.
    3. Your MFP settings are off, and you are less active/more sedentary than you think you are.

Focus on more carefully measuring your portions so you stay within the calorie guidelines.
    Watch your intake of processed foods and salt intake. That should help with water retention. And drink lots and lots of water.
    Play with calorie intake. Maybe you need to eat a bit more, or maybe a bit less to sustain weight loss.

Finally, remember that weight loss is not linear. Keep at it for a couple of months before jumping to conclusions.

Edit:
    Full disclosure. I started at 287, 3, 4 weeks in, though I was noticing positive changes, my weight loss was pretty modest. It wasn't until week 5 or 6 before I started to see a decent amount of weight come off. Everybody is different.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MFP settings do not give the correct calorie requirement figures sometimes. Here is a link to information on how to obtain your Basal Metabolic Rate (the amount of calories your body needs, even if in a coma) and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE - the amount of calories that your body needs to maintain your current body weight based on your activity)

The site then gives details of how to work out the figure you should eat for a healthy weight loss, which will be inbetween these two figure.

The link to the page is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck with your journey
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Over 200 grams of carbs for a diabetic is too much regardless of your weight loss goals. Cut that by at least a third. Personally, I would recommend half that much. Under your "home" tab, click on "goals", then "change goals", then select "custom". You can then alter your diary settings. I would recommend that you set your macro goals to 20% carbs, 25% protein and 55% fat. That will help you greatly in keeping your blood glucose levels under better control and you should lose weight provided your calorie goal is appropriate for weight loss.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    Over 200 grams of carbs for a diabetic is too much regardless of your weight loss goals. Cut that by at least a third. Personally, I would recommend half that much. Under your "home" tab, click on "goals", then "change goals", then select "custom". You can then alter your diary settings. I would recommend that you set your macro goals to 20% carbs, 25% protein and 55% fat. That will help you greatly in keeping your blood glucose levels under better control and you should lose weight provided your calorie goal is appropriate for weight loss.

Just wondering, and I know nothing being a diabetic, but perhaps you could give some evidence that shows OP that those changes to macros are the right thing for her condition. Low carbs, such high fat ad especially low protein sounds a bit suspect to me without medical backup. I am not criticising you here, we just need to be careful we don't give strict directions in actual numbers that may work for us but not necessarily for others.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Completely agree with this ^^^^
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and have to eat like a diabetic. I notice my weight loss slows/stalls if I'm not careful with my carbs.

I have my macros set to 35% carbs for wiggle room, but I normally stay within 20-25%. I've noticed that if I eat much more than 100-125 carbs in a day, I slow/stall.

These instructions came from my doctor. Additionally, he mentioned that those with insulin issues will sometimes have a harder time losing weight, even though we're doing everything right. He told me not to get discouraged that I'm not losing 6-8 pounds per month like most people. Sometimes I only lose 1-2, and that's okay.

Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks I lose a pound, some weeks I don't lose any, and some weeks I lose three pounds. I tend to go in whooshes instead of a straight, downward slope. Some of this is due to insulin resistance, and some of it is due to water weight gain around my period (which stalls me out for two weeks since I gain 6-7 pounds the week before and then spend the next week dropping it). If your sodium is too high, you might run into a similar issue. Whenever my sodium is above 2000, I try to flush with water.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Just wondering, and I know nothing being a diabetic, but perhaps you could give some evidence that shows OP that those changes to macros are the right thing for her condition. Low carbs, such high fat ad especially low protein sounds a bit suspect to me without medical backup. I am not criticising you here, we just need to be careful we don't give strict directions in actual numbers that may work for us but not necessarily for others.

http://douglassreport.com/2012/06/08/low-carb-diet-shown-to-control-blood-sugar-in-diabetics/

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/9856/20120512/diabetes-fat-carbohydrates-diet-insulin.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/news/a/adalowcarbdiabe.htm

I'm actually being extremely moderate in recommending 20% carb macro. The actual amounts of those macros for a 2100 calorie diet are 105g carbs, 131g protein (far from low) and 128g fat.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that those fats are "good" fats, like nuts, avocado, and lean meats. She wasn't suggesting they eat 100 grams of french fries. ;)
  • sandradev1
    Options

http://douglassreport.com/2012/06/08/low-carb-diet-shown-to-control-blood-sugar-in-diabetics/

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/9856/20120512/diabetes-fat-carbohydrates-diet-insulin.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/news/a/adalowcarbdiabe.htm

I'm actually being extremely moderate in recommending 20% carb macro. The actual amounts of those macros for a 2100 calorie diet are 105g carbs, 131g protein (far from low) and 128g fat.

That's brilliant. As I said I have no knowledge of diabetes and just thought it would be helpful for people to know that you weren't just quoting numbers that worked for you, but that could have been harmful to someone else. It is great to see people who have constructive information to pass on. We are all aware of posts that just offer advice based on their own preferences without any backup information.

:smile:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are an issue for diabetics.

However, your issue is the sheer number of calories you dropped so suddenly.

You dropped your intake severely and suddenly. You shocked your body. You should be going for 1.5 to 2.0 TOPS, not 2.0+

It would be good for you to get your BMR and TDEE numbers. From there, eat somewhere in between there and incorporate heavy weight lifting.

As for diet, going lower carb than the average joe is a good idea since you are diabetic... but that also depends on the type of diabetes and the tools you have available.
  • dramir47
    Options
    had a friend who had the same problem. My friend who was a fitness trainer told him he reached a plateu. All he had to do was increase cardio. He used to do 30 mins. of cardio 4 times a week and changed it to 40 mins 4 times a week. By doing this, he manged to lose more body fat. Maybe you should try this.
  • zeeshanhashmi
    zeeshanhashmi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you - you all are very good and posted a very great tips and information.

I agree that a little bit of more cardio + low carb intake will do the magic, and i will keep posting here.

I just note that the first 3 KGs that I dropped, those days, I was taking too few (less than 100) grams of Carbs daily. So, I need to follow that routine once again and let see how it goes.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What type of diabetic are you, Type 1 or Type 2? If a Type 2 like me, try taking what I take: L-Arginine, L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Chromium and Cinnamon everyday. Also, start consuming Psyllium one to three times a day and two tablespoons of ground Flaxseed to increase your soluble fiber intake. You'll reduce your blood sugar, your blood pressure, and your LDL Cholesterol while jump-starting your metabolism of fat and lipoproteins. The weight should start coming off very quickly within two weeks or so. But inform your doctor if you're taking any medications before adding these supplements to your daily diet.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What type of diabetic are you, Type 1 or Type 2? If a Type 2 like me, try taking what I take: L-Arginine, L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Chromium and Cinnamon everyday. Also, start consuming Psyllium one to three times a day and two tablespoons of ground Flaxseed to increase your soluble fiber intake. You'll reduce your blood sugar, your blood pressure, and your LDL Cholesterol while jump-starting your metabolism of fat and lipoproteins. The weight should start coming off very quickly within two weeks or so. But inform your doctor if you're taking any medications before adding these supplements to your daily diet.

If you're retaining fluids like I was, add parsley and/or dandelion to your diet as they are both powerful diuretics and are particularly great for normalizing your blood serum sodium ratio. Cheap, easy, and painless to implement by using as a garnish on all your proteins and in fresh salads.

I forgot to mention that I've read diabetics, those taking a diuretic for hypertension, and others are typically magnesium deficient. Magnesium plays a role in over 300 bio-molecular-level processes including metabolic processes. It can be a real challenge to meet the minimum recommended daily allowance of magnesium just through dietary intake. This is especially true if on a restrictive diet. You expel magnesium and potassium in your urine; the more you go, the more you lose. In conjunction with consuming parsley and dandelion, I take both a magnesium supplement and a potassium supplement everyday as well.