Starvation MODE MYTH BUSTED

Options

Replies

• dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Agree.....we have beat this dead horse over and over..........
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    People are so rude it blows my mind. This site is about people helping people. If they don't like what one person has so kindly taken a moment to share then they should move on!!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Did Mr. Gamboa take into account how much food you eat at a time and the type of protein in his "3 to 4 hour" comment?

This issue will never be settled on here, partly because people aren't even in agreement about the definition of "starvation mode."

TiaMcDonald>> Nobody is being rude, we're just debating ideas. That's how knowledge is gained.
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My day is complete, lol I got to read another post about starvation mode and how if we don't eat enough calories (because nutrition doesn't matter just calories) we are all going to turn into gumby and all be skinny fat, LOL (no one has ever posted a picture of a skinny fat person I keep asking)

To the OP, so as long as I eat nothing but protein every 3-4 hours I can avoid starvation mode AND stay on a low cal diet?
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Discussion is one thing. Saying that he "doesn't even look like a personal trainer" is rude. As well as other comments. The dietician at my old job certainly didn't look like she knew about healthy eating... but she is a smart & beautiful person and I would never judge her knowledge based on her appearance.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My daughter lost 100 pounds just eating tuna fish and pickles. It took her about 6 months after she had a baby. I don't know how she did it but she did. I would imagine she ate about 500 calories a day with a few cheat days here and there. She worked out the whole time so didn't lose any muscle. She looks terrific. I wish I had her willpower but she did it and that is the truth. So I don't believe in the starvation mode. Plus look at the people on Survivor, they keep losing weight. And also there are the people on doctors weight loss diets such as Medifast (That MFP advertises) and on that diet you eat only around 700 calories. My friends daughter lost all kinds of weight on Medifast. I think the body will go into starvation mode if you starve it for days at a time but eating a small amount of calories won't do it. And then there are the people with gastric bypass surgery who lose too and they eat hardly nothing. Sorry, starvation mode just doesn't make sense to me. Especially what I witnessed what my daughter. In my opinion, the less you eat the better. Taking vitamins is key to staying healthy and when you do eat make sure it's not junk food. I am aware the body needs nutrition. Good luck everybody!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Discussion is one thing. Saying that he "doesn't even look like a personal trainer" is rude. As well as other comments. The dietician at my old job certainly didn't look like she knew about healthy eating... but she is a smart & beautiful person and I would never judge her knowledge based on her appearance.

Hmmm... I guess I was just ignoring the rude stuff.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Brunner - that would be the smart thing to do.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Instead of all us laymen debating this topic, just googler starvation mode. You will find numerous controlled real world studies showing no difference between eating 5 - 300 calorie meals a day vs. 1 - 1500 calorie meal as well as that there is no measurable difference in ones ability to break down fat until body fat percentages get really low. All of the evidence showing otherwise is theoretical. Gaining lean muscle mass is an entirely different conversation.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Have you seen his other posts in other threads???
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    LMAO%20laughing%20my%20ass%20off%20black%20white.jpg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How does the OP prove anything? What about hormonal adaptations from long term VLCD? What about down regulation of metabolic function? None of that is addressed.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I once "personally trained" a dude
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    by the way OP you dont look like a personal trainer.
    Never knew you had to look a certain way to get an education. Maybe you should read my profile before judging. My certification is on there too btw. Some people are so narrow minded. Do I look like I have an IQ of 199, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, a brown belt in Shotokan Karate, I used to play baseball, football, and basketball? Probably not, but hey, I guess we all have to look the part don't we. SMDH

:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The title says 'myth busted' - all I see is a blog about protein synthesis. How is this dispelling any myth or proving it for that matter?

ETA: I am not disagreeing that this happens, I am just unsure of what this proves.
    Lol, yes I titled it wrong. But, look at the last paragraph. It says that when your body isn't getting a constant flow of protein every 3-4 hours it draws protein from other organs, thus in turn taking it away from muscle tissue in order to feed more protein to the vital organs which need protein more than muscle tissue.

Where is the 3 - 4 hour time period from? Can you find a source for that?
    Ugh, it's too late for this, but I'm here to help so, You can find the source in most books on bodybuilding and such, but a simple answer to save you time, is because protein synthesis starts 3 hours after ingesting it, therfore 3-4 hours between protein intake is optimal since your body begins breaking it down for use.

Protein synthesis happens for a lot longer than 3 - 4 hours after ingestion. In fact it increases after 4 hours up to a period of about 24 hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Agree.....we have beat this dead horse over and over..........

LOL AT THIS..i am going to post a topic - breakfast is the most unhealthy meal just to see what kind of response I get that one will be freaking hilarious...
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    3p6o5u.jpg
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    batmanlol.jpg
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Eric, good morning I hope you are well and enjoying your Friday. With regard to your question, our bodies operate off a feedback system and part of that is a negative feedback system. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories to function. For example in the average 150 pound person the liver needs 650 calories per day, brain 380, heart 270, lungs 160, etc. The first area which will be depleted are our 200 to 400 grams of stored muscle glycogen roughly 800 to 1,600 calories. Then our bodies can turn to catabolizing muscle in the form of BCAAs which can be metabolized in the alanine cycle into a metabolite that can be used like glycogen. Then our bodies can turn to intramuscular fat stored as free fatty acids. Finally our bodies can turn to their safeguard back up adipose tissue. If a person was 200 pounds and 40% body fat they would have 80 pounds of fat or approximately 280,000 calories of stored energy.

The danger in not eating is that you jeopardize losing weight in water stored with lost glycogen and muscle. So if this 200 pound person at 40% body fat lost 20 pounds and dropped to 180 pounds but still had 80 pounds of fat, now rather than being 40% body fat the person would be 180 pounds at 50% body fat. Then they person gives up and gradually gets back to 200 pounds and a bit more 205. The weight gain will be water and fat not muscle so now they could add back 15 pounds of fat so now they could be 205 pounds with 95 pounds of fat.

As you can see not a good cycle that occurs when attempting to not eat.

We hope this helps to clarify the matter.