Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    It is a simple movement but it works so many muscles, when you use challenging weight (not kill yourself heavy for a beginner)
    It works your quads, hams, glutes and back.

I started with 52lbs conservatively and am now at 132 and moving up.

Also, I have suffered with low back pain for years. I was on pain killers and everything but since I started lifting I haven't needed to take pain medication.

Deadlifts are fantastic do them :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Thanks for the unsolicited advice! >.<

Well I didn't want the OP of this thread to see that and assume it was the best idea to do some deadlifts and then walk out of the gym. not saying it's not fine on occasions, but most people are going to need some additional work, depending on their goals.

Do what ya want, but I would personally be striving to be better conditioned.......
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump.

I'm there with you, I want to learn to deadlift too.
  • mominwi419
    Options

Well I didn't want the OP of this thread to see that and assume it was the best idea to do some deadlifts and then walk out of the gym. not saying it's not fine on occasions, but most people are going to need some additional work, depending on their goals.

Do what ya want, but I would personally be striving to be better conditioned.......

I don't just do some deadlifts and walk out of the gym. I said deadlifts were the only lifts I do on that day. Doesn't mean I don't do cardio. Generally an hour.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Please be careful when going heavy. Ensure your technique is flawless. Consult a gym trainer if necessary.
    I went too heavy one day and messed up my back. Over a year later and I'm still in physical therapy for it. It's not fun.
    Very effective and a great workout. I specifically liked doing it with a shrug bar but you have to be careful.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I don't just do some deadlifts and walk out of the gym. I said deadlifts were the only lifts I do on that day. Doesn't mean I don't do cardio. Generally an hour.

My mistake. Didn't consider that you might be mixing cardio/strength training on the same days.
    Just caught me off guard, and like I said I wouldn't reccommend that to the OP. I wasn't trying to give unsolicited advice, I was concerned with helping.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Please be careful when going heavy. Ensure your technique is flawless. Consult a gym trainer if necessary.
    I went too heavy one day and messed up my back. Over a year later and I'm still in physical therapy for it. It's not fun.
    Very effective and a great workout. I specifically liked doing it with a shrug bar but you have to be careful.

agreed. form needs to be the priority.

herniate a disk?
  • mominwi419
    Options

This is what works best for ME. I have two ruptured discs in my back that WILL flare up if I lump too much lifting together.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I got a pair of herniated disks too, L4-L5, and L5-S1. The more I lift, the less pain I have.

I do have a question on deadlifts though, as I am new to this specific lift. I am currently lifting 315, and while it feels fine, i get a VERY small bend to my lower back when initiating the lift. I am not jerking at all, I get set, tighten my core, make sure my arms are fully extended, and start with the legs, but initially, my lower back curves ever so slightly. Is there a way to correct this? I am against wearing a weight belt.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It's very simple,but extremely effective.

If you are finding it 'easy' then yeah, it's time to put more weight on the bar.

There are probably 10000 articles on the internet about how to deadlift, this is a pretty good video if I remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

Thanks for the link. I was wondering what proper form was for a deadlift.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for my ignorance!

I'm getting into lifting, and am developing a proper routine.

EVERYONE seems to recommend and love deadlifts.

I can't work out why. It seems like a really simple movement. Am I just not lifting heavy enough weight? I worry about looking a *kitten* in the weights area with all the men who watch me while they are bicep curling. So I want to do it properly. And I don't want to hurt myself from bad form from going too heavy.

Hit-up something like Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. His book walks through a simple exercise plan that incorporates Deadlifts and talks about form. Form is very important or you can **** your back up when you do get heavy but if you watch your form you'll be fine. StrongLifts 5x5 beginner program is good too.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^^ I got a pair of herniated disks too, L4-L5, and L5-S1. The more I lift, the less pain I have.

I do have a question on deadlifts though, as I am new to this specific lift. I am currently lifting 315, and while it feels fine, i get a VERY small bend to my lower back when initiating the lift. I am not jerking at all, I get set, tighten my core, make sure my arms are fully extended, and start with the legs, but initially, my lower back curves ever so slightly. Is there a way to correct this? I am against wearing a weight belt.

Why on earth would you be against wearing a belt?
    If you're lifting to get stronger, a belt will assist you.
    If you're competing, it's allowed in competition.
    If you're lifting to get bigger, lifting heavier weights, safely, will allow you the best muscle growth.

Belts are great, and help stabilize your core/back, which is what your issue appears to be.
    Build up your low back with back extensions, good mornings, reverse hypers (probably not available), etc.

Work on form before moving up in weight
  • JNick77
    Options

If you're lifting to get bigger, lifting heavier weights, safely, will allow you the best muscle growth.

Belts are great, and help stabilize your core/back, which is what your issue appears to be.
    Build up your low back with back extensions, good mornings, reverse hypers (probably not available), etc.

Yup
    Yup
    Yup
    Yup
    Yup

Not much else to say here. If you're serious about lifting heavier, use a belt your back will thank you. I'm partial to Inzer's Lever Belt. I honestly don't feel like it makes me stronger but I worry less about hurting myself so my "head" is better focused on doing the lift properly.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    bump for the videos
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

All of this.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options

Yup
    Yup
    Yup
    Yup
    Yup

Not much else to say here. If you're serious about lifting heavier, use a belt your back will thank you. I'm partial to Inzer's Lever Belt. I honestly don't feel like it makes me stronger but I worry less about hurting myself so my "head" is better focused on doing the lift properly.

I typically don't like to use a belt until I get to the very heaviest weights I do. The belt assist a bit in your core not forcing you to exert as much force through your core. It is necessary for safety once you get into weights that you can do 5 or less of. Otherwise I don't like to use one so I can build my core strength even more on the lift. Is this the way you guys see it as well?
  • JNick77
    Options

Yup
    Yup
    Yup
    Yup
    Yup

I typically don't like to use a belt until I get to the very heaviest weights I do. The belt assist a bit in your core not forcing you to exert as much force through your core. It is necessary for safety once you get into weights that you can do 5 or less of. Otherwise I don't like to use one so I can build my core strength even more on the lift. Is this the way you guys see it as well?

Yup, basically. I don't use my belt until the last set or two. I'm doing the Bill Starr 5x5 intermediate so I typically wear the belt on my last two sets. When I was doing WS I would wear it around 80% of my 1RM.
  • beckydragonpoet
    beckydragonpoet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I can see what you're getting at. But if your back is starting to round, then you're at those "heaviest weights" and need to start thinking about belting up or adjusting your form.
    I do my lighter sets of squats and deads without a belt, but after 75% or so, the belt stays on.

The belt is actually making you push out hard with your abs to stabilize your body, so I wouldn't say it's cheating you out of core work. Guys who squat 800 pounds with a belt don't have weak abs, and I'd argue that handling heavier weights in the squat = stronger abs in the long run. Either way, that's what assistance work is for. If your abs are holding you back, hit them hard.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Work on your mobility/flexibility..In particular focus on ankle, hip, and thoracic spine mobility..In the mean time you can shorten the ROM by doing rack DL or lifting off blocks until you can work your way back down to the floor and pull with out flexing your lumbar spine.