Give Me Avacado!

Options
So I have a new obsession with avacado... I have been putting it on everything - sandwiches, salads, burgers, wraps, salsa. Anyone have any favorite recipes that call for it?

Replies

• erinlindsay
    Options
    GUACAMOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my fav :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    GUACAMOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my fav :)

Yep it's all about the guac. Grill up the limes for a minute before squeezing them in. mmmm.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    When I lived in Mexico, my family would make me "Mexican sandwiches" since they think Americans can't live without sandwiches hehe. Bread with avocado on both slices, tomato slices, and a slice of cheese. Nothing fancy, but so delicious :)
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I love love love guacamole!!! I've been adding avacado to everything I can too, salads, burritos etc. Isn't it like one of the best "finds" on your weight loss journey???

Interested in some recipes too!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I love to eat avocado with cottage cheese and greek yogurt...one of my favorite snacks. Sometimes I cut up tomato in it too.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    My wife has recently become an avocado fiend. It's my fault. Somehow, I decided I liked guacamole after years of not liking it. Now she likes it... and puts avocado on everything. lol
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I eat it in everything too. They have been super cheap at the grocery store lately so I've been eating a half every day lately :love: Last week I made cheese omelets for breakfast and topped them with avocado and salsa. They were so good.....now I want another :laugh:
  • msladyface
    Options
    Haha! It's great to know I'm not the only crazy avacado lady out there! I was craving it so bad the other day and didn't have all of the ingredients for my guac so I just chopped some up and mixed it with jarred salsa...YUMMY! I'm thinking I'm going to add some to my tuna wrap today.
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat!! The obsession just hit me a month ago! But my fav recipe is chopped avocado along side black beans and salsa! like a little side salad/salsa.....don't really know what to call it. But the flavors are so great together!
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    I put it in/on alot of stuff! Avacado on lettuce with salsa is GREAT as a salad. I also used to eat toast with avacado slices and lemon juice... Try Fresh Spinach, green onion, tomato, avacado, cucumber topped with warm cooked quinoa and some lemon juice and goat cheese - the cheese and avacado spread around to make a wonderful "dressing"! I am also one of those people who will eat a half an avacado with lunch or dinner! YUMMY!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Y'all are going to think I'm weird. I honestly don't like avacado when it's mixed with stuff...I like it plain or with a sprinkle of salt. I find that the purer it is the more I can taste it properly (if that makes any since).
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Growing up I always had a snack with avacado, some salt and eaten with bread, or with my dinner.
    Now it's a slice on it's own on the side with my dinner or salad or sandwich.

My question, anybody know how to prevent it from turning brown?
    If I cut and use half, then when I go to use the other half, I just scrape off the brown outer coating, and eat the rest.
    Anybody do something different?
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Try it on an egg mcmuffin! MMMM
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Growing up I always had a snack with avacado, some salt and eaten with bread, or with my dinner.

If I cut and use half, then when I go to use the other half, I just scrape off the brown outer coating, and eat the rest.

Lime juice rubbed on it helps...usually I do what you do though...just scrape off the brown, lol.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I :heart: avocado.

I avoided them for years because they were high in fat, but that eating "style" did nothing to help my weight, so I quit that and now I enjoy the heck out of them. :laugh:

I agree with the pp that said cheese omelette... some avocado and fresh tomato... mmmm!

I made a kind of "salad" the other day with a little left over wheat couscous, feta, black olives and avocado (a little olive oil and red wine vinegar as dressing). So good, but DH gave me weird looks. :huh: :laugh:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

Lime juice rubbed on it helps...usually I do what you do though...just scrape off the brown, lol.

I've tried lime juice and also someone told me that leaving the pit in with it helps... but it still turns brown overnight. So yeah I just scrape it off. :smile:
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try it on an egg mcmuffin! MMMM

Yes, I kinda do this - i do a piece of toast with smashed avocado spread on it and top with an "egg" (egg-beater:smile: ) and a slice of tomato.

My favorite (besides guac of course) is this sandwich:

smashed avocado
    ff mayo with (lots of) dill sprinkled on it
    ham
    little bid of ff cheddar cheese
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I love avocados!!! :heart: http://missavacado.com/ :heart:
  • msladyface
    Options
    Ok so if there is anyone who lives in the Orlando area - go to Hana Sushi! It's one of our favorite sushi places in the area (Altamonte) My fiance and I went out for sushi and decided to splurge a little on this appetizer that I couldn't resist! It's called the Hana Bomb. :love: It's an avocado half with tuna and spicy mayo in the little hole and lightly fried....omg so indulgent, but soooo DELICOUS! They served it with a sweet soy dip...I can't get over it! :laugh:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

I've tried lime juice and also someone told me that leaving the pit in with it helps... but it still turns brown overnight. So yeah I just scrape it off. :smile:
    Yes leaving it in the pit will help, also the lemon or lime juice. I just also learned that if you wrap it tightly in plastic wrap it keeps it longer. I was just putting in a ziplock or tupperware and have found the tight wrap to work better.