P90X - Hot Foot (Plyometrics)

Options
Any modified versions of the Hot Foot move in P90X's Plyometrics routine?

I know I should probably hit up Beachbody but I hate that site and still haven't figured out how to use it. :P

Anyway, I absolutely cannot do this move (I have weak ankles and they keep twisting when I try - doesn't matter how I land, I just cannot do a move like this). I AM going to twist and break my ankle if I keep trying so I'm looking for some kind of modification (they don't give you a modification on the DVD).

Any ideas?

Replies

• FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    are your shoes too spongy? or are you barefoot? I would go barefoot
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Well, I wear running shoes. Like, proper, cost me over $150 running shoes. >.< I just have bad ankles. I frequently twist them while running, walking and even sitting. :P
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Modify...use both feet, like a bunny.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Well, I wear running shoes. Like, proper, cost me over $150 running shoes. >.< I just have bad ankles. I frequently twist them while running, walking and even sitting. :P

Running shoes are designed to support your feet in one basic plane of motion. Anything that requires side to side force, changing directions quickly, etc. you shouldn't use running shoes for. Use something like a basketball or tennis shoe. They're designed to accomodate sheer forces on your feet.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would say try skipping the forward back side to side movement for a while and try just up and down. If that's too much use both feet, again staying in one place rather than moving around.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Use both feet and make sure you have some cross trainers, basketball or tennis shoes to help with the side to side movements as jimmmer mentioned.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I know I should probably hit up Beachbody but I hate that site and still haven't figured out how to use it. :P

Anyway, I absolutely cannot do this move (I have weak ankles and they keep twisting when I try - doesn't matter how I land, I just cannot do a move like this). I AM going to twist and break my ankle if I keep trying so I'm looking for some kind of modification (they don't give you a modification on the DVD).

Any ideas?

Isn't that the one with the guy with one leg?? I'm sure that he does a skipping move instead for the second leg...which would be a modification. I can't quite remember though, but I know at some point that one legged guy does a skipping move. Lol.
  • Callalili
    Callalili Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would either do the move that the guy with one leg does or hop on both feet. I switch every 15 sec instead of 30.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good points on running shoes not being the best equipment.

Mod the move. Use both feet as suggested or do another jump that you can handle. Remember plyo training in general isn't about hitting x number of reps. It's about getting good explosive reps. It's okay to slow down. P90X is still challenging after day 90 :)
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I can't do hot foot neither and use both feet and make jump in the same "cross" motion... no breaks... 1 minute full-out :)
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

(they don't give you a modification on the DVD).

Any ideas?

Isn't that the one with the guy with one leg?? I'm sure that he does a skipping move instead for the second leg...which would be a modification. I can't quite remember though, but I know at some point that one legged guy does a skipping move. Lol.

^This.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Running shoes are designed to support your feet in one basic plane of motion. Anything that requires side to side force, changing directions quickly, etc. you shouldn't use running shoes for. Use something like a basketball or tennis shoe. They're designed to accomodate sheer forces on your feet.

Can't afford it! It's these running shoes or barefoot and barefoot ain't happening. :P But thanks for the tip!
  • penrbrown
    Options

Any ideas?

Oh wow. I never even noticed the guy with one leg. *blush* I tend to focus on Tony. It's that cute accent. :P
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Any ideas?

Yep. They say somewhere at the start of that one to modify it by skipping...It works better for me - have ankle and knee issues, so the hotfoot kills me...Either skip of jump on both feet....
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can just do the fake jump rope thing.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Yep. They say somewhere at the start of that one to modify it by skipping...It works better for me - have ankle and knee issues, so the hotfoot kills me...Either skip of jump on both feet....

Are you serious? Sheesh. I was more worn out then I thought! I honestly didn't hear any modification suggestion on the DVD. >.<
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    LOL...I heard it the first time when I was sitting on the couch watching the thing to see what it looks like....Glass wine in hand.... Have to admit I did not hear that while actually doing it - was too busy trying to breathe!:bigsmile:
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, you modify by acting like you are jumping rope. They mention it in the video. It's basically where you can hop with like 75% of your weight on one foot, and 25% on the other for support and balance.