Half marathon training advice anyone?

Options
I'm a fairly new runner. Have only been running consistently for 4 months now but am training for a half marathon at the end of February. I've ran 13 miles before and know that I can do it but consistently run 4-8 miles at a time (25-35miles/week). I am only looking to finish and am not in it to race...yet! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for a first timer in regards to training/recovery, nutrition, etc.?

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would say google training plans. I haven't done any 1/2s, the only race I've ever run was a full, but a good training plan is a good training plan regardless of the distance. Even though you're not in it to race it would be beneficial to you as a runner to find a plan to follow and to start experimenting with the different types of runs - ie speedwork, hills, and long and slow.

Nutrition wise - eat good food. You will notice a difference if you eat crap the night before a long run (at least I did) vs something that's healthy.

And, most importantly, listen to your body. If you need to take a rest day on a day when you're scheduled to run, take a rest day.

If you've already run the full 13 then you may not much muscle soreness the next day, but either way get out and try to do something to get the blood pumping the next day, even if you're incredibly sore. It will help get blood to your muscles and speed recovery.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When i trained for my half marathon a couple of years ago I used a training program I found on runnersworld.com. You can customize them so they work for your schedule and your starting point- and the amount of time you have to train. It worked really well. It would have worked better had I not had to take a month break from running because of a stress fracture in my shin, but I still managed to do the half marathon. I'm thinking about doing another half next year and I'll use runnersworld.com again to set up my training plan.

Good luck!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have never run 13 miles and I'm thinking of running a half for the first time in March. I am following Hal Higdon's Novice1 training but my hip is sore I think from the weight training yesterday and then running. B/C Thursdays are running + strength. Someone told me he didn't mean for me to be doing squats and lunges...but the training I am doing is "Training for Runners" so I thought it would be okay. The other thing I don't really understand is on Thursdays its' X+ miles....what am I supposed to do? So yesterday was 4.5+ so I ran 5 miles...but was I actually supposed to run more than 4.5 but less than 5? IDK...I'm new to training to run. I've never trained to run.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find a good training plan also... but find one that has you running 13 miles at least twice (or more). In my own personal experience, I've trained with the plans that only take you up to 10 miles and that just leaves me wasted at the end and then I feel like crap. I ran a few other half marathons having run 13+ miles at least twice during training and felt like a friggin rock star at the end. Good luck with your training. I hope this helped a little.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon and marathon rookie have great training programs for half marathons. There are also iPhone apps available, too. good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the Hal Higdon schedules. I used the Novice 2 plan last year to train for my first two half marathons. Look in detail at the explanations if you don't understand a term. . .like long run, tempo, easy run, etc. I found all the info I needed from Hal's website.

Nutritionally, eat well. Don't eat a lot of crap food. . .especially as you get closer to race time. Drink plenty of water, regularly, but be sure to really hydrate well for several days in advance of your race.

Make sure you try out all the gear you plan to run in on race day. Don't wear a new shirt/bra/shoes on race day. Things may chaffe or cause blisters that won't be pleasant. And, I've learned that wearing the tech shirt given away in the race packet for the event you're participating in is kind of a faux pas in running circles. So, don't grab the shirt outta of your swag bag to run the race in. LOL

Have fun. If you've been able to complete 13 before, you'll have no problem finishing. You may find yourself getting a bit competitive. I don't try to win anything when I run halfs, but I DO try to place well for my sex/age group. I like to be in the top 10% if I can make it happen. That's my way of "competing" during a race. That, and chasing a new PR at each race is definitely motivating for me.

Good Luck!
  • captfast
    Options
    "Start slow and back off from there."

This advice comes the running philosopher, George Sheehan (Running and Being).

It works.

If your fresh, use the last mile and see how many people you can pass, stealing their energy as you go by.

Capt Fast
  • ssumbrella
    ssumbrella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just ran the Runner's World Half in October and, like you, I wanted to finish and feel good afterwards. You have already some good advice posted here about looking up training plans.
    It looks like you're putting in enough mileage per week. Pick one day a week for your long runs. Long runs should be at an easy pace, just to build up endurance. Plan to run about twice as long (timewise or distance-wise) on your long day. Also, for a few weeks prior to your race, you'll want to taper off your training to allow your body to get ready for the big day. You can Google "taper", although most training plans just build that reduction in training at the end into the plan.
    Nutrition: I regularly see a registered dietician and this was her advice. Eat your regular breakfast about two-three hours before the race. Hydrate before the race. Her advice to me (I'm 5'10" 200 pounds-ish) was to take in 36 to 48 ounces of water during the run. This next bit is key: take in 100 grams of carbs just prior to the start, and every hour you are on the course. This will keep you from "hitting the wall" during your race. You should do this in your regular training as well.
    How to do this? There are lots of different kinds of energy gel packs out there just for that. Experiment on your long runs with different ones until you find some you like. I use GU Lemon Sublime.
    My final piece of advice is your post-run recovery. In the hour after your runs, your body is primed to recover if you give it the right nutrition. Believe it or not, and again this is from a registered dietician, chocolate milk has the optimal ratio of carbs to protein to aid recovery. You will notice that you are much less stiff and sore the day after tough workouts if you take this simple step regularly. I should say, in the interest of full-disclosure, that I use Muscle Milk instead of chocolate milk, as I have a problem with lactose. It is arguable that the Muscle Milk is better, as it is supposed to be more easily digested, but there is no doubt that it costs much, much more.
    In conclusion, my race day could not have gone better from an energy standpoint. And, I felt good at the end, afterwards, and the next day.
    I apologize for going on and on. In the event you'd like more info or clarification, my email is ssumbrella@yahoo.com
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do have a training schedule that was created from the "leader" of my running group. But I might have to check out the other suggested websites to see how they compare. It does have me running 13 once before the half but not twice.

I'm pretty nervous but excited all at the same time. The last time I ran 13 was on my own with a couple of running buddies...not a race. Just hope I can pace myself.

One silly question....what is PR? I know I should probably know it and will feel stupid once somebody tells me but can't seem to figure it out right now.
  • runningforlife68
    Options
    There are no silly questions :) PR is personal record some also use PB/ personal best. I ran my first half in Oct. I also think a person should train up to and beyond the 13 miles. Around mile 11 I really started to tire. I also increased carbs to 60%. I will race another half in May and I am lifting more weights than I did in the last race. It looks like you pretty well are there so just go and have fun. Having the crowd really helps.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the PR question OP and thank you runningforlife68 for answering...I've been wondering what that was. I was thinking personal but couldn't come up with record. :bigsmile:
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    race the way you train. dont try different race tactics and dont eat anything weird or new day of the race (like a new energy gel).
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the PR question OP and thank you runningforlife68 for answering...I've been wondering what that was. I was thinking personal but couldn't come up with record. :bigsmile:

I was coming up with personal too...but couldn't figure out the R!

Thanks runningforlife68! I guess this half will be my benchmark time :)
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

I was coming up with personal too...but couldn't figure out the R!

Thanks runningforlife68! I guess this half will be my benchmark time :)

That's the great thing about first races, always a PR by finishing.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    have fun with it! Biggest advice, the first one is tough but they are addictive. I've done 6 now and 2 marathons (started distance running in 2010).

Other big advice: invest in two must haves, a good running bra and body glide!