Teachers carry guns?

Options

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm all for having guns, arming ourselves, carrying, etc. However, guns and childrem do not mix well. So no. Teachers should not caryy. Too many little fingers get into things they shouldn't. That's just an accident waiting to happen. However, metal dectors and officers at schools are something I will even pay higher taxes to see.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You know why we trust cops with guns? Because they're TRAINED to use them. TRAINED to push through the panic that would unsteady a hand and send a shot flying off target. TRAINED to push through the fear and aim to kill instead of to merely wound a sociopath on the rampage.

They are trained, extensively. The average armed citizen is not. Guns + panic + lack of training = HIGHER BODY COUNT.

**** no, teachers should not be armed. No, no, in the name of all that is good on this planet, NO.

Anyone who thinks they can Rambo their way to safety simply because they've got a CC is dangerously misled.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    We should arm everyone. That way it's a fair, dog eat dog world. Each citizen for themselves. If you don't have the mental capacity to know right from wrong, it doesn't matter, sell them a gun. GUNS FOR ALL........ seems reasonable, right......
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You have one of the most horrific things happen - JUST HAPPEN.

Ugh.
  • whyntme
    Options
    Trojanbb that worked great in the wild west didnt it?
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No.

Apparently the shooter's MOTHER taught the class. His father was found dead in NJ. WHY the F he felt the need to gun down an entire classroom of innocent, beautiful children, I will never understand.

My sons' school is locked. You need to be buzzed in. There has to be strict school security. Maybe even metal detectors. This is the **** world we live in.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I personally do not carry a gun but have NO problem if other RESPONSIBLE people around me are... it is a matter of protection if you ask me... Hell I lve in jersey/pa, it is not such a good area anymore...
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes, after appropriate training and failsafe storage (but quickly accessible in an emergency, like a fire extinguisher).

"Gun-free zones" are killing fields for evil people.

And if you think there should be no gun available, explain exactly how you will accomplish this, in the real world.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Simply having a gun does not mean you can use it effectively under stress. It takes training and practice to fire a weapon effectively. This is training beyond shooting a paper target. Perpetrators do not stand there and let you shoot them. You need training to fire why moving and the ability to hit a moving target it is not easy! Additionally not everyone has the ability to pull the trigger and potentially take the life of another person. I work in law enforcement and have had to use my firearm to protect myself. I had years of training and mentally I was prepared to take a life if I have to, and still it was very difficult. The gun argument of more people carrying in ridiculous and comes up every time a tragedy happens. If you want a more protected society vote for representatives that want to spend money on additional law enforcement, better schools, and programs designed to help people be better parents.
  • mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I taught high school for years at an inner city school and my answer is NO. You never know when A) the teacher might snap or B) when one of the students might get hold of the gun (student of any age). It is just a bad idea.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I do not think teachers need to carry guns. I do not know the cirncumstances of the shooting but I would not want to work in a school with guns.

I am undeniably in shock about this. Sad for those young kiddos. I cannot even fathom how I would have reacted if I were with the kids I am with every day and something like that happened. I am sure it is more instinct than anything.

Prayers to all those who are affected by this!!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    WAKE UP!! LESS GUNS NOT MORE!

Yeah, so then only the criminals that don't care about laws anyway can get access to them....there's an idea.

Because that worked so well with drugs. Oh wait....no it didn't

Cause clearly this is the same thing. Oh wait.... no it isn't.

oh wait, yes it is.

Every argument against guns is contradicted by reason and evidence.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here in Texas, roughly 2% of the people have a Concealed Carry License (meaning they can conceal their gun on their person), and 36% of all Texas households own at least 1 gun.

It's not my place to answer that question on whether one should or shouldn't own a gun.

Given what transpired today, that debate should be postponed.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Just STFU.

When has a "chit chat" forum moved a fkn mountain? Halt the fkn political type debates for a fkn day.

Ugh.

srsly
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Teachers armed? Absolutely not.

Secure the schools? Absolutely YES! My daughters elementary school has ONE door you can open from the outside during school hours. The main office door. Put an armed guard in the office.

As for all the anti-gun nuts. Gun bans and more restrictions only hurt honest law-abiding citizens. Leave the citizens unarmed and helpless against criminals and whack-a-doos? Stupid.

You can't legislate away mental illness or evil.
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it is known that weapons are allowed in a building, it makes it a less likely target for things of this nature. If you happened to be a deranged person planning an attack like this, would you be more likely to target an area that is potentially defended or one you know is defenseless? Unless there is a personal vendetta, the person planning an attack will not go for the defended area. Not that being armed will completely erase the potential, but it decreases it. If an area is in fact attacked its occupants are armed, there is a greater potential for much less damage to be done to that area if the people are prepared to take the appropriate action. Officers in schools are great, but they are also the easiest to spot and target first effectively removing any defense.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No. However, each school having an Officer or 2 always present, would be good.

THIS! As a middle school teacher I don't know why every school doesn't have a Officer on staff.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    if we can train the teachers like they do the cops, then yes. unfortunately we live in a world now that is way out of control and we can't be protected 24 hours from law enforcement, and we need to learn to protect ourselves, any way we can...

so i'm not saying every teacher should have a gun, but some that are trained, yes.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just STFU.

When has a "chit chat" forum moved a fkn mountain? Halt the fkn political type debates for a fkn day.

Ugh.

A-FKING-MEN!!!!!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It should be a personal choice.
This discussion has been closed.