I GOT A HAIR CUT

Options
Yes, this counts as a success story.

For most of my life, I've had long hair, it's ranged from down to my knees, to most of the way down my back. I got it cut short for Boot Camp, but then it was right back to long hair for me. And for most of my life, despite HATING the day to day hassle, hating how it looked, hating to take care of it, hating how it looked down, I was absolutely convinced that I loved having long hair.

Just as a side note, I do have that thick hair that most women would KILL FOR, except for one problem: It's super thick, AND super fine, so I have a whole lot of super wispy hair.

I found long hair incredibly sexy... On other people... male and female alike. Something about the way it moved and the way it fell, so I just assumed that since it was sexy on other people, it was sexy on me. Except that it didn't make me FEEL sexy. BUT my step dad never allowed me to have short hair as a child. When I asked why, the response was just a bit creepy. He told me that women with long hair were more attractive, and that I reminded him of an old girlfriend with it. Yeah.. entirely creeped me out, but even so, girls listen to their dad's view of beauty, after all, they are the man with the most influence at an early age. Then, I had a horribly abusive ex, who also wouldn't allow me to cut it. And several other relationships that have flat out told me that long hair was sexy, cutting it was a deal breaker, and that short hair was a turnoff. But despite ridiculously long luxurious hair that people loved to touch and run their hands through, and brush, and fix... I felt entirely unattractive under it. Except that I thought it was all just me.

WELL about a month ago, my fiance and I were at the gym, and out of the blue and to my own mortification, I commented on how annoying it was to have to readjust my hair depending on what machine I was using. And instead of the "Oh I love your hair" I got a "Would you like to get it cut, we have the money for that right now." ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING... and it took me another month to digest that.

Well, after I accepted it, we looked TOGETHER, and he pointed out some amazing short hair styles that he liked. And when I said I didn't, and I pointed out others, he really looked between me and the picture and said "yeah, that's nice"

SO, well, today was the big day. I got it cut, and it is AMAZING, I love how it feels, and I love running my hair through it. I love how it makes ME feel.

And as a side note, after loosing 60 ish pounds, I don't feel like I need the longer hair to frame my face and hide the fat. I have an ok face without that!

Replies

• Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    <3 this post!!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I just did the same thing. I had about 12inches (18 in some of the layers) cut off my hair yesterday. I feel like a new person. I honestly think it had taken me so long to do it was because I figured it didn't matter. No matter what I did I wasn't going to look good anyway. Boy was I wrong. This is definitely a mark in your success column. :flowerforyou:
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    Oh I hear you!!!! I have hair to my waist and it drives me insane constantly readjusting it at gym. I am to scared to cut it in case I totally regret it....and unfortunately my husband wouldn't be as supportive as your partner. Good on you and congrats on your loss as well :-)
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's so funny because I've always REFUSED to have mine short most of my adult life because my Grandmother wouldn't let me grow mine out when I was a kid because "fat girls shouldn't have long hair". Good for you for making the change you felt like making!
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Glad your happy with it!
    Post pics!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Looooove girls with short hair. Hate that I don't have a face that can rock it, though.

Pics, please!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!! :flowerforyou: I have short hair....but wish mine would grow back :sad:
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see before and after pictures.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    awwww what a sweet ending to the story!! i'm glad you feel safe and comfortable enough in your relationship to step outside of your comfort zone. that's when you know you have true love.

post a picture! i'm dying to see! :flowerforyou:
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! I've had mine both long and short. I prefer mine long. Enjoy! It WAS much easier to wash and dry short.
  • cjaneway
    Options
    You know I never understood why men think they get to control how their womans hair is, we as women don't get to control when they go bald!!! LOL
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    He's a keeper!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    121214_0007_zpsb4104cf6.jpg
    121214_0006_zpsfabced2c.jpg

OMG and significantly less back chub! I haven't seen myself from behind, and had help with the photo (my fiance) Still a lot to loose, but coming along nicely!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What a great guy! Plus you can take 15 minute showers now
  • Jkmumma
    Options
    And sorry, no before pictures of the hair, other than my profile picture. Imagine THAT, only down to my rear at the time of the cut.
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Love it! The back is especially cute. :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, it looks great! I also just got mine cut, cut off about 14 inches which I have in a bag ready to send to Locks of Love. Mine is now about the same length as yours but it's not as cute. :drinker:
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You know, as a guy, I have never understood the man dictating if a women can cut their hair or not (and yes there are people I know like this). IT'S HER F*****G HAIR, NOT YOURS!
    Sorry, I got out of hand.

Good for you, it looks great.
  • Jkmumma
    Options
    Thanks. 12 hours later, STILL loving it.

And getting the expected results: some folks love it.

My EXES and MY MOM AND DAD are tripping out telling me it's hideous ETC.

And you know what, I'm not even upset about that. WIN.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!