High School Makes It Diffucult

Options
Ok so I'm attempting to lose weight by graduation, which is on June 4th!!(woo hoo)...but being at school makes it very diffucult to diet...Our school has no microwave or anything like that. We are allowed to go off campus though. We have a salad bar but I AM NOT a salad person..I pretty much hate it...I was wondering if anybody had good ideas for what I could pack for lunch. Keep in mind that I really have no way to keep anything warm, but I do have a mini igloo to keep things cold. If you think I should suck it up and shove the salad down my throat, be honest and tell me so.

Replies

• Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Buy an insulated thermos and then you could bring low cal. soups. Tuna is good...either with saltines or on whole wheat bread ( more filling this way)
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    First off, if you don't like salad don't eat it just because it's healthy. There are plenty of healthy foods, and if you eat something you hate you'll get sick of it and want to eat something else/more. I'd suggest a sandwhich (whole wheat dread or pita) and low-fat lunch meat... add some fruit and vegtables. Also, I like to have a cheese stick and cashews handy for a quick snack.
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You could find low cal bread and turkey or some kind of lunch meat and make a sandwich. I had a corned beef on rye bread with mustard the other day for breakfast...200 calories.... You could also carry fruit to go with your sandwich or some low fat crackers like Triscuits or something. Best of luck and Congratulations!! on your graduation!! Make sure you ENJOY your last few months in high school!!! :bigsmile:

Also, there is some sugar free Jello products out there that are pretty good!! Pudding has 60 calories I think and the Jello itself has like 10 :flowerforyou:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I agree with JJRunning, great ideas.

Sandwich, string cheese, baked lays, carrots/fruit.... Easy foods that you won't feel like everyone is watching you saying Diet! She's on a diet!:laugh: Also things like yogurt, v8, almonds, apples are great snacks. Just keep it simple and no don't eat salads if you don't like them cause you won't stick with it!

Best of luck!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I teach at a high school and while I do have access to a microwave I rarely have the time to use it.

For lunch I usually take some low fat cheese, apples, strawberries, a turkey sandwich, baked cheetos, and some almonds or walnuts.

That holds me over until 2:45pm and then I can have a better snacky when I get home before I go to the gym.

There are some new plastic containers out there that hold your warm food and keep it warm for up to 6 hours or something like that. Could be a great idea for soups and what not.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I agree with buying a good thermos...soups, chili, stews, stir fry, pasta salads, cereal

wraps are always a good idea teamed with fruit and milk
  • jdramage
    jdramage Posts: 37
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming graduation! It looks like there are lots of great suggestions here. What I'd like to add that it seems that life in general makes it difficult to be on a diet... whether you're in high school, at work, on holidays, out with friends, etc. There are always going to be obstacles to your healthy eating and exercising efforts and I think it's fantastic that you're interested in learning strategies at a young age. It will set you up for success as you get older. Also, I watched Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution last week where he's trying to make a difference in elementary schools, but hopefully he can get to high schools. There should be microwaves! I wonder if it's something you could approach a teacher about? Microwaves are not very expensive nowadays and there's probably other students who could benefit from having them. Good luck!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are not very expensive nowadays and there's probably other students who could benefit from having them. Good luck!

I think the schools have several problems with microwaves:

1) Lunch periods are 30 minutes...you would need a lot of microwaves to support a school of 1000 students
    2) Burn potential....then, the school is liable
    3) Contamination...I can barely keep my micro clean with 4 kids...how, about a 1000 kids

Be creative and pack your own
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Healthy sandwiches, fruit, cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, etc. I often eat leftovers from dinner the night before. I refrigerate them overnight and keep them in my desk until it's time to eat lunch. No microwave necessary, really.

It's not high school that makes it difficult. What do you think those of us who work 8 (or more) hours a day do? :laugh: It's just life and when you want something, there are ways to achieve it. I work 8.30am-9pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Here's an example of my meal plan for a day like that --

breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal & 1tbs peanut butter for breakfast (I mix in a tiny bit of protein powder as well) - have this before you leave home in the morning or take a portable breakfast with you (boiled egg, & peanut butter toast for example)
    morning snack:100g strawberries & 1 Babybel cheddar (it's a little individually wrapped piece of cheese)
    lunch: last night's leftovers (chicken, broccoli, and rice would be one generic/boring example -- this varies like crazy)
    afternoon snack: greek yogurt

Then I drive from one job to the next at 5pm.
    While driving (tsk tsk) I eat a luna protein nutrition bar

Then I get home from work at 9.30pm.
    dinner: 5oz chicken, 150g baked potato with 1/2tbs butter and 2oz plain greek yogurt, 100g garlic roasted asparagus
    dessert: 1/2 cup frozen yogurt with 50g strawberries

Note that in this example I went from 8.30am-9pm eating healthy without ever touching a microwave/oven/stove/refrigerator! :wink:
  • solunastra
    Options
    You've gotten lots of good tips so far, but I would also add that salad dressing can make a huge difference! For instance, I hate garden salads with Ranch dressing, but a spinach salad with nuts and a berry vinaigrette is delicious. If you know of a salad dressing you like and can find some veggies on the salad bar that appeal to you, you could bring your own dressing to school.

But like others have said, if you really just don't like salad, there are plenty of other ways to get veggies. Carrots and celery sticks are really easy to pack in a lunch.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Two points.

Firstly, exercise needs to part of your strategy. You have to balance what you eat with what you do. There's no way around this, its part of human physiology. Homework might make it hard to find time, but that's part of life too.

Secondly, I understand that teenagers don't have the same nutritional needs as adults. I assume you're 17-18 if you're about to graduate, so the difference should be minor, but you should be aware the targets set by MFP may not be suitable for you (they probably wont be too far away though). This is an excellent site, but you should also see if you can find nutritional information specifically for your age group.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I lost at least 20 lbs when I was in high school by eating healthy. For lunch and snacks I would pack stuff like wasa rye crackers and jam, oranges, bananas, apples, grapes (I love fruit), cucumber slices, lettuce with cheese cubes (when I was doing low carb for a while, and this snack stuck), juice boxes (unless you want to cut sugar... I'm sure you could find more healthy options at health food stores, or in the health section of local grocery stores).

At other times of the day I would eat cereal and rice milk (Rice Dream) for breakfast (I can't have cow milk...) and usually chili, or something with high protein for dinner, and a banana at night. This is more or less how I lost weight in high school. I also did about 30 mins of walking a day, 5 x / week.

I should also mention that losing the weight took me 2 years, and I ate really badly on weekends. :laugh: