I'm curious what your opinions are...

Options
I've read so many different articles and seen a bunch of different specials and I'm still unsure.

Does anyone know the "average" or "ideal" weight for females and males?

I know there's an infinite amount of different answers and the question is pretty vague, but I just wanted to know what the realm of opinions were on this topic.

I'm curious if I have a distorted view on my body type compared to the "ideal" body type.

Thanks, guys! and happy dieting :)

Replies

• jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    this depends on lots of thing including your height and age which are???
  • KimiBerman
    KimiBerman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and currently 150 lbs and 5'4

This isn't so much a personal evaluation of myself, but more a general curiosity because I realllllly don't know
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    there's an infinite amount of different answers

There's my opinion.
  • Rachelle1016
    Options
    You'd really have to look at your BMI. You're probably in the higher end of the normal range with that. But, you could measure body fat and see how that rates for you. :)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't think weight tells you much but body fat % does because it takes your build (bone structure) into account.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yep, completely different for everyone. I'm 44 and the same weight as you, but 6" taller. To be 150 at 21 would have been a nightmare for me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to focus on body fat percentage. It's hard to know exactly which weight is "normal" because everyone's frame is different, not to mention muscle mass can add weight since muscle is more dense than fat.

For my petite friend with a small frame, she looks fine at the low end of the "normal" range for her height. For me, I would look downright sick if I weighed that little because I have a larger frame with wide hips. Additionally, one of my friends is technically "overweight" by six pounds, but that's because you can bounce a quarter off her thighs. She's stacked from doing CrossFit.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association has great info! Check it out!
  • KimiBerman
    Options
    Great point! I didn't really take that into account.
    Thanks for your input :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and currently 150 lbs and 5'4

This isn't so much a personal evaluation of myself, but more a general curiosity because I realllllly don't know

I am 5`4 and now 139 lbs but it suits me to be this weight and hubby says he doesn`t want me to lose any more and to be honest I feel comfortable at this weight and stats.

Maybe just go off how you feel comfortable in the clothes you wear?

As long as you are in a healthy bmi then that is the most important thing, I think?
  • KimiBerman
    Options
    That's actually my goal weight. I just want to lose 10-15 pounds by spring break, just to feel healthy and active.

Thanks!
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good read:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm

Make sure to read the entire thing, and then there's a link to a calculator at the bottom. It will show you some options for frame and such.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    how-much-should-i-weigh-chart.gif

I know the male side is chopped off due to width, but if anyone wants to see the rest of it, go to:
    http://cdu2011.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/how-much-should-i-weigh-chart.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The Met Life tables are pretty antiquated. Frame size? Come on.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    at 6' 2", I can't imagine being 197. I was probably 18 the last time I was below 200 and I was still growing. My current goal is 210 and I'm not sure I'll even get there

I hate charts like this, and BMI (which I'm assuming this chart was taken from), they are all B.S.

"HWP" is going to be different for everyone.