What are athletes/active people eating?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    brown rice, quinoa (sp?), lentils, all veggies, oats, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, fresh fruit, not cannned and if u do buy canned make sure its no sugar added or in own juice, protein powder or a good protein bar like quest bars or balance bars(those kinda taste like *kitten* tho) and make sure ur eating enough cals

So, for example when I have soccer practice its telling me to eat a whole nother 1000 calories theres no way that could be right, right? and if you don't eat enough calories will you not lose weight?

It depends on the intensity of your practice. Athletes eat a lot of food to support their training. A high calorie deficit can mess up your weight loss, and be HORRIBLE for performance. You might want to get a hold of a Nutrition for Athletes book. Athletes prioritize performance over asthetics. Often weight loss can improve your performance, obviously, but you need to find the right balance to do it at such a rate that the deficit doesn't impact performance.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    brown rice, quinoa (sp?), lentils, all veggies, oats, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, fresh fruit, not cannned and if u do buy canned make sure its no sugar added or in own juice, protein powder or a good protein bar like quest bars or balance bars(those kinda taste like *kitten* tho) and make sure ur eating enough cals

So, for example when I have soccer practice its telling me to eat a whole nother 1000 calories theres no way that could be right, right? and if you don't eat enough calories will you not lose weight?
    it depends how many calories u burn, so maybe ya, i no some days i eat 2500 cals just from a 2 hr workout session, so if ur practice or games are longer then that ur gonna burn tons of calories that ur body needs
  • LindseyWPFC
    Options
    Well yesterday I had McDonald's twice and a nice brunchy feast at a pancake house.

Luckyy

you don't have mcdonalds or pancake houses nearby?

Ha Ha of course I do, But can't eat it!!

oh why? you're young and active. your calorie budget must be hyooooge!

No I get 1290 a day, and regardless mcdonalds is not good for you! haha

Why? Who told you that?

If you are very active 1290 isn't what you should be eating. Unless you are very short. And thin. And not active.

That is what my fitness pal says! I have soccer practice every day for 2 hours with tons of conditioning so that's why I put very active if thats considered it. How much should I be eating?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I had McDonald's twice and a nice brunchy feast at a pancake house.

Luckyy

you don't have mcdonalds or pancake houses nearby?

Ha Ha of course I do, But can't eat it!!

oh why? you're young and active. your calorie budget must be hyooooge!

No I get 1290 a day, and regardless mcdonalds is not good for you! haha

Why? Who told you that?

If you are very active 1290 isn't what you should be eating. Unless you are very short. And thin. And not active.

That is what my fitness pal says! I have soccer practice every day for 2 hours with tons of conditioning so that's why I put very active if thats considered it. How much should I be eating?

I already posted the links twice. And one person quoted them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    mc ds is so icky for u, even if it fits in ur day why not use those calories on real nutritious food

Some said the McRib would cause diarrhea, and that does sound kind of icky. But it all sat very well with me, so no it's not icky for me. Maybe for some people though. :smile:
  • LindseyWPFC
    Options

It depends on the intensity of your practice. Athletes eat a lot of food to support their training. A high calorie deficit can mess up your weight loss, and be HORRIBLE for performance. You might want to get a hold of a Nutrition for Athletes book. Athletes prioritize performance over asthetics. Often weight loss can improve your performance, obviously, but you need to find the right balance to do it at such a rate that the deficit doesn't impact performance.

Very intense, yeah I feel very weak at practice because I thought I was only supposed to eat 1290 calories a day. I just want to lose weight AND keep my performance up, so I'm trying to find a balance!
  • LindseyWPFC
    Options
    You don't look like you need to lose 10-15 lbs, you look like you just need to lean up a little bit (I mean, for your own tastes --- I think you look great, but I could also see where you might want to reduce your body fat a little for your personal preferences).

I would recommend reading this:
    http://gokaleo.com/?p=646

(and checking out the timeline of her photos here: http://gokaleo.com/?p=415)

Notice she looks much more trim and fit in at 160 in her latest pictures, even though she weighs less a few pictures before that?
    That comes from eating maintenance calories and compound barbell lifts.

Good blog in general.

But as far as what we're eating ... Lots of real food, more or less whatever we want, without going nuts. I don't even track my macros that hard frankly, I eat enough protein and then the rest of it pretty much lands where it will (and tends to land all right, maybe a bit high on fat). You don't need an magic foods, meal replacement shakes, or anything. Just eat good real food that you enjoy, don't eat too much of it, keep moving, lift weights, see what happens.

I'm the same physical size I was in terms of my clothing size when I weighed 20 lbs more htan I do now, just because I have so much more muscle and bone density than I did at that weight - I was LIGHTER but I wasn't THINNER.

Thanks! Appreciate it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Very intense, yeah I feel very weak at practice because I thought I was only supposed to eat 1290 calories a day. I just want to lose weight AND keep my performance up, so I'm trying to find a balance!
    Follow the links given. TDEE minus 10% is probably where you want to be.
  • Madelinew22
    Options

if u wanna keep the 1290, then u should NET that number, so whatever u burn threw practice eat them back or untill u feel full and better, ,and its ok if u go over that number too, im 5'2 and i eat a ton so just listen to ur body and feed it those items i suggested and u should do better, also all kinds of nuts are a great energy sourse and easy to take on the go, and canned tuna in water
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    mc ds is so icky for u, even if it fits in ur day why not use those calories on real nutritious food

Some said the McRib would cause diarrhea, and that does sound kind of icky. But it all sat very well with me, so no it's not icky for me. Maybe for some people though. :smile:

ur a dork:wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of high fiber pasta, brown rice, lean turkey and chicken, beets, spinach, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, aged cheese like cheddar (soft cheeses and milk mess up my digestion), oatmeal, almond milk, dark chocolate, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I eat other things too, but these are my primaries...

ETA: I always try to eat back as many exercise cals as I can handle and it has worked perfectly for me. I'm on maintenance, so that's 1700 PLUS whatever calories I earn through exercise. Just don't overestimate your calorie burn and you will be fine.

Also, I'm one of those people who won't eat at McDonald's - just walking past one makes me queasy from the stench. That stuff wreaks havoc on my bowels! :sick:
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little food. You need to be eating around 2000 calories a day if you want to lose fat in a healthy manner. Probably closer to 2500 calories on days you have soccer practice. MFP is a dumb tool that has basically a one size fits all basic model for everyone. You need to be smart about how you use it.

As for what to eat, at your age it doesn't matter that much. Hit your calorie and macro targets and that's all that really matters.
  • LindseyWPFC
    Options
    You're eating way too little food. You need to be eating around 2000 calories a day if you want to lose fat in a healthy manner. Probably closer to 2500 calories on days you have soccer practice. MFP is a dumb tool that has basically a one size fits all basic model for everyone. You need to be smart about how you use it.

As for what to eat, at your age it doesn't matter that much. Hit your calorie and macro targets and that's all that really matters.

See, this is what a lot of people have been telling me but I feel like that's what I do on a regular basis and I don't look the way I want, because I know I forsure am not eating over 2500 calories so I don't know what to change!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

So then MFP is NOT telling you to eat 1290. It's telling you to eat 1290 PLUS the 1000 calories you burned at practice. You need to eat 2290 calories on days that you pratice or you are eventually going to crash and burn. :flowerforyou:
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    You can check out my logging if you like. I work out 5-7 times a week, certified nutritionist, played sports all my life, etc.

What foods should I try to be eating? I don't know what foods are best for me to eat, I'm just guessing, like yogurt and bananas for breakfast, peanutbutter sandwhich and string cheese and crackers or something for lunch and chicken for dinner???

You should be trying to get one source of protein at each meal of the day. So with your breakfast you should have 2 eggs or a protein shake along with the yogurt and banana. Lunch and dinner should be some sort of lean meat, veggies/salad, and 1/2-1cup of a whole grain carb like oats, ezekiel bread, fruit, beans, yams, sweet potatoes.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    pretty much whatever I want... check my diary.

oh, and wine. LOTS of wine. Especially on Friday nights. But I AM of age, of course.... :drinker: :happy:
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm very active (intense training at least 10 hrs per week) and I lose at 1800 and feel sick if I go below that. You probably will notice a difference in your perfomance, even at a modest deficit, because you're going to need to be running on fat sometimes, which is not the best for performance. You don't need to go off of MFP calories because the exercise calories are particularly innacurate. Try something like 1800 - 2000 and see if you lose.