Self tanning lotion

Options
2»

Replies

• Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Is it the tanning that may cause cancer? I was under the impression that a bad burn was much worse for you.

I tend to hit the tanning bed for about a month or two in the spring; just before we go on vacation. Nothing worse than lounging around a pool in Mexico fully dressed because I burned myself on the first day.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Is it the tanning that may cause cancer? I was under the impression that a bad burn was much worse for you.

I tend to hit the tanning bed for about a month or two in the spring; just before we go on vacation. Nothing worse than lounging around a pool in Mexico fully dressed because I burned myself on the first day.

I'm one of those "lobster in five minutes" people... but when honey and I went to Mexico last year (we cruised for 10 days), I didn't burn at all. Not once. I used Mary Kay's sunscreen the whole trip. 'Twas great!
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wolfena, that is a hilarious picture!!!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    From the American Cancer Society's website:

"Lights used in tanning beds and sun lamps give off mainly ultraviolet-A (UVA) radiation, according to the study. UVA was classified as a probable human cancer-causing agent by the International Agency for Cancer Research (IARC) in 1992, according to the Swedish study. IARC is a part of the World Health Organization."

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/nws/content/nws_1_1x_tanning_beds_may_increase_skin_cancer_risk.asp

The article further states that the lights in a tanning bed multiple the radiation to which one is exposed, which would actually make it worse than getting a sunburn.

I do not use tanning beds, and even though I tan easily, I always wear sunscreen.

I don't like self-tanners by themselves, I prefer the lotions. The best I have found by far (and I've tried pretty much everything) is the Jergens Natural Glow Express. It's a much smaller bottle, but it does not leave your skin orange or streaky. It builds up gradually if you care to apply more than once, and results show rather rapidly.

My secrets for flawless self-tanning: exfoliate with a moisturizing exfoliator in the shower (i.e. one that has natural oils in at as opposed to simply a loofah or dry salt), apply the tanning lotion quickly and evenly upon patting dry after the shower, follow up about ten to twenty minutes later with another lotion (I use Palmer's Cocoa Butter) to increase moisture and help to even out any areas. Of course avoid elbows, knees, wrists, and ankles. Wash your hands after initial application and follow up (colorless) lotion application.

In a quick fix, you can use a body makeup spray like Sally Hansen Salon Airbrush Legs, although I find applying this evenly takes much more practice and if you don't let it set long enough it will definitely come off on your clothing. I have, however, used it over all of my exposed skin (arms and chest included) when I didn't have time for a self-tanning session.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    Method, I agree with that. If i go out to tan. I never do it without 15-30. I have used a tanning bed once. However, it's all about the time that you spend. My mom has a skin thing and one part of the treatment is a lotion of some kind and the other is light treatment. It's a standing tanning bed controled by an RN and they put her in for 1:30. So it's not all bad. Do it in moderation and where sunscreen.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great info here! I am happy to say I avoided the tanning bed this winter.