is 1200 calories/day really enough?

Options
I have my ups and downs.. today I ate a ton more than I should've (not healthy choices at dinner or snack...eek) but I am a bit concerned 1200 calories/day without exercise is too low?
Maybe I am not trying hard enough. I normally exercise quite a bit and I'll eat my calories I burned so I eat maybe 1500 or so. but I also GO WAY OVER my calories, particularly on days when I do not exercise. I'm all over the map!!!!! ughhhhhhhhh I ate over 3000 calories today...but I did not make healthy choices and did not exercise today.

Is anyone else finding 1200 calories really difficult to stay around? I end up pigging out on junk at the end of the day which (as you can see in my diary...) completely ruins my hard work eating better earlier in the day.

any advice about how you overcame this problem?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories no matter what (whether I exercise or not) lost over a pound a week (averaged out) in the 3 months I have been working on it)
  • jlr316
    jlr316 Posts: 21
    Options
    I couldn't do 1200, I couldn't even do the original 1320 MFP set me at. lol

I eat around 1500 or more, and am losing. Some days I don't even track (usually weekends and celebrations), and it works out fine. If you feel that you are starving at the end of the day, then increase your calories.
  • Cmkenyon
    Options
    I am 5'3 and started out at 185. I have been working hard to lose 60 lbs for 3 months now with a 1200 calorie diet. I have lost 29 lbs to date. It's not just about losing weight, it's about being healthier overall and making a life style change. You MUST commit to watching what you eat! That's not to say you can't still enjoy junk food from time to time, in moderation, you will be fine. Stick to serving sizes with everything you eat. My Dr. told me that your main course at dinner time should be no bigger than the palm of your hand and your veggie portion should be double that. It's been hard to be so disciplined, but it is getting easier. I have a very physical labor job and always burn my daily allowance of calories. I also don't eat my earned calories most of the time. Just cut down on the junk, for example, have 1 or 2 cookies instead of 4 or 5. It's all about personal discipline and commitment. Eat healthier and you will be healthier! Keep up the good work :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No.

Find out your TDEE and eat 15% below that and you 'll be fine.
  • Paro_182003
    Paro_182003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, i am also on 1200 calories diet and i find it very easy to stick with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find 1200 calories to be enough...

....for dinner!

Go to the first post in this thread, do the calculations, and enjoy losing weight without starving yourself and screwing your body up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

....for dinner!

Go to the first post in this thread, do the calculations, and enjoy losing weight without starving yourself and screwing your body up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Ditto, I'm following IPOARM and losing lots of inches.
  • ninth_ant
    ninth_ant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i can get along just fine with 1200 calories on no exercise days. The trick is finding foods that satisfy your body's hunger cravings at that level -- as someone already said everyone is their own unique snowflake. What works for me is a paleo/low-carb approach with egg whites, lean meats, and vegetables -- if I try to eat a low-fat diet with refined carbs I would go insane at 1200 calories. But for you maybe it's different, I would day it's worth experimenting with different types of foods until you find something you like.

Even easier though is to add in exercise though. Then you can spoil yourself (just a little) and still hit your daily target. :-)
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and it's fine by me.
    I am still eating heaps, it all depends on WHAT you eat! I am learning fast that some small meals can be calorie rich, where some large meals can be calorie poor. It is all about educating yourself on food - I ate chocolate all week (along with veggies) and STILL lost a kilo, no extra exercise.
    (1kg = 2.2lb)
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have found that staying under my calorie goal is possible, but I have also found that a few times I have been so hungry I almost felt weak. Here is the way I am trying to look at it: Do your best to stay around that number as a goal. If you go over, then a) try and do some exercise and b) go over by eating foods that, while they may add calories, are healthier foods. i.e. it is probably better for you to eat 1500 calories worth of grilled chicken breast and steamed carrots than it is for you to eat 1200 calories of fried chicken and mashed potatoes. I am no doctor, but that seems like common sense and might help you with your dilemna.
  • fatboyshane105
    Options
    any advice about how you overcame this problem?
    My wife is also on the 1200 calorie goal and finds it hard to stick by, too. I'm a guy and standing 6' and began this program at just under 210 pounds, but with my goals and body type, I'm still on a 1500 calorie a day goal. It's hard some days, but on most days I net well under that.

I think that it's very important to have a "free day" - a day where you just kinda blow off the diet and eat what you want, but don't go overboard (it is very possible to kill a weeks worth of exercise and dieting in a day). I decided to make my free days on Friday, because I just feel like coming home from work, relaxing and eating delicious food for the rest of the day before going into the weekend. if you have this free day, it makes staying within your calorie goal for the rest of the week much easier I have found, plus you have something to look forward to during the rest of the week.

Another thing, after you stick to your daily calorie goal for a few weeks, your stomach does "shrink" and get used to less food.

Good luck!
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1200 was way too low for me, too, and for me, my main concern is to not get too hungry, If you're really hungry (like shaky falling over hungry) you don't do your workout as well as you should, and for me, that's when I start to give in to the evil voice in my head telling me to eat pizza or a cupcake, lol! If you can keep yourself from being hungry, I think that is key. If 1200 isn't enough, try 1500. It's only 300 calories more a day, but you can eat an extra apple during the day, etc.

You can also adjust your goals so mfp will increase your intake, too. If you're starving yourself, you're going to fail. That's my experience anyway. Eating 300 calories more a day for success is totally worth it!
  • isitsororo
    Options
    I have found that pre-logging (logging my food for the day ahead of time) helps me avoid going over a low calorie goal.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I dont know MFP has me set at 1800 calories ( i have a very physical job so it added that in) and i lowered it because it seemed to be too high.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

....for dinner!

Seriously.

I'm not exaggerating either. I'm a woman, I'm short, I'm not abnormally active, I have a desk job, and I have a thyroid problem. I have all the major excuses. But on big workout days I can easily have a 1200+ cal dinner. Disclaimer though- I do save my calories to backload the day. I like to eat in the evenings. I lost most of my weight at 1650+exercise. I'm nearing maintenance, so I've slowed to 1950 now.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think if you work your way down to it, it's ok. What I mean by that is, for example, I started MFP at 1550 calories. Now I've just dropped to 1230, and while I know it's gonna be tough, it's also doable, especially if I work out, eat a lot of protein, and drink a lot of water. But I also don't stress too much when I go over, as long as I'm sticking under maintenance.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If that's your net calories then it might be enough, but if you're talking gross calories then I don't think so, unless you're a chihuahua with internet access.

Read up http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard at all in fact. Just make better choices.

Sorry but I'd shoot myself if I went anywhere near 300 cals for the day. That's how I got fat in the 1st place.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    No
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard at all in fact. Just make better choices.

Sorry but I'd shoot myself if I went anywhere near 300 cals for the day. That's how I got fat in the 1st place.

you got fat eating 300 calories a day? :noway: