c-section question.....peeing????

Options
Hi there,
Okay so strange question. I had a c-section 15 months ago. When I run on the treadmill, I could barely get 2 miles in before I feel like I have to go. I don't mean piddle, I mean, I end up running off the treadmill to the gym bathroom! I don't feel like that so much when I am running outside, but it is crazy! Has anyone else dealt w/ this? YES, I do Kegels!:blushing:

Replies

• Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I always went to the bathroom right before I started running and stopped drinking water like 40 minutes before running.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Do you actually go pee when you leave the treadmill or is it just a trickle? Sounds like something about running is irritating your bladder, or stimulating it, I suppose.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If I don't pee right before I get on the treadmill, I feel like I'll pee my pants...maybe it's just the motion? Have you tried going right before you get on? I continue to drink while I run and then usually end up peeing right after.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    5 baby's later...yes I do. I go the gym bathroom inbetween each of my 30 minute rotations. If I am mensturating it is worse.

You are not alone. Do not restrict your water though. I find that if I am drinking just water instead of any flavored drinks or tea it is better..

D
  • mdeguzman
    mdeguzman Posts: 35
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections and what I discovered is the more core training I did the less affected my bladder was when running jumping ( we have a trampoline) but I ALWAYS go to the bathroom before exercising. I will wet my pants otherwise. Remember 1st you had a baby pressing on your bladder for several months then they cut your stomach muscles. Your body has been pushed to the limits but core training REALLY helps. I like pilates personally but yoga and body sculpt classes work too.
  • cocacole77
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with a C-section but it has EVERYTHING to do with a baby on your bladder for 9 months. My bladder gets worse with each baby!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've only had one baby, three and a half years ago ("natural" way) and I still have issues. When I run on the treadmill, doesn't matter if I went to the bathroom right before or not, I feel like my bladder might just fall out from needing to pee..lol. Core exercises are helping me too though with that.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I had a c-section for the first time with my 4th and it made my bladder issues Oh so much worse than they use to be. I have large babies and it has wreaked havoc on my bladder.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yep...it's the baby on the bladder issue. I was 18 when I had my daughter (she's now six)...you'd have thought that being that young my muscles would bounce back...nope. I still will trickle a bit if I sneeze or laugh too hard. I always go to the bathroom before I work out...just in case.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I am not glad that everyone has to deal w/ this, but I am happy to know I am NOT alone. I work w/ a girl whose son is 2 months older than mine...she says sometimes she tinkles when she sneezes but nothing more than that.
    I go to the bathroom 3 times before I run, if I am running long-Sunday was a 10 miler, I can not go w/ out water. I bring a small bottle, I have to go when I get home but NOTHING like on the treadmill. It is crazy! I have seriously thought I was going to go in my pants in front of the whole gym:) But I will tell you, it is no tinkle, it is full blown!

I wonder if it gets better or worse:)
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's probably weak abdominal/pelvic muscles due to your pregnancy and surgery. If your gynecologist can't help find online exercises you can do at home to strengthen these complicated pelvic muscles. Running just exacerbates this issue, you might want to stop doing that and brisk walking instead until you can get them strengthened back up. Take care of that part of your body now, it just gets worse when you get older. :(

Good luck!!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    oh thank god! i thought i was the only weirdo!!!
    i pee before doing the treadmill, and if i run outside....i have to do my kegels when i get ready to stop.
    i don't know either if it is the c-section that did it, or just having a baby, but either way....ugh!!

actualy i think i saw some sort of sports pantyliner advertised the other day, which made me feel a little better.
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Another thing to think about is a Prolapse. I was having bladder issues and went in for a routine pelvic exam and they told me that my uterus had prolapsed into my va-jay-jay.....Gross I know...lol.....I hadn't noticed much of a difference with sex but it did make me feel like I had to go all the time......I had a hysto a few weeks later...(YAY..LOVE IT!!) I was done having kids so that was fine with me!....They left my ovaries (so I didn't go into hormone he!!) and took the cervix and uterus. That was about 3 years ago.

I still have a bladder the size of a pea so I have to go right before I run.

If you haven't had an exam lately it might be something to think about....HTH....E
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about is a Prolapse. I was having bladder issues and went in for a routine pelvic exam and they told me that my uterus had prolapsed into my va-jay-jay.....Gross I know...lol.....I hadn't noticed much of a difference with sex but it did make me feel like I had to go all the time......I had a hysto a few weeks later...(YAY..LOVE IT!!) I was done having kids so that was fine with me!....They left my ovaries (so I didn't go into hormone he!!) and took the cervix and uterus. That was about 3 years ago.

If you haven't had an exam lately it might be something to think about....HTH....E

i love that quote you have
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings.... We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick... We are flexible....

I have had 3 kiddos all natural.. and i have to pee a lot especially when jumping on the trampoline.. i have to wear a super maxi pad :laugh: and sometimes i have to jump around in my classes so i just wear a maxi all the time working out just in case it helps hide the butt sweat too :blushing: :laugh:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Core training helped me. I was actually having an incontinence problem before I started pilates and yoga.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I always went to the bathroom right before I started running and stopped drinking water like 40 minutes before running.

Just to clarify I didn't mean to not drink water while you are running. Just stop long enough before you run so you start with an empty bladder. That is what I did and it relieved the urgency.
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options

i love that quote you have
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings.... We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick... We are flexible....

Yeah I went through a divorce last year!.....lol.....nuff said:wink: