Weight Lifting @ maintenence

I wanted to start lifting after hearing what great effects it can have, but I was wondering if I should start now (about 10 lbs left till maintenence) or wait until I reach my weight goal, then work on toning up?

Currently, I aim to run/jog/walk 30mins, 3x a week.

So, I also wanted to know how to fit this in with lifting. Should I continue the 3 days a week, or cut those days to add in lifting?

Any opinions welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    You should start now, building muscle takes time. And as a newb weight lifter you will probably be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
  • lalaleche
    lalaleche Posts: 11 Member
    I agree, you should start weight lifting, you'll reach you're maintenance before you know it! You could run/jog/walk on days you aren't lifting in the gym and take a day or two off on the weekends or whenever you'd like. So something like Mon:lift Tues:Run Wed:Lift Thurs:Run Fri: Lift Sat&Sun: Off or whatever fits your schedule or liking.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Start lifting heavy as early as possible. Don't wait till maintenance. You're going to love the results.

babydeadlift_zps6b89923a.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Start now. Take advantage of the newbie gains you can get on a deficit.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    I wanted to start lifting after hearing what great effects it can have, but I was wondering if I should start now (about 10 lbs left till maintenence) or wait until I reach my weight goal, then work on toning up?

Currently, I aim to run/jog/walk 30mins, 3x a week.

So, I also wanted to know how to fit this in with lifting. Should I continue the 3 days a week, or cut those days to add in lifting?

Any opinions welcome. Thanks!
    You look great by the way. The earlier you start weight training, the better. I have been weight training since I started @ the YMCA about a month into my journey .. I started @ 344 and was down to about 330 by that point... I have never backed off of that and have done cardio and weights pretty consistently. Currently I am 229 and am down from a size 48 to a 32 pant and a size 2-3X shirt to a Large... these are smaller sizes than when I last weighed 170 in the mid 1980s (well I wore a medium shirt then but a 34 pant).... I could weear medium now except for my shoulders are too wide for my sleeves to fit correctly.

The best option to me is a 3 prong attack... Flexibility (stretching/Yoga), strength (weights) and endurance (cardio)... Best wishes as you approach your goal and move toward a healthier lifestyle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Delaying just delays the time you can build a more complete physique you want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

[/quote]