50# of Potatoes

Options

Replies

• CrystalZ2012
    CrystalZ2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, my father just gave me an early christmas present of 50 lbs of amish grown russet potatoes. I'm not much of a add butter, sour cream, cheese person for potatoes so i'm pretending this is a healthier "present" But...I need ideas because mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes are only going to be good for so long.

What do you use potatoes in?

~drowning in potatoes
    Bake them and than make healthy skin on homefries for breakfast. Also you can use them for soup. Cook and freeze what you can't eat right now, and you'll have potatoes for a long time!
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Make pyrohy with potato filling. Potato with cottage cheese, potato with cheddar, potato with onion, potato with fried mushroom. So good.

Also called perogies. I'm sure you can find a good recipe. The dough is really simple, just flour and water and oil, basically. They can be frozen before the are cooked, so you can do up a whole batch with your mashed potatoes and store them for when you are ready for them.

If you can't find a good recipe then just hit me up and I will type it out for you.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    soup, hash browns and pancakes. Yes they can be made in a healthy way check allreceipes.com or just google ideas. my husband finds ideas like crazy that he tries all the time when i'm not home!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Latkes and perogis!!!

Also, you can store them in a cool, dark place about 35-40F (not the fridge) for quite a long time.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *bump* for future reference
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Throw some potatoes in a hot beef stew :D
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas everyone. Thank you. It looks like I will be trying a lot of new dishes this winter.

I was talking with an Amish woman yesterday and she told me that after i make mashed potatoes and I"m tired of them I should cut up some onion and a little egg and make potato pancakes too.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    microwave potato chips...mmmmmmm Super great snack
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You can cube them toss in spices and olive oil ank bake them, you can add them to a crock pot for a roast, you can shred them and make hashbrowns with breakfast for dinner, you can make potato salad, you can slice them wrap them in foil with butter and spices put on grill or just bake.... You can put them in foil with chicken on top and salsa and cheese, then bake..
  • skiboat1us
    skiboat1us Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would be giving some to a food pantry. :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

The gift that keeps on giving. Win.
    ummm...can you see a couple steps missing in those instructions? :laugh:
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    Wash & dice 2-3 potatoes & 1 small onion. Put in a casserole dish. Add 2 sausages of your choice & add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of salsa. Put on the lid bake 30 min. at 375. You can also do this with out the sausages. Enjoy.
  • lostsouls65
    lostsouls65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use potatoes in all my soups to thicken and give taste to soups. works wonders

quote]
    Mmmm! What an awesome gift!

Potato soup...loads and loads of potato soup!!!!!!
    [/quote]
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the comments but my potato indulgence is always twice baked potatoes YUM and there are unlimited ways you can make them, even healthy! what you want to use as a base when making your potatoes is rinse them. poke holes in them, rub olive oil on them I use EVOO and then rub salt on them sea salt is pretty healthy. Heat your oven to 400 degrees and bake for an hour and 15 minutes. Take them out and let them cool reduce heat in oven to 350 scoop all the innards out of your potato and mix in all your goodness . put the innards back into the potato shells and bake for another 15-20 minutes. They are YUMMY and you can make extras for lunch the next day if you're a leftover kind of person. ALSO, you can take the extras and freeze them in the freezer for future meals all you would have to do is reheat them in the oven. They should last about a month made up in the freezer.
  • rambo831
    Options
    vodka
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Many food pantries would love to have them. Consider a gift that keeps on giving
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would just keep looking at the giant sack and then carry them around the house. I noticed 50lbs is about what your end weight loss goal is. You can imagine how much better you're going to feel when you lose your own 50lb sack of potatoes.

Other than that...I microwave mine and put lowfat cottage cheese on it and then top it with Walmart brand black bean and corn salsa. Pretty yummy.

Good luck!
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would just keep looking at the giant sack and then carry them around the house. I noticed 50lbs is about what your end weight loss goal is. You can imagine how much better you're going to feel when you lose your own 50lb sack of potatoes.

Other than that...I microwave mine and put lowfat cottage cheese on it and then top it with Walmart brand black bean and corn salsa. Pretty yummy.

Good luck!
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I so agree ! I did this with a 10 pound bag in the begining, and everytime I lost a pound I moved one pounds worth of patoes to a different bag or cooked. It really gave me a boost