HOW do you STAY motivated????

Options
I am in awe of the people that I see on here and in the news that decided to lose weight and just DO it!!! I find myself unable to stay committed for more than 2 weeks.I have good intentions and feel really strongly but then BOOM I am "off the wagon". I feel disgusted by my lack of will power and inability to stay on track. After a few weeks of feeling like a complete failure I try again but this has been the process for me for YEARS!!! How do you STAY committed????? Why, in the moment, is the food so much more important to me than my health or desire to be thin???? Any help would be so appreciated!

Replies

• Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I've been there so many times. It's hard to diet and lose weight.... Plus that's only half the battle, maintaining is even harder. This is the longest I've been able to eat healthy and lose weight, staying committed in my entire life. I've lost 47 pounds since September 12th, and I have no plans on eating the way I use to.

I guess you just get a point in your life where you really realize you have one life to live, and need to take care of the body you have. I have health problems as well as I had poor eating habits. I jumped on my mom's scale after this summer and realized I had gained 20 pounds in just a matter of a few months (on top of already being over weight) I remember looking in the mirror and fighting back the tears.

I thought to myself "No... no. I will NOT allow this to take me over." I turned my devastation into motivation instead and have been losing weight ever since. I grew tired of gaining weight, feeling tired and unattractive. I don't want to be known as the "fat one" anymore. I want to know that despite my health problems I CAN be healthy. I want to know that I will grow old and grey and watch my children grow up and have families of their own. I want to live the longest and healthiest life I possibly can.

What it comes down to is you have to really have a deep down discussion with yourself. Do you want to always look at healthy people and wonder how that feels? Do you want to put yourself at risk for diseases that would never go away? Do you really enjoy the way you feel?

You CAN do this babe! I believe in you. I don't have to know you, to believe you can do this. Mind over matter.. Be stronger than what you think!!

Good luck!
  • treatingmybodyright
    Options
    THIS>>What it comes down to is you have to really have a deep down discussion with yourself. Do you want to always look at healthy people and wonder how that feels? Do you want to put yourself at risk for diseases that would never go away? Do you really enjoy the way you feel?

You have to really, truly want it, more than you want to eat badly or not exercise. If you don't keep pushing yourself, then you don't really want it.

I will also say that you have to find something you like to do. There are so many exercise programs on the planet that it's easy to find *something* active that you like to do.

Last, don't give up. Find friends who will push you, and don't make excuses.
  • HelpMeBeSkinnyASAP
    Options
    I am 100% with you . I have dieted ( and lost ) before , but have never stayed with it for long . I just FULLY started 3 days ago . I started to realize how tired I was getting from doing nothing and how stairs were killing me and I decided that enough was enough . I'm only 17 for petes sake . I guess , there just comes a time when you get sooo fed up with it , you just do it .

My advice though , is to try your very hardest to make it past 3 weeks . They say it takes a month to break/make a habit . If I may , I would suggest doing the 80 day challenge ( I can send it to you if you'd like) . It is just a series of motivational questions that make you really think about what you want in life. Every day , you get on here and answer the question of the day . Like for example , today I am supposed to be vegan for the whole day and see if I like it or not . Yesterday , I had to describe \my ideal body .

It really helps ! If you need any motivation at all , feel free to message me :)
  • LMick1986
    Options
    First, you have to not be disgusted with yourself. You have to realize that everyone falls off somewhere....and that's why we are ALL here. We ALL want some kind of change. Find people that motivate and support you (this is the perfect place!). I can't say what it is exactly that has kept me motivated this long (I've only been at this for two months), but this is the longest I've done something like this. I just got really excited when I saw even the smallest bit of results. :) I set a goal....more what I wanted, I guess. Something so simple like "I want to look great in a bikini next summer". From there, I set very small goals for myself.....because I fail with big goals. I didn't want that to happen. I said something like "I want to lose just three pounds this month".....or "I'm going to switch out the regular milk in my cappuccino for soymilk". Small stuff.
    So my advice, find your big motivation. What is it that you really want. Then, always go back to that when you start to feel a little bummed and ready to quit. Then, set a small goal. Make a small change. Keep it simple, something you can achieve without drastically changing your everyday life......and it's funny, because it might end up drastically changing your life in the end. :) Good luck!!!
  • LMick1986
    Options
    If I may , I would suggest doing the 80 day challenge ( I can send it to you if you'd like) . It is just a series of motivational questions that make you really think about what you want in life. Every day , you get on here and answer the question of the day . Like for example , today I am supposed to be vegan for the whole day and see if I like it or not . Yesterday , I had to describe \my ideal body .

It really helps ! If you need any motivation at all , feel free to message me :)

Oooohhh! What's this 80 Day Challenge you speak of?! I like little challenges!
  • gerryca
    gerryca Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First, you have to not be disgusted with yourself. You have to realize that everyone falls off somewhere....and that's why we are ALL here. We ALL want some kind of change. Find people that motivate and support you (this is the perfect place!). I can't say what it is exactly that has kept me motivated this long (I've only been at this for two months), but this is the longest I've done something like this. I just got really excited when I saw even the smallest bit of results. :) I set a goal....more what I wanted, I guess. Something so simple like "I want to look great in a bikini next summer". From there, I set very small goals for myself.....because I fail with big goals. I didn't want that to happen. I said something like "I want to lose just three pounds this month".....or "I'm going to switch out the regular milk in my cappuccino for soymilk". Small stuff.
    So my advice, find your big motivation. What is it that you really want. Then, always go back to that when you start to feel a little bummed and ready to quit. Then, set a small goal. Make a small change. Keep it simple, something you can achieve without drastically changing your everyday life......and it's funny, because it might end up drastically changing your life in the end. :) Good luck!!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You have to really, truly want it
    When you want it bad enough you'll find the inner strength. Everyone has an inner strength waiting to be called upon.
  • Callean321
    Callean321 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooo MUCH for your replies...they brought tears to my eyes. I have decided that I am going to make a list of the reasons why I WANT so desperately to lose weight and put it in my purse and then when I am tempted to go off my plan I will read the list . I don't know why....I just am so happy in the moment and then end up binging on family dinner or at a party and then feel disgusted afterward which leads to more binge eating....I NEED to do something to stop this cycle....it's not just bad for my health but it is breaking my spirit.....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals is what did it for me. I wanted to do the Warrior Dash, with my brother and my niece. They're both crazy athletic... I didn't want to not be able to keep up with them.

My first week here, I was dragged taking my Pekingese for a walk. Within a month, I was able to run one mile, and that was amazing. Within another month, I could run a 3 miles. A couple months after that, I passed my brother in a 5 mile race and finished just 7 seconds behind my very athletic 24 year old niece.

Don't think about it as losing weight. Think about it as living the life you deserve to lead and treating your body the way it deserves to be treated. The rest will fall into place.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Personally, having friends who are supporting me & keeping me accountable has been so important to finding success! I would strongly encourage you to find friends and/or co-workers who are also trying to get healthy & work together at it.

For the past year I've been part of a fitness challenge at work and we're getting ready to regroup again in January. We weigh in & meet once a week to see how everyone is doing. Everyone is going to have ups and downs but it's wonderful to be a part of a group that's trying to encourage each other to make good decisions & not beat each other up when we fail :smile:
  • plumpchik
    Options
    MA MOTTO: when u want to quit; remember WHY you started!!!!! it has helped me stay on track!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i can't deadlift 500 lbs yet.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Write down as many reasons as you can. Add to them over time.
    Measure and track improvement.
    Set interim, short-term, reasonable goals. For instance, what can you achieve in one month? How will you celebrate that achievement? (No, not with food.)
    Think about what happens if you quit. Do you want to be healthy? Do you want to stay unhealthy and get worse to the point where ... fill in the blank, examples: you need medication to control blood pressure, diabetes, unable to enjoy a walk with your family?

P.S. Use distraction too. When you are tempted, try doing something else. If at home, exercise. At a party, go ask someone (preferably not someone next to the buffet) a question about something interesting. If out with family, focus on enjoying their company. If alone, read something, check out MyFitnessPal message boards, work on a hobby you enjoy (best if it require both hands and concentration).
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    MA MOTTO: when u want to quit; remember WHY you started!!!!! it has helped me stay on track!

i like it!
  • ic3co0l
    ic3co0l Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have a problem with this time from time. I totally know how you feel about the food being more important than the desire to be thin.

It may take some time, but I PSYCH myself into it. To do this, I scramble and hustle to find anything and everything that I can soak up motivation (can take days or weeks). For example, searching/following fitness gurus (the ones that get me going), watching fat/thin documentaries, watching motivational videos, transformation videos, watching movies with actresses that I admire (body). I also have to REITERATE myself with the basic "eating rules" all over again and without fail, I always LEARN something new. You also have to PLAN PLAN PLAN.. (i.e what you're eating and how much). I feel like the only real room for error is lack of planning. I know when I do not plan, I blatantly have nothing to focus on and the day becomes "free for all".

Getting "into it" is easier said than done. You have to find out what YOUR personal needs are (whether it be what kinds of foods to disregard, how many calories per day, relief from an eating disorder etc)... take baby steps.. don't just overwhelm yourself with everything.. that's another easy way to fail and get unmotivated. Take a first step, as soon as you master that, then move on to the next, etc. "It's a marathon, not a sprint".

Another really good thing for me is INSPIRATIONAL BOARDS.. I print pics with fitness quotes that are personal for me and get me going. Also several pictures of people I admire and make me ashamed when I want to eat something unnecessary. Make a board and post it somewhere in your room. I mostly snack in my room so having the board is very useful.

I may be different from you but I struggle with impulsive emotional eating/binge eating. I also have this bad relationship with food in general. If you want any more details as to how I gradually control it... feel free to message me.

Best of luck! you can do it! It's easy to fall off the wagon, but you making this post today.. is a first step back on :)
  • butterboots89
    Options
    I like that quote too! My personal motto has been "just when you think you are done fighting, remember what was worth fighting for!" I have suffered from depression, anxiety, addiction and bad eating habits. I tell myself that just when I feel like giving up and throwing in the towel, there was and is something that is worth keeping up the fight for whether it's your health, self-esteem or your family.
  • butterboots89
    Options

I like that quote too! My personal motto has been "just when you think you are done fighting, remember what was worth fighting for!" I have suffered from depression, anxiety, addiction and bad eating habits. I tell myself that just when I feel like giving up and throwing in the towel, there was and is something that is worth keeping up the fight for whether it's your health, self-esteem or your family.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I stay motivated by keeping my goals modest.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just MAKE it a part of my daily lifestyle which I find to be motivating. The more I look and feel, the more motivating. I sleep great, I fit in clothes better, my skin is smooth, I feel more energize, etc. I think positive so I can keep motivated everyday :)