Fashion Advice...skinny jeans

Options
jrbowers83
jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
Ok, so I need some fashion advice from those more knowledgable about these things. I grew up poor with a mom who cared nothing about looks, so haven't had any female role model about these things. I always thought skinny jeans were just for pencil thin models. Well, I accidentally bought a pair yesterday...I loved the thin stretchy fabric, color, and it was my NEW size 8, so I was happy. I had my 16 mo daughter with me while shopping, so couldn't try them on in a fitting room. When I got home I was at first really disappointed with the skinny jean look, but when I looked in the mirror I realized they were great for showing off my now-muscular calves and slimm(er) thighs, and made my 5'3" frame look taller/slimmer. The only problem is I have no idea what to wear with them. I have a pic that I took today, but don't know if a blousy shirt is the most flattering and have no shoes that look right. Any advice?

IMG00428-20100331-1604.jpg

Replies

• haleybabe96
    Options
    well, ballet flats look really cute with them.
    actually anything kind of smaller slimmer shoe looks nice, nothing blocky.
    and your shirt looks great <3
  • anthea1989
    Options
    i think you look great. With a skinny jean i think its always best to keep the top loose fitted and a little longer then standard tshirt length. Its more flattering that way and balances everything out. Thats just my opinion anyway.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ballet flats idea. I typically wear mine under knee high boots (the two pair I've found that actually fit over my calves).
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    THE JEANS LOOK AWESOME!!!! WOW!!! I think the shirt you are wearing is ok, but with that body, wear something more fitted. Old Navy has some great items right now for really great prices, little t's & tank tops, just make sure to get a small bc they run a little big. As for shoes, I would wear flip flops or ballet flats, nothing to bulky. You look awesome, so run with it girly! You are one hot Mama!!! :smile:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Those jeans are great!
    I usually wear ballet flats with that style of jeans, so I agree with the other posters.
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    They are cute. They look good with heels or flats. Anything but sneakers!!
  • Яaquel
    Яaquel Posts: 90
    Options
    Heels or flats or Knee high Boots =]
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you're going out on the town for dinner, I'd wear some really cute heels. It will make you look taller and you'll carry yourself better. The top is good for daytime (then wear the flats). With your figure, something more form-fitting for evening, maybe a tank layered with another top. Do you have a Charlotte Russe clothing store? They have really cute clothes. My DIL is a manager there and she wears the cutest things.

And yes -- I forgot -- knee high boots would look really good with those jeans.
  • supercool111
    Options
    i think you look great. With a skinny jean i think its always best to keep the top loose fitted and a little longer then standard tshirt length. Its more flattering that way and balances everything out. Thats just my opinion anyway.

ditto
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    First, I have to say, you have GREAT legs. Seriously, I'm jealous. Haha

Second, go for a darker wash jean if you're going to go for a skinny jean look. They look more professional and the dark color makes your legs look thinner and longer. I have found that ballet flats look best with skinny jeans. As for tops, try something a little darker (darker or more rich/saturated colors would probably look better with your skin tone - think deep blue, purple, a dark magenta) and try something a little fitted. If you're worried about your stomach or feel uncomfortable in tighter tops, try a wrap shirt or something with an accentuated waist with banding or a belt of some sort. :]

Hope this helps!! :] You really do look fabulous. Those or just some suggestions to turn you A outfit into an A+.
  • Keltinator
    Keltinator Posts: 265
    Options
    i think ballet flats are universally the best for skinny jeans. i wear converse but then again my wardrobe consists of hoodies and t shirts.. haha. i don't think they'd be appropriate for you lol.

as for the top i think looser and a tad long is better with skinnies but there needs to be some kind of definition like at the waist or right under the bust (i.e. empire cut)

p.s. your legs look fabuloso in those jeans :)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say u look FAB!
    I always wear my dark wash skinny jeans with knee high black boots
    Flats would work, but I hate flats...feel they make me look dumpy
    You could wear a nice heel and blazer!

Kim
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I totally agree, ballet flats, or tucked in boots, or cute heels to dress them up more for going out :happy:

Can't wait til I can get back into my skinnies!!

You look great btw!! :flowerforyou:
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I used to HATE skinny jeans too... I'm so short (and definitey NOT a stick girl, lol) that I can really only do mine w/some casual suede knee high boots (see one of the pics on my profile, I'm actuall wearing my one pair that I have). I agree w/other posts that a darker wash is always more flattering. I pretty much refuse to buy any light colored jeans, they just don't work on my figure. Good thinking w/the flowy shirt though... w/the jeans being so fitted it's good to balance it out on top and not wear something super tight. At most, I'll wear a turtleneck sweater, skinny jeans, and knee high boots. Lol needless to say the jeans will never be worn during warmer months! Congrats on your progress thus far and keep it up! :-)