best exercise for making waist smaller?

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my waist has gotten smaller by doing hot yoga ~4 days/week. I imagine regular yoga has the same effects. Also, yoga is so relaxing so another plus!

Sorry - yoga won't help you reduce anything, unless you are also eating at a CALORIE DEFICIT and I love yoga so I must be telling you TRUE!
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you! My calories are set at 1200 so I try to stay at or just below that and do walking and Zumba so maybe that is what has caused the reduction of 3 inches I've seen so far. I haven't heard of some of these exercises (the Russian twist?) so I will definitely look into that.

Thank you everybody for the advice and insight.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

since when is the correct answer trolling?
  • mlunav67
    mlunav67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the most effective I've found is using a weighted hula hoop.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am within 10-15 pounds of my eventual goal weight and one of the things I'd like to get back is a smaller waist. I am not familiar with weight lifting so when people recommend things like "do lats" I have no idea what that means.

Are there specific exercises that I can do to help strengthen the muscles but assist in reducing my waist size versus getting a "boxy" look? (And yes, I know you can't spot reduce, read that many times on these forums so please don't respond with that). Looking for advice on if there are specific exercise that can be used...yup, also understand that genetics and body shape come into play as well. When I was younger I had more of an hourglass figure so I know that I fit into that category.

Thanks...
    If your natural shape is hourglass, then when you are a healthy weight, you will have an hourglass figure. You can't exercise yourself into that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
    Or in exercise terms, "table pushaways" and "fork putdowns".

There's no such thing as spot reducing. Your body will lose fat in the pattern defined by your genetics. You can't "exercise" fat, so while workouts or exercises targeting a certain part of your body may improve the muscles beneath the fat, they'll do absolutely nothing to get rid of the fat itself....at least not in that particular area in preference to anywhere else on your body.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

You can also youtube Jillian Michaels six week six pack. It focuses on the core, which is what you're aming for.

So you are giving advices without even understanding what is calorie deficit? :smokin:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

You can also youtube Jillian Michaels six week six pack. It focuses on the core, which is what you're aming for.
    Actually calorie deficit is the right answer. Its rude to call someone a troll for that.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

Actually calorie deficit is the right answer. Its rude to call someone a troll for that.

I reported the post. That felt good.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are there specific exercises that I can do to assist in reducing my waist size

(And yes, I know you can't spot reduce).

ummm..... .don't mean to be sarcastic, but you answered your own question.. the best excersize you can do to reduce your waist is the wisk move, and the veggie chop ;) It's all about the Kitchen!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Your advice is basically incorrect, the 'trolls' advice is correct.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am within 10-15 pounds of my eventual goal weight and one of the things I'd like to get back is a smaller waist. I am not familiar with weight lifting so when people recommend things like "do lats" I have no idea what that means.

Are there specific exercises that I can do to help strengthen the muscles but assist in reducing my waist size versus getting a "boxy" look? (And yes, I know you can't spot reduce, read that many times on these forums so please don't respond with that). Looking for advice on if there are specific exercise that can be used...yup, also understand that genetics and body shape come into play as well. When I was younger I had more of an hourglass figure so I know that I fit into that category.

Thanks...

Since you know you cannot spot-reduce, the thread is pretty much over, no?

You won't reduce your waist size (spot reduction) through anything but fat loss.

If you want "curves" while staying muscular and low-bodyfat, you need to build your traps, lats, and glutes. End of story. Fortunately those are easy - just load up on chin-ups (i.e. wide-grip palms-out, not close-grip palms-in) and squats.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I've read about studies showing that people who walk a lot usually have smaller waists. May be part of why I have a 25" waist at 50 years old, even after having 3 kids and spending a decade in the obese range. I used to have a big belly. It's gone. But I don't think it was the only factor. I also changed my diet considerably, have been pretty disciplined about calorie balance for over 4 years now, learned a lot of stress management techniques, and my hormonal balance has changed. All of those have been cited as likely factors in what triggers your body to store or burn "visceral fat" from the abdominal area. So while I can't say exactly what worked and why, obviously something, or some combination of things has worked out phenomenally well for me. Good luck to you!

Wow...I need to do what you do!! :)
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I say SQUAT!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

What is wrong with this answer? The best way to reduce weight and body fat is with A calorie deficit.

Seconded, Best way to get a smaller waist is to lose fat, you lose fat by a calorie deficit.

Is it trolling if I said 6 pack abs are made in the kitchen?

Yeah, c'mon people. Stop telling them the truth and start telling them what they want to hear: I know you can't spot reduce, but you want to spot reduce, so...lots of crunches, I guess.
  • Shnarffles
    Options
    no such thing a spot reduction...abs are made in the Kitchen so diet and ecercise consistantly
    1000 sit ups is going to do nothing in the long run
    Eat as clean as possible and gain lean muscle/strip of the fat
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    run
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    run

From this thread, right?

Good advice.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    as everyone else has stated, healthy diet is key. But I do Standing Oblique Twists with a medicine ball.
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

What is wrong with this answer? The best way to reduce weight and body fat is with A calorie deficit.

Seconded, Best way to get a smaller waist is to lose fat, you lose fat by a calorie deficit.

Is it trolling if I said 6 pack abs are made in the kitchen?

Yeah, c'mon people. Stop telling them the truth and start telling them what they want to hear: I know you can't spot reduce, but you want to spot reduce, so...lots of crunches, I guess.

She can exercise by doing strength training and overall her body will give the illusion of having a smaller waist when she builds muscle. It is not spot training. It is a woman's physique. Look at LorinaLynn's post on the first page. It's exactly what she's asking about in her question - strength training, specific exercises. Working out makes women curvy - calorie deficits just make you thin.