best exercise for making waist smaller?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

You can also youtube Jillian Michaels six week six pack. It focuses on the core, which is what you're aming for.

What is wrong with this answer? The best way to reduce weight and body fat is with A calorie deficit.

Seconded, Best way to get a smaller waist is to lose fat, you lose fat by a calorie deficit.

Is it trolling if I said 6 pack abs are made in the kitchen?

Yeah, c'mon people. Stop telling them the truth and start telling them what they want to hear: I know you can't spot reduce, but you want to spot reduce, so...lots of crunches, I guess.

She can exercise by doing strength training and overall her body will give the illusion of having a smaller waist when she builds muscle. It is not spot training. It is a woman's physique. Look at LorinaLynn's post on the first page. It's exactly what she's asking about in her question - strength training, specific exercises. Working out makes women curvy - calorie deficits just make you thin.

We must be reading different OPs. The one I read wanted exercises that reduced the size of her waist (in addition to strengthening). I am aware of no strength exercises for muscle shrinking.

Don't misunderstand...I am not anti-strength training. I am anti-believing that certain exercises reduce a certain area of the body.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

You can also youtube Jillian Michaels six week six pack. It focuses on the core, which is what you're aming for.

What is wrong with this answer? The best way to reduce weight and body fat is with A calorie deficit.

Seconded, Best way to get a smaller waist is to lose fat, you lose fat by a calorie deficit.

Is it trolling if I said 6 pack abs are made in the kitchen?

Yeah, c'mon people. Stop telling them the truth and start telling them what they want to hear: I know you can't spot reduce, but you want to spot reduce, so...lots of crunches, I guess.

She can exercise by doing strength training and overall her body will give the illusion of having a smaller waist when she builds muscle. It is not spot training. It is a woman's physique. Look at LorinaLynn's post on the first page. It's exactly what she's asking about in her question - strength training, specific exercises. Working out makes women curvy - calorie deficits just make you thin.

LorinaLynn is a natural hourglass/pear shape. You CANNOT create an hourglass or pear shape if you don't have one naturally. I am curvy regardless of my weight or whether I exercise because that is the shape I was born with. There are plenty of women who work out and diet and lift who are thin and in great shape but do not have an hourglass or pear shape because that is not the body they were meant to have. You can't change your bone structure without surgery.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn is a natural hourglass/pear shape. You CANNOT create an hourglass or pear shape if you don't have one naturally.

That's true. Even at my heaviest and my skinniest when I was young, my waist was about 10 inches smaller than my hips. If my ribs and hipbones weren't the size and shape they are, I couldn't make my waist any smaller.

Strength training, though, did help matters. Without any strength training, I was very much a pear. With it, I've built up my back and shoulders more that my waist LOOK smaller and my upper half is in better proportion to my bottom half.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    Getting into my Spanx is exercise, and it makes my waist seem smaller... does that count? :laugh:
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Getting into my Spanx is exercise, and it makes my waist seem smaller... does that count? :laugh:

True facts.
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Eat clean, weight training, high intensity interval training exercises (burpees, squats, jumping jacks, push ups, etc), light cardio, calorie deficit. That's what has worked for me : ) lost 65 lbs (baby weight ) in 8 months.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    Everything depends on your diet, honestly.

The tried and cliche term is no less term: Abs are made in the kitchen.

However, lately I have noticed that if I wear a weight belt while doing my lifts, my waist has gotten smaller. It's mostly the diet, of course, but if you wear a weight belt, it'll teach you how to breathe with your stomach in, and your body will adapt and do it on your own.

Deadlifts and a bunch of other things (...a weighted hula hoop?) will actually widen your waist because they work your obliques.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    One of the most effective I've found is using a weighted hula hoop.
    I have one and you have motivated me to use it daily while watching TV.
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    Eat less calories.LOL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Losing fat overall.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I randomly googled, "How to get a smaller waist" and this came up:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Smaller-Waist

Take from it what you will.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn is a natural hourglass/pear shape. You CANNOT create an hourglass or pear shape if you don't have one naturally. I am curvy regardless of my weight or whether I exercise because that is the shape I was born with. There are plenty of women who work out and diet and lift who are thin and in great shape but do not have an hourglass or pear shape because that is not the body they were meant to have. You can't change your bone structure without surgery.
    [/quote]

Exactly. I am an hourglass and always have been, even at 55lbs heavier. I've lost 10 inches off my waist, but also 10 off my hips, and 10 off each thigh!

What I did....exercise lots, strength train, and eat healthily!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Stress can also be a factor with cortisol building up tummy fat.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the best calorie burners.
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    Nutrition is 80% of weight loss. It's simple - you must expend more calories than you consume. So yes - calorie deficit is correct. However, you do need to add exercise as an overall weight loss/trimming goal. The more muscle you have, the more fat/calories you burn. So keep doing those crunches! Also, the person who posted about cortisol is correct as well - stress can cause fat to build in your mid-section. So try to keep stress at a minimum.
    One more thing - and I'm sure you already know this - because fat comes off your body evenly, it will come off your problem areas last, which will make it seem like you are not losing anything. I am an apple shape - whenever I gain even a few pounds, my arms, legs, butt, back, shoulders, and thighs remain toned and slim - but my belly gets slightly bigger. It's frustrating but that's just the shape I am. My belly will always be the last to go, but if I keep up with proper diet and exercise, it WILL go!! Good luck! :)
  • Bourgeoisqueen
    Bourgeoisqueen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Brazilian Butt Lift is the best for shrinking the waist line.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Also a great way to destroy your back.

Really? I'm curious to see your evidence that a slow, gentle oscillating exercise destroys the back.

For more information get Stuart McGill’s book "Low Back Disorders" out of the Library. The lumbar spine is designed to rotate 13 degrees. Russian twists are designed to use rotation of the Lumbar spine far greater than that. Just as an interesting aside I found a video of Stuart McGill talking about spine health which is well worth looking at. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033ogPH6NNE

Also you can look here, in particular the first video illustrates how our lumbar spine is not designed to twist. http://nicktumminello.com/2010/02/low-back-pain-an-inside-look-at-the-spine/ Albeit, it is done with a pig spin, but the lumbar regions are similar enough in their lack of rotational range.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Based on the responses, I guess people still believe that certain exercises make waists smaller.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Based on the responses, I guess people still believe that certain exercises make waists smaller.

Pretty much.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

This. Abs are made in the kitchen....at least that is what I've read.